Sign in to follow this  
mozart

ATC can't handle flightplans close to North Pole

Interesting discovery: I planned a route from Toronto to Singapore. I used FSBuild, exported the plan into FSNav, made some corrections (SID, STAR) and then exported the plan to FS9.When I wanted to load the plan as an IFR plan, I could select it - but it didn't load. I first thought that there was a format error, then maybe a waypoint that confuses FS9, until I had the hunch that it might be the fact of flying close to the North Pole which might case the problem. And indeed: I cut the route in two, one part ending at an airport on my route in Northern Canada, the other part starting on my route in Nothern Russia. FS9 has no problem loading these flight plans.It's a bit awkward of course as the clearance I was getting from Toronto was one to that small airport in Canada rather than to Singapore. And I'll also have to load a second IFR plan when I'm over Russia. And I won't have any ATC following me between the two airports. But it's a workaround.Having said that, my PSS 777-200LR didn't have a problem with that route.I guess the reason is that at some point along the route the magnetic headings "inverse" or at least get mixed up. The 777's FMC will work off the GPS and simply fly to a point rather than follow a heading. (Badly expressed that last point but I think you understand what I want to say).Any similar experiences on your flights around the Pole(s)?

The 'world' in FS9 isn't a globe - it's a cylinder, so there are no poles as such, and the sim flight planner gets confused if you try to set up a course too close to the north or south poles. One of FS9's 'features'...Like your 38th symphony, by the way.;)

>The 'world' in FS9 isn't a globe - it's a cylinder, so there>are no poles as such, and the sim flight planner gets confused>if you try to set up a course too close to the north or south>poles. One of FS9's 'features'...>>Like your 38th symphony, by the way.>>;)I prefer his 40th....:-lol

>The 'world' in FS9 isn't a globe - it's a cylinder, so there>are no poles as such, and the sim flight planner gets confused>if you try to set up a course too close to the north or south>poles. One of FS9's 'features'...>>Like your 38th symphony, by the way.>>;)I'm new here...registered today :).The world in FS9 is flat; I once took an airplane off the edge of the world, which could explain why the flight planner gets confused.

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Guest Eek

>I'm new here...registered today :).>>The world in FS9 is flat; I once took an airplane off the edge>of the world, which could explain why the flight planner gets>confused.Hey, pass that over. I want a hit. :-scatter EwingKATLAlcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.MSI K8N Neo2 PlatinumAMD Opteron 185 2.6 Ghz Dual Core2GB Kingston HyperX (2X1GB) Dual Channel DDR 2-3-2-6 @ 1TXFX nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS 256MB DDR3 AGPSound Blaster Audigy LSSilverStone Decathlon 750W +12v@60A +5v@30AFS9 on WinXPPro (SP1)

Excuse me? :D lol

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

>The 'world' in FS9 isn't a globe - it's a cylinderAre you sure? The MS FS2004 Creating Terrain SDK says:"One of the most powerful features of BGL is that everything is based on a world coordinate system that is spherical and very much like latitude/longitude. In Flight Simulator, the earth is defined as an

Guest Eek

>Excuse me? :D lolYou're mistaken, or high. :-lol Just picking on you, BoeingGuy. There are no "edges" in FS9. EwingKATLAlcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.MSI K8N Neo2 PlatinumAMD Opteron 185 2.6 Ghz Dual Core2GB Kingston HyperX (2X1GB) Dual Channel DDR 2-3-2-6 @ 1TXFX nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS 256MB DDR3 AGPSound Blaster Audigy LSSilverStone Decathlon 750W +12v@60A +5v@30AFS9 on WinXPPro (SP1)