Sign in to follow this  
Virgin_A340

First ILS/DME approach question

I am going to try my first ILS/DME approach in the PMDG 737 into Pisa,(because I'm flying there on Saturday for a holiday :-hah).The chart I am using is this one (second one down): http://www.vatita.net/download/planning/files/LIRP_ils.pdfThis is how I think it goes. After the PIS VOR I fly a heading of 238 degrees until 12 DME from PIS all the time descending from 5000ft to 2100. Then turn to course 038 to intercept the ILS. The thing is how do you know how fast to turn at the 12 DME point? When you get there do you just set the heading to 038 and let the autopilot gide you?Also what speeds would you use when? At the 12 DME point would you be at 220KTS or would it be slower? Would it be better to be at the flap 5 speed or something?Thanks for any help. :-wave Andy S

Hi Andy,I agree with your interpretation of the headings and altitudes to fly. Regarding speed I would fly the outbound section from the PIS VOR at 200kts slowing to 160kts by the time you start the 150 degree turn to intercept the ILS. At that speed you shouldn't overshoot. As you start the turn engage Localiser Hold and the a/p should control it okay.You should set flaps 10 by the time you're down to 160kts extending to 15 flaps with gear down at 10 miles out. Extend full flaps by the OM and slow to your approach speed of around 150kts.It may not be the view of a professional pilot but that's how I'd fly it.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Looking at that chart, if you were going to fly the full procedure you would go direct to PIS and then enter the hold for one circuit, exit on the 238 radial to 12 DME and then fly the DEM arc to intercept the ILS. I think the max speed in the hold would be about 220 for an airline - size AC. The procedure that is in FS9 and FSX GPS doesn't have the hold. I'm not sure, but that may be for the convenience of the AI. Other than that, though, you could couple the autopilot to the GPS for lateral guidance, and descend at pilot's discretion (unless cleared otherwise) to 2100 ft to intercept the GS. Here is some 727 gouge:Localizer InterceptIntercept headings less than 30