Sign in to follow this  
Guest CaptainCernick

Should I get this?

Guest CaptainCernick

Being a student, financial conservatism has become second nature.This also counts towards addon software for FS. That's why I always like to inform myself thoroughly before deciding to buy anything.Yesterday, this product caught my eye: http://secure.simmarket.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=1906 As you can see, its at quite an impressive discount and is delivered for free.I've been convincing myself that I really need a decent "modern" commercial airliner addon. I mainly fly GA/bush aircraft, but I do have some experience with these excellent freeware airliners: the Tinmouse 737, the Project Fokker F28 and David Maltby's BAC 1-11.The main thing that's holding me back is it's documentation. It would be the first time for me to work with an FMC. I know there is a tutorial included by Mike Ray, but is it sufficiently in-depth?Also, how does this product compare to, say PMDG's Boeing 737's? Are there perhaps other airliner addons in this price category that would fit my bill (not necessarily Boeing 737)?

I actually prefer this one over PMDG's 737. Probably because I'm a fan of those hybrid 'glass/steam' cockpits. I'm happy with it, and it nicely fills a void left since FS2002 and Dreamfleet's 734.The documentation is adaquate, but don't expect anything on the level of PMDG's 744 (Still the most complete operating manual that I've seen). For that price, I think that it would be worth getting. Just make sure to get the service packs from justflight's website after installing.

I have this bird and quite like it. It's not on a par with PMDG or LDS though. If you fly mainly in Europe getting SIDs and STARs into the FMC is a realy problem. In fact on the occasions I fly this bird I just go direct to the first fix as I have spent many hours trying to install the SID/STARs and given up. If they used a system for installing them into the nav database like PMDG/LDS do then this bird would be really sweet imo. I really got this plane to fill in some flights where I can't use the PMDG 737, like some KLM flights that use the none NG 737, as I like to always use the realy aircraft used on a particular route.My advise would be to get one of the PMDG or LDS birds if you can afford it. As you are new to FMCs the much better documentation and more complete systems will be better for you, if maybe a bit more to learn first off. Get which ever is best for the type of flying you do, shor or long haul.Hope this helps and happy flying with whichever plane you choose.Andy S

Guest CaptainCernick

Thanks for your replies!I think I'll follow Andy's advice and save up a bit for the PMDG. Even though I, just like J.C. said, like the look of that steam/glass hybrid cockpit better.On the other hand, that Flight1 Super 80 with integrated cockpit training seems rather nice as well... And n00b-friendly...Thanks again,Jef

I have the Super80 and it's a bargain! The virtual cockpit is awesome (in fact, the reason I got the Super80 instead of the Mad Dog is because of the virtual cockpit), and the manual is very good. Not to mention the interactive training while in the cockpit - it really helps you learn the systems quickly! This plane is great - I'm glad I bought it.