Sign in to follow this  
Guest murweb

Performance in FS9

Guest murweb

Hi guys,Since acquiring a massively faster PC I've run into a problem with FS9. I'm achieving in excess of 60 fps on unlimited setting but although the autogen scenery objects are showing crisp and clear, the underlying basic scenery, especially roads, appears out of focus even above 3000 ft - unlike what it was on my old system. The roads never come into clear focus, even using Photographic Scenery, and have jagged edges but, strangely, airport layouts are crisp and clear (autogen?). This occurs no matter what fps setting I use. A re-load, ditching all add-ons, has not helped. A screenshot taken near Manston airport in Photographic Scenery mode is attached.I've fiddled with the FS9 settings in every way I can think of and even within my NVidia Control panel, to no avail. System is Asus P5W DH De Luxe m'board, Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 processor, NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTO 512 mb, 2 gb fast RAM.Incidentally, FSX performs perfectly on the same system!Any suggestions?Cheers,Murray

I had exactly the same problem when I upgraded to my present system Murray.Turned out to be my anisotropic filtering setting on my Nvidia 8800 GTX.I set it to 16x and all the fuzzy ground textures now show up clearly.

John

One thing you might try is to lock your frame rate at 30 fps. You really can't see a difference between 60 fps and 30 fps but this will free up your computer's workload and allow FS9 to have more resources for texture loading. One note, if you are in Europe, set the rate to 25 fps for PAL based systems.One other mention, get a good defragmenter program that will allow you to put your Windows system and FS9 files on the outer tracks of your hard drive. This will vastly improve texture loading times and the blurries.Kim

Guest murweb

Hello John,And many thanks for your prompt reply. I have tried the setting you suggested and there is some improvement but not as much as I had hoped for. Maybe the answer is to buy Sapphire graphics card??? This NVidia caper is really very annoying, especially after paying so much money for it!However, in the meantime I shall fiddle away and follow the link that the other PC pilot directed me towards.Kind regards from Aberdeen, Scotland,Murray(e-mail address: murray.webster@talktalk.net)

Guest murweb

Hello Alex,Many thanks, I have downloaded the enhancer and will have a go. Sounds complicated for an old git like me, but I will try.Kind regards,,Murray

Guest murweb

Thanks Kim - I've already done that and it has no effect at all. See other posts - sounds like a complicated one involving settings. Maybe I should buy a Sapphire graphics card!!Kind regards,Murray

I too recently upgraded to a Vista maching- Quad Core Duo, 3 gigs RAM and SATA2 drives, running on my old nVidia 7900GS (waiting to upgrade the video card until DX10 if fully standard). The only processes shut down were AVG and Defender. Despite it being completly non-usual I left everything else alone- no FSAutoStart shutdowns. Frame Rates were locked at 25 initially (should this be moved up to 30)?I read somewhere that all of Koorby's .cfg tweaks, coupled with Unlimited frame rates works in Vista (perhaps due to the way it manages memory and resources differently, and perhaps due to a better prefetch)? I tried it and it definitely seemed way, way smoother not that there were pauses at 25, just that it seemed FLUID. It was a feeling of cutting loose a leash and floating- quite wonderful- no tearing, no sudden stops or other resource management issues....is this ok or will continuing to use this then cause different problems later? Took some lovely screenies of G-CIVA- my fav transport a/c and the one I fly on most of my BA route schedules,except when flying my other transport favorite- Rick Piper's freeware HS 748 Budgie on domestic routes. The 3D modeling using the nTune fix is truly something to behold. It made a HUGE difference. As far as performance and your systems, do you use texture blending, extended terrain, sun glare and lens flare? I have everything except sun glare unchecked. ATC, dynamic scenery and AI are all off as I do almost 100% of my flying online- but WideFS and FSUIPC and SquakBox are on. I do run SquakBox and ServInfo as well as the BAV ACARS on a networked laptop. Also, no autogen (and renamed the folder to .BAK). Sight distance is 30, clouds at 40 and detailed clouds at 50%. I am using the Cielosim Flight Environment textures for clouds, sky sets, lighting and reflections- lovely! I bounce around mostly in the 30s and 40s with the lowest figure I have seen being 21 only for a second or so. I have seen a FEW 50s and 60s- keep in mind I use 100% detail and massive textures as well as running a 22" LCD at 1600x 1050 32bit color and fly mostly EGLL, EGLC, EGCC, EGBB, KATL, KORD, KJFK, VAHH, VAHX and LOWI. I do have a freeware update for EGLC and Holgers LOWI. The other defaults are pretty detailed- so that's not too bad IMHO. Will using scenery addons (if I research who does a good job with frame rates, and leaving all the dynamic scenery off work ok- do you have any specific recommendations to use with PMDG's 747 and eventually the 747X?I am using Ultimate Defrag with FS9 on performance (outer edge) on one drive and everything else on the other.I guess I thought that the Quad Core would result in everything clipping along, and while there is improvement I'm not sure I'm getting everything out of the machine. Perhaps the FSX patch enabling multi-core support is the ticket- but until my birds (PMDG, Dreamfleet B58, Rick Piper's Budgie HS748) work in FSX I won't swap.Thanks in advance...Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper