Sign in to follow this  
Guest PARADISE

LANDING/TAXI LIGHTS ADJUSTMENTS

Guest PARADISE

Hi Guys,After installing Real Environment Pro I noticed that some of the landing/taxi lights are not illuminating the runway as they should. I have Aircraft Spotlight "on" and it works fine on most of the aircraft, both add-on and default, however on a few models it looks like the lights are aimed too far down the runway. My question is, can the Landing/Taxi lights be adjusted in Aircraft CFG file? I see some entries for lights, but having learned the hard way, I would rather ask first than start messing with something in any files.Pre-thanks for any replies. By the way thanks again for those of you that answered my thread re: FE and REP. I just installed FE and WOW what a difference that makes. I don't own FSX yet, but my scenery/weather appears to look just like their screen shots.John M

Guest ThrottleUp

You can easily tweak any .fx (effects) file. Before you do anything:1. Backup the aircraft.cfg ( a simple CTRL+C, CTRL+V operation)2. Backup the Effects file (dump it on a cd or something)Now you can tweak and tweak and tweak all you want with no fear. If something goes funny just restore your backups.I have tweaked strobe lights & nav lights a lot to make them more realistic - for exampe I have moved the iFDG A320 strobes to their realistic location and also made them smaller (they were looking like golf-balls!). I have'nt played with landing lights though but see no reason they can't be.All you need to do is note the name of the effects file from the aircraft.cfg and then go to that file, open it in Notepad and off you go! For example here is a lights entry for an Airbus A318:----------------------------------------------------light.4 = 2, -17, 55.3, 4.1, iFDG_A320_whitestrobe----------------------------------------------------So to tweak the above light you just go to the Effects folder and look for the file called iFDG_A320_whitestrobe.fx and drag it into Notepad.Remember to arrange files by name in the Effects folder to make it easy to find them. Good luck!

Guest PARADISE

Hi Nevin, Thanks for the fast reply. I forgot about the Effects file. I'll have a look there (after backing up of course) and let you know. The issue is not as much the location of the landing lights on the aircraft, but rather where the illumination from them is on the runway. REP makes the illumination much more realistic by condensing the light beams to the center of the runway. In some of my models (CLS' Airbus 300-600 for example) the lights do not illuminate the runway anymore with REP engaged. On others it is very faint.I'll play around with it,.... of course it may just be a case of a hard landing and I need to take the bird to maintenance.John M

This is what my LL look like. Some might find them bright but with all the dark airports around I need em that way so I do not bump into United or A Virgin,,LOL,, during taxi. The lights are adjusted via the Retract/extend landing light sw on the overhead panel or you can assign any set of keyboard keys to do the same.As for the effects file: I did not tweak those but adjusted the position of the files via the config files along with the spotlight bmp to get the result I am pleaded with,Regards,Douglas.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/161250.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/161251.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/161252.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/161253.jpg

I have a Cessna 182 (FS9 model) in which I cannot see the landing lights from the cockpit which rather defeats the purpose of the lights.Anyone know a work around please?

Guest PARADISE

If you're using Real Environment Pro. then contact Tim Fuchs at timest999@Yahoo.com.(see thread above) He can send you a patch for landing lights. I used it and it will improve your landing light situation somewhat.John M

Guest PARADISE

You may also need to adjust the landing lights using the commands found on your kneeboard. I believe its 'Shift + Number Pad 5 and 8' to move them.John M

Guest ThrottleUp

-----------------------------------------------I have a Cessna 182 (FS9 model) in which I cannot see the landing lights from the cockpit which rather defeats the purpose of the lights.-----------------------------------------------Hello Bill, 1. Start FS9 and then go to Settings2. Select Display3. Select Aircraft4. Make sure the Landing Lights box is checkedHope that worked?! :)

Regret that didn't help but grateful thanks for trying.Perhaps to make it clearer I can see the landing lights for this particular aircraft from all views except the (2D) cockpit.

Hi,That usually means the model itself is not constructed properly.I do see this occasionally when the eyepoint in the aircraft.cfg file has been set to some odd value not near the cockpit, but this too is usually an MDL problem.Sorry,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___