Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest The Captain

World of AI packages & making airports work question.

Brand new at this = I've installed a lot of WoAI airlines & can someone tell me what new airport files I need for it to work? I've been told I need new afcads (airport files?) & from here but what exactly do I get? Also, 2) do I replace all airport files? I was hoping to replace just the airports I fly to!! I've already renamed the default traffic.bgl & some new airlines are showing up.Sorry 2 more things 3) where do I put the new files, 4) do they over-ride the default files?Thanks for any help,Terry.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

There is no need to be overly concerned about adding (replacing) Afcads when you start using WOAI traffic packages.Most of the larger default airport afcads will have adequate parking space available. Almost all airport enhancements which you might download and install will include an afcad which will likely add even more parking spaces.Having enough parking is critical of course if you have a lot of traffic active.I would recommend watching at various airports for awhile and only get concerned if you see AI aircraft dissapearing shortly after they land - a sure sign of inadequate parking spaces.Hope this helps.

Thanks David. I've been doing this for a week now in my laptop (A Dell 17" XPS M1710, 2 Intel core CPU T7400, 2.16GHz, 2GB Ram, Gforce 7900 GTX.) & have noticed that even with the same amount of traffic installed as in my desktop (Dell Dimension 9150, P4 3.4GHz, 2GB Ram, Gforce 7900 GS. 20" Dell widescreen) there's only a third of the airlines showing up compared to the 9150's traffic. I've not installed any airport scenery by the way, just afcads last night I got from Avsim for Heathrow & Gatwick but nothing's changed. I'm just wondering how to improve things in the laptop.

Terry,Do you have Traffic Tools installed?It is a "must have" along with AFCAD.After installing a WOAI packags using their installer, the next step is to use Traffic Tools to "decompile", then "compile" the airline you just installed. This will first create three files: Airports, Aircraft and FlightPlans, from there you will create a traffic file.Hope this answers you question.Don

I think you may be confusing the original poster.Unless you have specifically asked the installer to install to a temporary folder so you can do a manual addition, the installer places the traffic file for that airline correctly and nothing else has to be done by the user.I would agree that Traffic Tools is a "must have" utility but it is not needed for a normal WOAI installation.If the user "wants" to decompile the traffic file to check locations etc. then of course that can be done, but it is not a required "next step".Hope that clarifies things a bit.

TerryIf FS9 is having problems finding enough parking for your AI traffic, your performance will suffer. Therefore it is a good idea to add additional parking by installing add-on AFCad's for the busiest airports you use AND which are nearby in the areas you fly in. There is no need to do the whole world but you should try to do all the mega-large airports within say 50 miles of your preferred flight area. This should help to give you smooth performance.You need to download an an AfCad .BGL file for each airport. These contain AF2 somewhere in the file name. I install mine in the Flight Simulator 9/Addon Scenery/Scenery folder.AFcad files for major world airports can be obtained as packages from Project AI as another poster has mentioned.Alternatively, individual AfCads can be downloaded from the Avsim library. There is a special section for AfCad files - search for the airport name or ICAO/IATA code.Downloaded AfCads DO over-ride the default airports but they DO NOT over-write them, so you can always go back to the default position.Having one add-on AfCad file for each airport in addition to the default FS9 airport is OK but you must NOT have duplicate add-on AfCads.There is a program called ScanAFD available from the Avsim library (search for scanafd.zip) which will check for duplicates.You can also get the AfCad program itself - search for afcad221.zip. This displays AfCad airports as a diagram or airport plan. You can modify the airport if you wish.One of the more useful items is a Fault Finder which you can use to check that the AfCad files you have installed work properly. It is worth checking because in my experience not all downloaded files are free of errors.Hope that helps