Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Going crazy! Why am I not landing on the runway?!

My ILS landings all go perfectly, give or take the add disaster for whatever reason - apart from the fact that at SO many airports my a/c touches down off the runway - sometimes just on the shoulder, often closer to the taxiway!The problem is not with the a/c itself - it happens whatever plane I choose. If I follow the localizer in slew mode, making sure that the CDI needle is always perfectly aligned, sure enough, a "dead centre" landing as far as the instruments are concerned brings me down way off left or right of the runway.It seemed to me when it first happened that I had a faulty AFCAD, even though the green arrows looked aligned when I looked at the file in AFCAD2. But this happening over and over again. I can't believe that all these AFACDs (which never used to do this on my old FS PC) are at fault. I can realign the runway navaids in AFCAD2, and this does obviously move my touchdown point. But I don't see that I can do this over and over again for all these AFCAD files: it surely shouldn't be necessary - can anyone say where a global problem might lie?Many thanks!Martin

Er, you are disconnecting the AP at the Decision Height and then "hand flying" the a/c to the runway, right?No? Then you are going to continue to have problems... :)Unless you're flying a CATIII approach, you can't "autoland" any aircraft.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

... "magvar BGL replacement file" A what??? :-)Not sure what you mean about not being able to autoland any aircraft Bill. Most of my payware a/c autoland fine, with flare. Am I missing the point?M.

It may be that I am just unlucky in finding so many AFCADs with the navaids in the wrong place: I just shifted those for rwy 2/20 at NZCH (my most recent encounter with ILS touchdown on the taxiway) and now all my a/c hit just the right spot. But why so many 'faulty' AFCAD files???M.