Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Installation of Landclass files

Does anyone know definitively whether the 'golden rule' of never having a texture folder associated with scenery folders containing landclass bgl files refers only to an empty texture folder (as I have seen reported), or to any texture folder, which normally will have FS scenery bitmaps in it?If the latter (and I can't personally see what difference it would make - if FS doesn't find bitmaps in the texture folder it will go elsewhere in any case, no matter whether the folder is empty or has only bitmaps irrelevant to the landclass files), then a large number of sceneries I have installed from AVSIM and elsewhere (a few payware sceneries too) may have problems (I'm trying to minimise sporadic OoM erros), as they clearly contain landclass bgls in with scenery files and, of course, are mostly associated with a texture folder too.Martin

Guest wji

I can't say I really understand your question.I do know any .BGL file in the FS9/Path will be loaded when the sim starts.I simply follow the Readme.txt included with the Terrain (mesh), Landclass or Scenery being installed; usually, the hierarchy is as listed above:1st) Terrain2nd) Landclass3rd) SceneryThis means the Scenery folder is (usually) atop the others in the FS9 Scenery hierarchy listings.As noted, I did not understand the question.

Hi Holger, No I didn't see it - for some reason the topic reply notification doesn't work for the Aerosoft site: I've got the right e-mail address, and I don't filter things to junk mail folders.. No matter, I'll read what you wrote now. Thanks.

My understanding has always been:If a paired-texture folder exists for a bgl file which assigns landclass, then all textures called by that landclass (taking into account the regions, seasons, and slope gradient) must be in that paired-texture folder. I have never seen autogen annotation files referenced in relation to this, bu assume they may be affected as well.scott s..

That makes sense to me Scott, but what I have read on many an occasion is that no texture folder at all should be associated with a scenery folder containing landclass files. But if the necessary bitmaps are in that associated texture folder, then why this 'rule'?M.

Because in 99.99% of the cases, when the landclass bgl is there, no landclass textures are provided (assumption is the default ones are used). Then the rule works. Check out Greater Toronto Scenery by Flight Ontario for one that "breaks the rule". If you just follow the rule, you lose the custom textures.It's like the "rule" to "never have more than one AFCAD file". That also is true 99.99% of the time, but there are times when you must have multiple files (that appear to be AFCAD files). Just follow the instructions carefully with these "rule-breaking" sceneries.scott s..