Sign in to follow this  
Guest 737767

ATIS range question.

Guest 737767

for North Atlantic crossings, I would like to be able to listen to weather reports of diversion fields like Keflavik or S

This is one of my longest wishes for FS. More so, I'd love ActiveSky Flightwatch to pick up destination ATIS from further out. I'm always using the "fetch" command for wx to try and set up my arrival runways.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest PARADISE

I usually check the real weather forecasts before takeoff. There are a number of links you can go to (www.weatherunderground.com is one of my favorites, it shows both aviation weather and regular forecasts). It gives you a pretty good idea of what type of weather to expect upon arrival, which can help determine which runway(s) will be in use.John M

Guest 737767

I use the Fetch function as well, but I would like to make procedures a bit more real.So if anybody knows where those frecuencies actually are coded within FS 2004 I will be glad for a hint.regards

If it's realism you're after, the fetch is actually closer to it than ATIS broadcasts that can be heard from 1000nm away. These days, wx is usually obtained via ACARS, which is just a fetch using a different system...RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest Joeeen

What is the Fetch method? So there isn

Guest JTEK99

Well, I use the 122.00 frequency in ActiveSky as well, but of late, I really like this little utility created by Yorgos Hantzopoulos: 'METAR/TAF Decoder (English version)'.Here's the developer's description:-------------------------------------METAR/TAF DECODER is a script which replaces the default keyboard shortcuts page of the FS 2004 kneeboard and provides real world METAR and TAF information inside Flight Simulator. The script connects to the main METAR/TAF web application which can be found at http://metar.hvaip.net- METAR/TAF reports for all airports decoded in plain english/greek- Runway information including suggestion for active runway based on surface winds- Crosswind component calculation for landing/take off-------------------------------------It's pretty accurate whenever I've used it and have been able to plan my approach accordingly. You can essentially "test" it out at the website provided above (http://metar.hvaip.net). The kneeboard version has exactly the same features/capabilities and, obviously, you can access it in-flight without shelling out to your web browser or some other utility. Handy for full-screen fliers.Try it out. It's freeware and doesn't muck with anything critical at all in FS9. No brainer.http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=...hor=&CatID=rootHope this helps.

lolololololololololololNo one really answered his question, Im not sure if there is a way, I just find it funny,everybody is offering diffrent advice other than the one posted.lololololololololololol

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Guest JTEK99

>lololololololololololol>>No one really answered his question, Im not sure if there is a>way, I just find it funny,everybody is offering diffrent>advice other than the one posted.lolololololololololololA. Is it really that funny? (re: "lolololol....") I mean.. that's a lot of laughter, after all. Worth a giggle, perhaps, but... well, you get the idea.B. In reference to your statement that everyone's advice was different than "the one posted", you should note that the thread-starter didn't offer any advice. He asked a question for which, I suppose, no one has provided a satisfactory answer (or at the very least, not satisfactory enough for you). I just find it funny that you didn't offer anything at all to the thread. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I never said it wasn't satisfactory, never said all the posts were useless, in fact very informative, just not what he was asking, not trying to be ignorant, just thought it was funny, sorry you got so offended by it."In reference to your statement that everyone's advice was different than "the one posted", you should note that the thread-starter didn't offer any advice. He asked a question for which, I suppose, no one has provided a satisfactory answer (or at the very least, not satisfactory enough for you)." sorry for not wording my words correctly, im going on 20hrs no sleep, just got back from work, and this thread made me laugh after a hard days work. i guess we are not suppose to have a good laugh around here once in a while, I'll keep that in mind for next time.anyways good night.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Guest Joeeen

This is the thing. I use PMDGs SIDs and STARs in FS2004 "singleplayer". To do that you must flyg VFR? If you fly IFR ATC will just give you vectors all the time an not let you fly your SID/STAR. If I fly VFR, the only way for me to know what runway is in use at an airport, is to listen to ATIS, right? (I want to know what runway is in use so I can choose the appropriate STAR)I hope somone can give me some tips. thank you for answering!regards johan

Guest JTEK99

Joeeen:Well, everyone who flies a complex commercial addon has this problem. I fly IFR with FMC-equipped aircraft and here are some ideas on how to get what you want accomplished:----------------------------------SIDSNotes: FS9/X ATC is rigid, so you can't just change your SID on-the-fly. That's how it is.Option A: BEFORE getting IFR clearance from ATC, get the ATIS info for the airport in order to know what the active runway is. THEN create your flightplan, making sure you enter the actual SID waypoints and such so that ATC works as best as it can with your departure route. Option B: don't worry about the SID and let ATC do its work. You're a pilot, not an Air Traffic Controller; you have no idea how many airplanes are in the sky at the moment and have no reason to question how the controller does his/her job. Just follow the directions for departure and shaddup. :)-----------------------------------STARS and TERMINAL PROCEDURES:Notes: Well, you can't hear ATIS and active runway info for your arrival airport until you're about 80 miles out. Of course, the minute you're in ATIS range, ATC is assigning you vectors for the active runway.Option A: You can request another approach from the Controller, you know, as well as another runway. You *have* seen that menu item in the ATC window, right? Many of the standard approaches in FS9/X match their modern counterparts pretty well; if you find a match (or near-match) for an ILS/VOR/VOR-DME/NDB/Visual approach and transition that's in your FMC, then ask ATC for it. ATC will normally give you carte blanche in getting to the transition point and guide you to an altitude that -- most of the time -- is pretty consistent with the approach chart. Remember, again, that you're a pilot. The altitude that ATC requests may NOT be an absolute match for the altitude you should be at a given point in your approach... but, hey... that's how it goes in the real world, too. You do what they tell you; not the other way around. Your FMC is a tool; it's not the commander of known airspace. :)Option B: Upon finding out the active runway from ATIS, cancel IFR! You can fly the approach exactly the way you want (and can request flight following for traffic watch if you'd like), and then contact the arrival airport normally for landing rights. Easy as pie.-----------------------------------Some folks will tell you to fly VATSIM/IVAO (i.e., 'online'); others will tell you to get Radar Contact 4, etc. Flying online is great and hyper-realistic, but you should note that -- again, like the real world -- things may not always turn out as you have pre-programmed in your FMC.Radar Contact (which I use) is great, but it doesn't exactly *know* all the approaches in FS, nor can you 'update' them in any way. RC gets around the problem of not 'knowing' the exact approach you're going to fly by simply allowing you to fly it without much restriction (excepting altitude). RC4 doesn't have the foggiest regarding an approach pattern; they're simply not programmed in. However, you can 'request' a VOR/DME/NDB/ILS approach without vectoring and it will let you fly it pretty much without interruption.Most importantly, you should realize that there is NO perfect solution to the conundrum that's common to FMC users. FS9/X ATC is what it is, RC4 is what it is. You have to work with them, and that's that.

Guest Joeeen

JTEK99:Thank you for a good answer. I

Guest JTEK99

>JTEK99:>>Thank you for a good answer. I