Sign in to follow this  
AWACS

Files slow to extract

Hi, I wasn't sure where this thread should go because I'm not really sure if it's a hardware issue, I really think this is a software problem. I didn't seem to have this problem before. So anyway, my problem is that if a download a scenery for example when I extract it to my FS directory it is really slow, doesn't matter how big each file is it is really really slow anyone else have this problem before? I can install my megascenery or any other program from CD/DVD to HD and it's normal, but extracting from HD to HD is incredibly slow, took me almost 40 minutes to extract a 40mb scenery to my FS directory. I've used "smartclose" and shut everything down, but it still moves slow. Here is what I have, I've got a C2Duo E6600, 3 gigs of RAM and a 7600GT vid card. FS9 runs great, so there is no slowdown anywhere else on the computer. Now I have my 250 GIG HD broken up into three partitions, C, D, and E. FS is on E:, and Windows is on C: D: is where I download to, I've always used this setup and have never had any issues, also, even if I download directly to E: where my FS is, it will still extract slowly, so it's not a problem of extracting from one partition to the next. I have no idea wat could cause this. Please help. Thanks.Jeff

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Sounds like something amiss with either your pagefile or the drive where your pagefile is located. If you have a program like PerfectDisk you could try an offline defrag of the pagefile. And make sure you're not running out of space on the drive where the pagefile is located.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Hi Jeff,Also, it might be worth running CHKDSK ( Drive: ) /F /R from the Command Prompt on each of your partitions to root out any errors. The C: (primary/active) partition will almost certainly require a reboot to complete.Edit: I am assuming you are still on XP. Not sure whether this still works under VISTA.Mike