Sign in to follow this  
JonBuck

Instant Scenery problem. I don't understand how to....

I'm a newbie learning how to work with scenery in FS2004. Am used to adding and deleting scenery objects in MS Train Sim, but the Flight Sim is quite different. I'm trying to add something to my home base airport as it came with the basic MSFS using the Instant Scenery addon program. But,I must be doing something wrong, or have missed a step or just don't understand how to work wth IS. Here's where I get stuck in the process of adding an object:I can pick out an object that I want to add to an airport,(tree or bldg from the RWY 12 collection of objects downlowded and installed succesfully a couple of days ago) and move it to where I want it to be. Then I click on "Add Object" and it asks me if I want to add this object to such and such a scenery library. Here's where I run into a wall. I thought it would ask me if I would like to add the object to the airport I'm working on. Nope! So I turn back to the IS tutorial which says since I'm adding for the first time I have to enter the name of a scenery file I want to add the object to. I have no idea what that should be. Guess I don't understand the concept of scenery libraries and active files for a start. If I go ahead and click 'yes' anyway on the scenery library name that shows up in the window, I end up with a 'no can do' message and something else about IS can only add or delete objects from sceneries which have been created by IS. Well, Now I'm really confused. What does that mean? I'm definately missing something in this process! I've now got a tree just sitting there blinking at me and no clue of where to turn! I can't even get rid of the tree!! Frustration is running rampant about now!Can anyone shed some light on this mess and perhaps guide me through the proper steps from the "click on Add Object button"? I could definately use one of those "EASY" buttons from Staples right now!JonB :-hmmm

I have used IS succesfully for many months now - trust me, once you get the hang of it, you will find it very easy to use.After you have placed the object where you want it and hit the Add Object button, answer NO to the file name it first offers. Then type in a new name of your choosing such as KSEA_Trees or KSEA_Buildings etc.I prefer to use the ICAO code as part of the name and break up what I add by general object types - makes it easier to find them for later adjustment of needed.When you add more objects, IS will offer the name of the last bgl you added as the file to add to - accept it if that is correct.The new bgl's you create this way are normally placed in your addon scenery / scenery subfolder but you can move them later on into any active scenery subfolder.To finalize the process you will need to exit FS2004 when you are done adding objects and restart it so the new bgls you created will get indexed.Hope this helps get you atarted.

Thanks for the response David, I appreciate the advice. Cleared up the confusion at this end a bit. I managed to get past the roadblock to add and then delete a few objects. But I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along, as there are lots of little things that tutorials and instructions don't mention. And that's where I stumble!! Thanks again!Jon

Happy to have helped - feel free to e-mail me if you have further questions.

Like JonB, I have had similiar problems. After figuring out how to add scenery using distinct files, I now have problems deleting selected objects. At the Flight1 site, one posting describes how you must insure you are editing the correct file, but I don't how to do that? It goes on to describe by pushing 'Ctrl' buttons simultaneously, editable object will begin to blink, at which time they could be deleted or moved. Of course, this is also described in the manual. In short, I'm not able to do that, and any changes means simply starting over. Thanks for any help. Les Parson

The best thing to do is create scenery folders for all the airports you create. For example, say I want to create Buffalo (KBUF). Under Addon Scenery, I create a folder called KBUF, then under that folder, another called scenery. Now, go into FS and create a new BGL file in that scenery folder you just made. However, you need to remember to add this folder (addon scenerykbuf) to your scenery library before you exit flightsim, then your objects will show up. You don't have to do this, but it helps keep everything organized when you go back to edit them later on. Keep all your sceneries in different folders to keep them separate. To delete existing objects, you have to select the tab (I think it is called move/delete). Then slew your plane to near where the object is and it should be highlighted in red. Then just hit delete.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Hi LesThe critical point is to have your scenery under control from the beginning. As earlier postings have indicated you want to have a structure in your addon scenery where you can readily file and then access your creations.Lets say that you have your IS files being created in file "Addon SceneryMyCountry Airportsscenery" If you have saved your file there, then when you come to amend the file you will see the IS tab "Open Scenery" which is the key to your access for amending your creation. From that point on use the "move/delete" tab on IS once you have captured the correct object.Hope that helps.CheersMike

Here's another tip you may find useful -- (this also works with the EZ program)After placing an object and saving it, close IS - close only IS not FS2004.This will allow you to slew around your new object to check it out.If you wish to move it or even delete it, open IS again. It will load almost immediately as it has never been taken out of memory. Then just click the Move button and the object will be highlighted for movement (or deletion) and you can easily adjust it's position and resave it.If you have exited FS2004, and restarted it, you will have to open the proper bgl you saved and select whatever object you want to move or delete.It is just a lot simpler to try to get it right while IS is still in memory the first time.Hope that is fairly clear.