Sign in to follow this  
Guest krswen

OK, I give up ....

I just downloaded the Overland freeware MD-11 and installed it (I thought) with the .exe installer, which does not tell you where it is putting the files. My FS2004 is in the default location. I can't find the airplane to save my life!I sorted my Aircraft folder by date and it doesn't show up for today. Tried searching for Simmer, Overland, MD-11 ... no luck.What am I missing?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

mystery solved ... the installer created a new folder called Flight Simulator 2004 instead of using the Flight Simulator 9 default folder.

Take a tip from an old timer....:)When you install anything, If it allows you too, install it to a temp or new folder on the desktop. Then you can pick and choose what to install. All it takes is a bit of knowledge about what goes where. Its not difficult. I rarely install everything that comes in a package, and this way, nothing in my FS install goes in I dont want, or dont know about.Hornit

I agree whole-heartidly with you Hornit! But in this case, unlike most installers, there was no pop-up window telling what the install path was going to be and giving you the option to change it. The only option I had was to double click the executable and, zippity-doo-dah off it went (to the wrong place).krswen

There's not much that could be done if someone hard-codes a destination folder as you encountered but there's one additional layer of "protection" I use when necessary -- a dummy FS folder with the Registry entries that point to it TEMPORARILY. A utility that re-registers FS long enough to install an add-on in the dummy folders so you can look it over. I would typically copy the contents to the real folders and then "uninstall" the add-on from the dummy folders and re-register FS9 to the active/actual folder. This cannot be used when the installer needs to modify or disable scenery files but works fine for most AC add-ons.Loyd

"there was no pop-up window "If you had of selected a custom installation, it would have given you the option of choosing your directory. I surmise that you left the radio button on the Typical install setting. I install all of my FS on a D drive and had no issues selecting the pathway. And yes, they do have the wrong pathway as a default setting.