Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Upgrading From P4 2.53 to 3.06 Worth It?

Guest FPSFREAK

Although Hyperthreading is a significant performance advantage the only benefit you will see is when running programs that take advantage of SMP or sequential multiproccessing. FS2k2 doesnt do this. Most programs do not really take advantage of this feature yet so I would have to say wait and save your money. Or take that money you were going to spend and buy yourself a P4T533-C and some Samsung 32ns PC1066. Amazing performance over single channel DDR. Want to see the biggest performance increase pop a 9700 pro in and watch with amazement..Hope this helps.Bobby

Guest josh0571

PeterWhere in Sydney are you??Josh

I have a P4PE board as well, with a 2400 processor.By changing the clock in the BIOS setup from 133 to 150, I ran theprocessor at 2.7 Gig. When I kept the PCI/AGP bus at the standard33/66 setting, the fps change was not even noticeable.. only if I left the bus setting on auto, effectively overclocking the bus also..then I picked up a few fps.In other words, unless you can double the processor speed, don't bother. You've got a great system.. go flying instead and spend the moneyon add-on aircraft like the Meridian, you'll be glad you did!

Bert

Andrew, I went from 1.8 to 2.8 o/c to 3ghz recently. Regarding simflyers, i have the Dulles scenery they made.Depending on the amount of AI planes that are around, i generally get 15-25fps with the scenery set at very dense (ai around 80%). And thats with most sliders maxed, 4x antialiasing and vsync on.it generally smooth even when I push the limit. Now there are times when it drops to around 9-10 (briefly) if A LOT is going on. But 90% of the time its smooth sailing!!!!In fewer words, do it if you have the money! You will notice a HUGE increase from 1.3 to 3ghz.