Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

AN24!!! At last!!!

Guy'sSamdim's long awaited AN-24 has been released. And it's a big one.As I have to rely on the horrendously slow download speeds offered by the evil, monopolistic Telekomunikacje Polska, I'd be greatful if any of you with 21st Century internet technology who have downloaded and installed this aircraft, could tell me if everything's ok with it.Don't want to pay for 2-3 hours of downloading only to have to re-do it all with V1.1Though if it's up to the Russians' normal standard, I'm sure it'll be perfect......as usual.Thanks in advance!Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

I downloaded it, went to unzip but I got a "bad CRC" error. Downloaded the file again, same problem.I can't find the file in the library here now, so I suppose it's been removed because the zip file was corrupted.

Yes, it must have been removed- the d/l link on the Avsim front page is referring to a file that doesn't exist.Any mirrors? The RFG AN-24RV from FS2000 days remains one of my all-time fave sim aircraft. ChasW

Guest Dominik Mann

I, too, got the CRC error messages when I unzipped the plane onto my disk, so I tend to agree that it was just removed temporarily in order to fix this problem. In fact, FS would load up correctly even with the faulty An-24, and although I have not actually tried flying her yet, the aircraft preview window would display her correctly, with the exception of certain texture files on two of the provided versions.I hope this won't be a major problem to fix, because I'm really curious why people seem to be raving so much about that FS2K An-24, to which I understand Dimitri's new version is supposed to be the successor. :D

Guest danowat

Hi All,The files that are corrupt are as follows,! F:antonov_an-24b.zip: CRC failed in Antonov An-24Btexture.b70an24dvigatel.bmp. The file is corruptThis file seems to be a engine nacelle, so all I did was copy one from the other texture.! F:antonov_an-24b.zip: CRC failed in Antonov An-24Btexture.b80kryshkiShassi.bmp. The file is corruptThis file seems to also be from the nacelle area, and I just copied the same file from another texture.! F:antonov_an-24b.zip: CRC failed in GAUGESMAH.AN24.IND_1_0001.GAU. The file is corruptThis gauge file is the same as MAH.AN24.IND_1_0002.GAU, so I just copied 0002 and renamed it 0001.All in all with this done it seems to work fine, so I you don't want to wait for it to be reuploaded, then try this, if not don't :)Dan.

GuysThanks for your help.I'll wait until, hopefully, a new version is uploaded.Thanks again.Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest Rob

Yes .. the file has been removed due to the corrupt files contained within. I have emailed the author requesting he reupload the file.

Well, it's back in the library - but still corrupted.ChasW

I wouldn't bother. Emperors new clothes.Same old FS98 panel (it was rubbish then, and it's rubbish now), no throttle panel, no 2d panel views, no 3d cockpit), same old non-FS2002 specific sound files (no startups). Exterior sounds are so quiet you'd think it was a modern turboprop not one of the noisiest commercial aircraft ever made. The flight model is all over the shop (I could make a list, but you get the picture). The corrupt files are the least of the worries. Oh, and where's the smoke effects? Haven't they ever seen one of these babies taking off?Now, you might think thats a bit petty, given that its freeware and all, but the documents tell you this is a freeware `preview` of a payware release due in April 2003.Well I'll wait for the payware release, which had better be substantially better than this offering to perusade me to part with cash so soon before FS2004 is released. Especially as far superior products will be on hand from DreamFleet, FSD International and the like by then.And the installation had better be right for that, or else I can't see it selling. At all.Still looking for a good AN24...ChasW

Guest Rob

*sigh* .. same seven corrupt files. I'll remove it tomorrow. I'm off to bed.

Yes, I wouldn't worry about it Rob. No-one who HAS downloaded it will be keeping it long. The AI version serves a purpose, but as a shop window to encourage purchasers for the payware release I would say this freeware is somewhere bordering disaster and catastrophe.ChasW