Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hans_Petter

Where is that CFG?

I just moved my FS installations to a new computer. I say "moved" rather than "reinstalled" since I reinstalled basic versions of FS9 and FSGW3 to get the registry part right and copied over my old installations. This works fine in most respects. Some payware addons will need to be reinstalled (or deleted) but 99% of everything is fine since the paths within the root folder are intact. My FS9 with all the tweaks and addons weighs in at around 70 GB. If anyone wonders why I don't just reinstall and do it all over you now know why. There's one problem though -- my previous flight or any other saved flight defaults to a Cessna at SeaTac. The reason is that the path to flights has been altered. It used to be "Application Data" but is now "AppData" and "My Documents" has turned into "Documents" as I switched to Vista. Needless to say, I've put the flights in the folder that FS created as I installed it under Vista. I can create a flight anywhere using any aircraft but after I exit the flight and launch "previous flight" it's always a Cessna at SeaTac. This indicates that flights aren't saved / found where the sim is configured to look for them. I've clicked FLT files directly (in folder view) and then the sim launches with the correct aircraft and the right location. This should be a simple case of editing a CFG. Which CFG tells FS9 where to store flights / where the stored flights are located?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,For your default flight .. you can maybe edit the line SITUATION in the FS9.CFG for put your new "exotic" path :)It's no other indications of path for flight storage in FS9.cfg.Cheers.

OK, but since FS9 creates different user folder paths depending on the OS it's installed under (Win98/ME, Win2000/XP and Vista) there must be some config lines somewhere telling the sim where to find the fs9.cfg and the stored flights.

>OK, but since FS9 creates different user folder paths>depending on the OS it's installed under (Win98/ME, Win2000/XP>and Vista) there must be some config lines somewhere telling>the sim where to find the fs9.cfg and the stored flights.You may have answered your own question.Although I could not find anything in a quick look, I would suspect the installation procedure writes that data somewhere deep in the bowels of the Registry.If so, and you are now using Vista, there are no instructions in the Registry telling a "copied over" install of FS2004 where to place specific files and it is reverting to a default.All that is only speculation, but since there is nothing in any of the cfg files which specifies such locations, it would seem to a reasonable guess.I still use XP by the way.EDIT ADDED:I just looked inside the language.dll file and there I see references to the "Flight Simulator Files", "FLIGHTSMYFLTS", "FLIGHTSOTHER".I have no idea if editing these entries would make any difference or not as I see no complete path reference. I am just reporting what I found - using a program called Resource Hacker (bad name but a useful program).

I would try launching the sim, save a flight with a distinct name, say "test flight", shut down the sim and search for "test flight.flt" and see where the sim wants those flights to go, then move your saved flights there.Or simply recreate the old path by creating those folders and move your saved flights there.Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions :-)The good news is that it seems to have fixed itself. Maybe a few relaunches of the application made it get its act together. BTW, I set the compatibility setting as outlined above except that I chose Win 2000 which was my previous OS. That might have done it. I'll uncheck the compatibility and see if it makes a difference.I've got a few payware reinstalls to finish before it's back the way it was. With keys, passwords and setups stored it's no big deal. Anything that is referenced within the root folder is intact as long as it doesn't depend on third party reg entries and/or anti-piracy keys outside the sim. I saved a lot of work by not having to add and sort scenery addons all over.In any event, FS9 is finally looking good and performing well since I now have the hardware to run it properly. No more buying state-of-the-art hardware and bug it down with the very latest sim and endure mediocre performance again.