Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scott Miller

CoPilot Pro Problem

After downloading and installing the CoPilot Pro upgrade and trying to run it, CoPilot Pro crashed while trying to build a scenery database for FS2004. When I try to run CoPilot Pro from a fresh system startup it tries to load my system files for several minutes (but I'm not sure its reading all of them) then tries to build the database. At this point it is immediately interrupted and I get the Microsoft error message "CoPilot Pro encountered a problem and had to terminate...." message. If I try to run CoPilot Pro again without restarting my system it crashes almost immediately after beginning to create a database for FS2004. It will try again to load my FS2004 scenery files but only gets through a few before attempting to build the database at which point it crashes immediately (again)!Also, when I load an aircraft in FS2004, EZ-GPS v4 starts up in demo mode with a message that it will expire on Nov 19. I did NOT select demo when I first attempted to install CoPilot Pro so why is it doing this?I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling CoPilot Pro (several times), re-downloading it, and installing the CoPilot Pro updated files Abacus emailed me. Nothing worked. CoPilot Pro simply won't install properly (actually, this isn't exactly true. If I de-select the FS2004 file directories, de-select the "build FS2004 database" box, and click on the "build button" CoPilot Pro will load, only it doesn't have any scenery files to work with)!Is there a limit to how many scenery files CoPilot can handle? I've got all the Megascenery and Megacity titles as well as FS Global 2005 installed. Could it be that this is all too much for CoPilot Pro?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have the same problem. It starts the database and then you get the send dont send error. I have tryed to get support from them since wensday night and no responces from support or customer service. I really getting frustraded about this. They dont even answer the phone. I understand thurs. was thanksgiving but they should have support set up.Bill

Should someone ever have this error again, here is my solution.You have to make sure your AddOn folder is empty ... My Co pilot crashed always when he tried to load a add on bgl file from a scenery. When i emptied the addOn folder the database got build normal ...

VISTA and Win 7 security could be blocking the applications access to scenery.cfg and any scenery installed under FS if FS is under a typical installation placing it under Program Files anywhere. Try setting its properties by starting it with a shortcut setting it to run as admin. In Win 7 turning off UAC does not turn off all access limitations.If it runs part way and then crashes make sure your security applications have it listed as a trusted application.

I had the same issue with Co-Pilot Pro. Co-Pilot Pro apparently has the ability to add to the existing FS9 airport and navaid base by searching through the scenery that you've installed. The catch is that all of the scenery that you want Co-Pilot Pro to know about has to be in the "Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery" folder. It doesn't find new scenery via the scenery.cfg file, it simply recurses through all the folders underneath the "Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery" folder.So I think that Kelben is correct, in order for Co-Pilot Pro to build it's initial database successfully you might not want to have anything in you're "Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery" folder that you're not 100% sure of it's compatibility. That being said and for all I know, the scenery could be fine and the Co-Pilot Pro app is misreading what it sees. It could also be that the .BGLs are compiled with some incorrect headers. I know that sometimes the latter happens because other apps see .BGLs which aren't airport files as if they are.Mark

From a technical aspect I'd have to say that the way you state Co-Pilot Pro searches for scenery is flawed. I never put airport add-ons under the default add-on scenery folder as it is too difficult to keep organized. For installations that I can control I have a folder called Common Add-On Scenery right at the top of my FS drive hierarchy H:\Common Addon Scenery. Each add-on then has its own folder under that and for me makes easy browsing to place it in the scenery library.As far as searching for scenery characteristics a good example is a free application from FSUIPC developer Pete Dowson. It does not require FSUIPC to run. It correctly prioritizes deletions and additions in the scenery by double recursion using the scenery.cfg as its search source.If interested just to see how it works download it from the FS9 (it runs in FSX too.) section at:http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html, place it in your FS9 folder, and then run it. Overwrite it with the latest version from:http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/Then go into your FS folder and execute the file after waiting for it to finish (you'll need to OK a dialog a few times) and then look at the runways.txt file to see how it searched through ALL of your scenery. There are several files now placed in your FS folder. There is a makerwys readmefile in there that explains the files and their data structure.Maybe you can point the developer of Co-Pilot Pro to this for ideas. Look at the recursion. Runways.txt is a huge file.Yes, this utility is used by RC to get the airport afd properties of runways, taxiways, taxi nodes, gates, comm frequencies, etc.What needs to be ignored is ignored.

Hey Ron, I think I got that straight out of the help file. I too have my scenery in a folder outside of the Flight Simulator 9 folder and my copy of Co-Pilot Pro never finds it. So by "flawed" I'm guessing that the developer or Co-Pilot Pro might have a flawed approach to adding airports and navaids to his app.By the way, I really like Co-Pilot Pro a lot. It's interesting, I don't really use it for flight planning in the traditional sense. I use it to find out info and where in the world an airport is. It's like a really fast ICAO look up for me with nav information there if I need it.Mark

Agreed that it is important for airport nav data to be pulled out of scenery as that is what the aircraft nav systems must tune to for radio navigation and you need that to tune your radios.Therein lies a conflict where aircraft navigation equipment uses nav radio data (and some airport properties) furnished with current AIRAC terminal proceure data FMS) where auto-tune NAVS (by the FMS) do not match the navaid data in the installed FS world.Here's an interesting way to use AFCAD to find an ICAO in your FSWorld that uses your scenery.cfg file to extract an airport database:Install (just for reading, don't modify) AFCAD221. Run the Open Airport under File and let it build its tree. Click the country, district (State), maybe City. Here's a listing for USA, New York, New York City, attached in the accompanying screenie. Click the highest number layer for the ICAO you want and it will open that airport. Then you from its menu bar get navaid lists, runway lists (length), and by clicking a runway you get properties for elevation I believe.Your files need not be in any add-on scenery folder.