Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

richardlepage

Simwings Heathrow 2008

Hi Can anyone tell me what the framerates are like with the simwings Heathrow 2008 please.I have just installed AES and would like to use it for Heathrow and it is compatible with the simwings version.My system:Geeforce 6200SE with turbocacheAMD Athlon 64 3700+ processor2 GB RAMWill it run ok with these specs on FS9?Many thanksRegardsRichard

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Heavy but lighter than UK2000. The X version is better.

I get good FPS will the scenery but I tend to load alot of AI traffic so this combined with the scenery does have a big impact. Sometimes at the moment I am around 20-15 and sometimes down to 10 FPS. I have quite a newish PC but cant really say with your hardware as not really gen'd up on AMD's.

It's surprisingly good on frames I think. I used to be a 100% or nothing AI person, but now I leave AI around 50 to 60 and the results are better. It also eliminates the Heathrow queues that are so common.

Thanks for the advice.Ive purchased anyway and FPS seem reasonable with AI traffic settings low.previously had UK2000 pro and the frame rates were awful [down to 4 or 5 at times.]also installed AES for the airport and it doesn't have any impact on the framerates.AES is an absolute wonderful program it really adds to the realism although it gets a bit expensive as you have to buy credits to activate the airports and it is mostly only compatible with payware scenery.RegardsRichard

Richard:I'm very interested in this scenery. Can you post your system specs and the kind of frame rates you're getting?

>Richard:>>I'm very interested in this scenery. Can you post your system>specs and the kind of frame rates you're getting?HiHere are my system specs:Nividia Geeforce 6200SE with turbocacheAMD Athlon 3700+ Processor2GB RAMRealtek AC97 Sound300GB 7200RPM Hard DriveFramerates are around 15FPS with AI traffic levels set low with Ultimate Traffic. UT generates a huge amount of traffic at heathrow that really affects the frame retes at high settings.Previously had UK2000 Pro and the framerates were very poor.5 or 6 at times so I would definately go for the simwings version.Framerates for me drop when taking off from the 09 end but are better from the 27 end.Hope this helpsRegardsRichard

Thanks, Richard. That's just about what I would get with their other sceneries if I ran AI at 10% or 20%. But I never run AI lower than 40% so I go down to about 12-13 FPS.Always nice to get a benchmark from someone else just so I know my expectations of my rig aren't unrealistic. Sometimes I feel like I've wasted all my money because I'm not always pulling 50 or 60 FPS with payware A/C and custom sceneries! :)

If you have any money left, you should get an E8400 or something. ;-)

Thanks, Mike! Are you serious? What would an E8400 give me, in your opionion -- 3 or 4 FPS, or more than that, do you think? I am getting a heck of a tax refund this year.

Well, I got a new computer recently. The first new one had an E6750. The processor was fine, but I had various other issues, so it went back. Then I went back to Dell for a 530s (the first new one was not a Dell, my old computer was and it served me well), took everything out of it except for the power supply and bought me a new case with a more powerful power supply (450W instead of only 250W). The 530s is fine, but it's slim and small and I had several components that I wanted to re-use, hence the different case.Anyhoo, the Dell came with an E8400 and man, what a difference with the E6750 already, so you can imagine what it's going to be going from the E6420 to at least a 3Ghz Core2 Duo for example (if the motherboard/system allows it of course). FS needs processor power, in your case, your processor is the obvious bottleneck.Apart from the E8400, I also have 2GB of 800Mhz memory and only a Sapphire X1600 Pro... (One monitor, 19" flat panel, 1152*864.) I was looking for a 1950 series card, but not that actively anymore, because I don't really have any performance issues. I don't like to think in framerates, but I have mine locked at 20 and they hardly if ever come down. Perhaps only when I'm flying through layers of clouds, that appears to be an issue for most users, I blame ActiveSky. ;-) And maybe they come down a little when approaching airports such as heathrow (16, 15 maybe), but it always stays smooth.As for settings, everything to the right, scenery, auto-gen, 3D clouds, etc... (AA and AF as well, 7.10 Omega Drivers by the way) I use Ultimate Traffic with virtually everything assigned a texture, I have all Military AI Works packages installed as well as all the Ultimate GA ones. I fly with 100% AI.No problems at Aerosoft's Heathrow, no problems at FSDreamTeam's KORD, no problems in the New York area with ImagineSim's KLGA and even KEWR (I'm finally able to enjoy that scenery).As I mentioned, the only thing that seems to affect performance are the clouds (at least with overcast and layers of them) and more so when you're flying through them.Suffice it to say, I'm happy. And it's unbelievable for a four or what a five year old application, but FS9 wouldn't complain with more. And then to think that some people switched over to FSX... :D

Thanks, Mike. I've been searching the web for an e8400 and most everyone is sold out for now, but I'll continue looking. Thanks for the tip!And thank GOD for FSX! That's the one my step sons bought me for Christmas 2006, that first got me into this hobby. I look at it this way: if it weren't for FSX, I'd never have found the best hobby I've ever had, and, what's more, I'd never known to dump it and buy FS2004! :-lol (Don't you hate it that hardware discussions are subjugated to their own obscure, little forum now?)