Sign in to follow this  
crisu19

FS9 crashes on startup after IE7 final installation

Hi all,After many autoupdate reminder of the IE7 update I decided to do it. I installed the new IE7 final. Two days later I would like to have a short flight, but the FS9 does not start. I got the splashscreen for a few seconds and the the FS9 crashes. Every time I tried to start the FS9 I got also two entries in the eventlog (application). But the eventlog entries have not gaven me an idea what's wrong. First I thought, that the problem was in the FS9.CFG, so I let the FS9 create a new one, but before it has been able to do so, it crashes. Then I thought, maybe there is a problem with the graphic drivers, so I downloaded the latest version of the ATI Redeon drivers, but without any success. After that I reinstalled the FS9.1 update, but ...After many horrible hours I remembered, that I have installed the IE7 two days ago. I have found an article on the Microsoft Page (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555608) stating that there is a problem with IE7 Beta and the OLEACC.DLL in the FS9 directory and deleting or renaming of the file will help. Nevertheless my FS9 does still crash at startup.Only after uninstalling the IE7 I got my FS9 up again! :-)Has anyone experienced the same behaviour after installion the IE7? Or are there solutions to the problem? Christian

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have had no problems with IE7 - I expect there is some sort of a file mismatch in your system that is causing the problem. You might check the messages in the system event manager and see if there is any clue to be found there.DJ

Yes, I first had a look at the entries in the system event manager. Every time I started the FS9 I got two new entries in the application section. The entries state that there ist a problem with a registration or dll, but there was no information which dll causes the crash. There was a hint, that I should use "/AUXSOURCE" to get more information. But I don't know how to use the "/AUXSOURCE" parameter with FS9.Well, I think also that there is a problme with some incompatible dll files, but how can I find out wich one is the one causing the crash?Christian

That parameter is probably not helpful. MS has a downloadable tool called depends.exe, which can be downloaded from the MS site, that will inspect an exe or dll file and give you a list of all dependencies. Looking at iexplore.exe, my guess is that the problem is one of the ole automation dll's. You can run regsvr32 against them and see if it helps - re-registration won't hurt if they are already registered. Also remove/rename any copy of msvcrt.dll that you might find in your main FS9 directory since it is generally older than those installed by more recent apps. One thing that I sort of wonder is if you are running the English language versions of IE, FS9, and XP? If not, there might be some weird globalization mismatch between them.As one who has to fix these sorts of problems professionally, I can tell you that finding the solutions is frequently a painful process!DJ

I remember having issues with Norton Anti-virus during the IE7 install. Something about certain IE files were not allowed.I completely deleted Norton. It's a good protection system, but I've read it goes very,very deep into your files and runs even when you disable it. I went with Mcafee and have had no issues since then. Can't tell you for sure it was Norton that was the culprit but if you are using it try a complete uninstall and try a FS9 startup.John M

For what it is worth, I get the same two entries in my event viewer. I also uninstalled IE7 (since I use FireFox anyway), rebooted and installed FS again and I get those entries in the event viewer. I have been fighting this pain in the arse for two weeks now, and my frustration is documented in the topic "Crashing when I load a flight or press "Fly Now!"" I keep on saying that I am going to give up on it, but I guess I enjoy the frustration and cannot let it go.Craig