Sign in to follow this  
philbrown

AFCAD Gates

Can someone give me a quick rundown on the rules FS uses when assigning a gate to an aircraft. I've had enough of landing at large airports with loads of free spaces, only for the FS ATC menu to tell me there are no available gates. I would like to know what the relationship is between gate radius, aircraft radius and the gate size (ie small/medium/heavy).Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

"I would like to know what the relationship is between gate radius, aircraft radius and the gate size (ie small/medium/heavy)."I'll try to help.o Gate radius must be equal to or greater that aircraft radius to allow parking.o Gate size is arbitrary; you can define a 13m space as "Medium" and a 37m space as "Small" in the same ADCAD. It is up to the author.So gate radius and aircraft radius are what's important, gate sizes are simply a convenience feature.R-

Radius and parking are always in Meters, using Feet is a quick way to create rounding errors and problems.You have to have AFCAD to see how the airport is laid out and which parking spots are which size. AFCAD is in the Avsim Library.You may also want to check/ modify the aircraft model radius with use the AFCAD Aircraft Editor or Armando Di Francesco's Aircraft Parking Manager - http://afcad.projectai.com/documents/APCMV16.zipYou have to have the TrafficToolBox.dll Explorer to see how FS is assigning parking spots. - the SDK is available here - http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2...x_sdk_setup.exe - Right click and choose Save Target As - save to your hard drive then run the .EXE to install the SDK. You will need to copy the TrafficToolBox.dll from the SDK folder and place it in your FS Modules folder.(FSX does NOT work exactly this way - one of many AI and ATC changes in FSX)User Aircraft:Open/ unassigned parking spot large enough for the model radius of the user aircraft - Offered Parking options. No available spot - Offered only takeoff options.AI Aircraft:1. Aircraft Radius - if there are no parking spots large enough for the aircraft - it will be deleted when it enters the rollout phase on the runway - this is the only GO/NO GO in the parking assignment.2. atc_parking_codes= entry - Select all spots with matching code as the first code3. atc_parking_types= entry - Select all spots with matching code4. Parking Area - Select all spots with appropriate area designationsi.e. - parking codes GATE - the priorities are:GATE #GATE (Letter) #ParkingNote that GATE 2 will always be a priority over GATE A 2.5. Parking Radius - Select all spots with matching or closest radius value of the parking spot which is as large or larger than the model radius. i.e. 23M radius model - 23M spots selected first, then 24M spots, then 25M spots, etc.6. Parking List order - Rank all identical spots and assign the aircraft to the first open spot in the list of parking spots.Now there are some subtle variations in this because what occurs is each criteria assigns a numerical value to a spot. The AI aircraft is assigned to the spot with the highest value (assume highest, might be lowest). Some things like two spots far apart in the parking list order, and taxi distance have very small changes in the values and might make an assignment different.Also parking codes in the second, third and fourth position of a parking spot properties have a high value, but it decreases significantly with each position.After four parking codes, the parking code value does not appear high enough to overcome some of the other factors.In FS2004, none of these criteria other than the first radius check will cause an aircraft to be removed / disappear. It is possible, and frequent for AI aircraft at busy airports to have two or even more aircraft assigned to the same parking spot. This occurs when aircraft land on different runways but have not contacted the ground controller.The parking assignment appears to run again when the AI aircraft contacts the ground controller, because the spot will be changed if another aircraft has accepted the parking spot.That's a quick and dirty look. There are a lot of minor tweaks which can be done. www.projectai.com is the best place to learn/ understand parking.(In FSX it appears that very small radius aircraft will not be assigned to very large radius parking spots - but deleted/ disappear. There are also apparently some other qualifications concerning parking codes and parking types which will cause AI aircraft to disappear.Also FSX makes a BIG CHANGE in the aircraft radius. It is no longer the model radius - but the wing_span= value - which must be in feet - in the aircraft.cfg is divided in half, rounded up to the next whole meter.)

Wow, what a reply. Reggie, you always post the best answers - many thanks! :-beerchug Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.800 FSB/2MB L22 GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 6.12's6x EATM AA/16x HQ A/FDiamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530'sDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals