Sign in to follow this  
Virgin_A340

Always early!

Hi,I have noticed for a while now that on every flight I do I end up being early by around 30 minutes. I have not done a flight over 4 hours but I can imagine that I may be even more ahead of schedual on a long flight.I always check and run the real world prevailing winds with Active Sky 6 and use a cost index of either around 50. I always plan my route using route finder. Surely something is wrong here. I would expect to be early some of the time but not all of the time.Can anyone shed any light on this?CheersAndy S

Yes:Ground operations as well as probable airport area flight ops are built into the airline schedule block times. You probably are not stuck as number 15 for takeoff or not considering typical ATC/approach/tower airport ops into the equation.For instance. Lets say COA has a flight that takes 5:30 minutes from KEWR to KDEN at 8:30am. When that schedule was built it took into account:1 - Rush hour KEWR airport congestion2 - Typical spacing and airspeed restrictions into KDEN3 - looooong taxi times to the gateEver wonder how you can leave the gate 10 minutes late, be number 20 for takeoff but still arrive at the destination gate ontime? Its also important to build these times in so that accurate aircraft positioning is possible. Otherise just about every flight would be late.To get more accurate times in FS, use a Ultimate Traffic at 100% density which will give you the closest simulation of typical ground ops and eat up some time before you get to the runway. Also, you will get more arrival traffic sequencing at your destination. I am usually within + or - 5 minutes of the actual flight no matter if I fly intercontinetal or a 14 hour international flight. HTH.

Airline pilots fly to schedule not by speed.An airline aircraft arriving at the destination 30 minutes early can cause as many problems and distruption as being 30 minutes late.If they get through their takeoff line and get good winds, the aircraft will slow down so the arrival is very near scheduled time.

One thing I found out is that FS time is slower then real time. I used to be alot faster as well. But now i have fs real time installed witch syncs the time with the system time. I am still usualy early but not by the big differences I used to have.Wouter

Hi Andy S,Looks like you need to start simulating some aircraft delays :-).1) When you turn on your computer, go and jog around the block (simulating late transport from the briefing area)2) When you select your aircraft in flight sim you have to leave the computer for 20 mins (simulating it being late in from the previous sector)3) Once you've set the aircraft up and you're all ready, you have to get your partner to take your joystick/yoke away for 15 minutes (simulating some passengers not turning up and they need to get their bags off)4) Once you've got your controls back you have to go and do the crossword (simulating no pushback crew).5) Talk to ATC, but you're not allowed to push until two AI aircraft park nearby (simulating ground movement restrictions).6) While you're waiting get your partner to take your mouse to the shops and back (simulating the cabin crew going out of hours and having to be replaced)7) Taxi out, half way to the runway get your partner to bring in a piece of paper demanding you go and make them a cup of tea (simulating a last minute slot delay)8) Queue up in an Ultimate Traffic (or other) induced 100% traffic queue. (simulating rather well the departure delays)9) On arrival to your destination you have to enter the published hold for 20 minutes (simulating a blocked runway). If you get low on fuel, divert, refuel and make the short flight to your destination (don't forget to hold for at least 10 mins - there's still a backlog from the closed runway).I haven't included any engineering delays, I couldn't think of an appropriate witticism.Now lets see you being 30 minutes early after that lot :-) Especially flying a shorthaul <2hr sector.Hope this lightened the topic somewhat,Ian (delayed again yesterday and today)

I work for a major airline at DFW. Airlines have exaggerated the flying times in an effort to be "on time". If a flight leaves the gate at schedule, and has a short taxi and little time in line for take-off, it's probably going to be between 20 to 30 minutes early. Does that create problems? Sometimes. It depends at what time of day they are arriving. If they're early they just have to wait for an available gate. I've never heard of a flight slowing down enroute so it doesn't have to wait on the ground.

NAX669.png