Sign in to follow this  
Guest glazer

.pln format

Guest glazer

Can someone tell me please where to get a full listing of the format used in .pln file. I am thinking of writing my own flight plan files from another computer program. I have searched the web and can find lots of programs that creat the .pln files, but I want to know the details about the format of these files themselves.Mike

.pln files are plain text files and can be opened with Notepad. You can work out the format yourself by looking a few of them.

Guest glazer

Not completely. For instance what does routetype mean? similarly I can see labels A V I which clearly mean airport, VOR,intersection. Are there any others?

Why not experiment by trying different features in a flight plan and seeing the effects?

They are text files - however FSX .PLN files are XML based while FS2004 files are plan text.The waypoints are obvious - the types are:A AirportN NDBV VORI IntersectionI have seen .PLN files were people entered intersections names and positions which do not exist in FS2004, and the aircraft/ GPS had no trouble following those fake waypoints.The header information is pretty clear, except for routetype= which you need to do some experimentation to discover the values.The other questionable value is the departue_position= value. This should be an index number from the starting airport. This is where the aircraft will be placed is the pilot selects to move the aircraft to the departure airport. I don't know if the start positions offset the taxiwayParking index numbers.But as suggested above - you can work out most of this with a short period of experimentation.

Guest wji

FS FlightPlans (FSFP) have not changes since FS2002; these are interchangeable; this means I've been editing these things for some six-years; there's nothing to it, here's a sample:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/166373.jpgWhat the sim community really needs: is a Utility to convert FSX.PLN files to FS9.PLN; then, we can create FSFPs using the new features in FSX and then use the plans in the better simulator: FS9[/font size]

Guest jimcooper1

>>What the sim community really needs: is a Utility to>convert FSX.PLN files to FS9.PLN; then, we can create FSFPs>using the new features in FSX and then use the plans in the>better simulator: FS9[/font size]>I've got RouteEditor3 on the backburner...maybe I'll do this instead???

Note in FS2k2/9 there is a cfg entry DISPLAY_FRACTIONAL_MINUTES=1/0If set to 0 FS will display and store positions to .0001 arc seconds in .pln files. Not sure about FSX.scott s..