Sign in to follow this  
Guest bradley27

Getting the most with a high end GFX card and 3GB RAM

Guest bradley27

Okay heres another question...I haveNvidia GTX 98003GB RAMAMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4800+I am soon going to upgrade my processor too so that i have a super PC.For now tho...I am noticing alot of the time i am seeing textures blurred especially at heights at 30,000ft up, now they do eventually clear and appear as they are meant to but it does take a good 15seconds or so for them to kick in, what can i do to improve this? all settings are at maximum,

I have the same processor, but I overclocked it to 2.67Ghz. With my 4GB RAM and 8800GT 512MB card, I locked my FPS to 32 in FS9 with ALL options cranked to the maximum and get very good results. The only time that I get bad blurries is when the hard drive is loading graphics while flying. That sometimes causes stutters in FS9 and the blurries to appear until the 8800GT catches up. This mostly happens when flying over airports and cities that require a large number of graphic files to be loaded and then processed. But I also experience the situation that you explained, it just takes time for the computer to display all of the graphics.Just for interest's sake, here is my fs9.config:[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT.0]Mode=1280x1024x32TableFog=1TextureAGP=0Panelastexture=0TriLinear=1MipBias=5[DISPLAY]UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=32TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=800TextureMaxLoad=10RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.0RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.0RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.0 RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.0[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=20TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.900000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.900000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=232

Guest bradley27

I have heard alot of people use the term overclock, now what is this, is it safe, is it complicated?!?!I mean in the real run i wanna change over to FSX which i also have as well as FS2004 but frames are god awful but the water and land textures are to die for!!!! especially this new VFR London X!!!!!!

I have the same processor, but I overclocked it to 2.67Ghz. With my 4GB RAM and 8800GT 512MB card, I locked my FPS to 32 in FS9 with ALL options cranked to the maximum and get very good results. The only time that I get bad blurries is when the hard drive is loading graphics while flying. That sometimes causes stutters in FS9 and the blurries to appear until the 8800GT catches up. This mostly happens when flying over airports and cities that require a large number of graphic files to be loaded and then processed. But I also experience the situation that you explained, it just takes time for the computer to display all of the graphics.Just for interest's sake, here is my fs9.config:[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT.0]Mode=1280x1024x32TableFog=1TextureAGP=0Panelastexture=0TriLinear=1MipBias=5
Sorry for bringing on an old topic. With PanelAsTexture=0 do you keep your 32 FPS? My FS behaved as being locked at 15 FPS, but I had it locked at 30 (however I didn't use TextureAGP=0). Removed that line and FS kept my 30 FPS with no problem. And what do you mean with TableFog=1 and MipBias=5?Best regards from Colombia,Luis Miguel

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

With the setup you have I would raise your resolution up to 2048x1532x32 depending on your monitor. The menus will be small but the resolution within FS9 is stellar. Many don't realize with these new computers and video cards they don't have to stay at the lower resolutions anymore...Another thing is set settings like filtering in the video card menu. If you have high anti-aliasing turned high in your video card menu you don't need to turn it on in FS9 as it can bring down performance a bit. It's like your doubling up the settings. Bilinearing in many cases is better than Trilinear filtering depending on your video card in FS9.These simple things might help you with your problem and if nothing more give you that much more smoothness...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I am interested in in trying to adjust my settings but I don't know how to get to my fs9.cfg! Where is it located because I don't see it in the FS9 main folder?Don

Regarding overclocking...It is pretty simple when learned, but please DO NOT try to do it until you read up about it. It can and will fry your computer if done incorrectly. Having said that, google it as there are many site and forums dedicated to it. I overclocked my e8500 from 3.16 to 3.7Ghz with stock heatsink and fan with only a slight voltage increase and my temps are still in the low 50s. A lot more potential are in our cpu then we think!

Sorry for bringing on an old topic. With PanelAsTexture=0 do you keep your 32 FPS? My FS behaved as being locked at 15 FPS, but I had it locked at 30. Removed that line and FS kept my 30 FPS with no problem. Best regards from Colombia,Luis Miguel
I'm qouting the following from another thread on this forum:"PanelAsTexture=0 <--------------------- Add this lineBy adding the PanelAsTexture line, your performance will even increase specialy with 2d panel 3rd party aircraft, it may cause 2-d panels to blank out if you've enabled AA inside FS2004, uncheck AA in fs2004, and enabling AA from your prefered tweaker or your driver display setting.""TextureAGP=0 should be added to your fs9.cfg because: "By disabled the AGP Texture Acceleration, your performance will increase specialy with 2d panel and others area."

I'm qouting the following from another thread on this forum:"PanelAsTexture=0 <--------------------- Add this lineBy adding the PanelAsTexture line, your performance will even increase specialy with 2d panel 3rd party aircraft, it may cause 2-d panels to blank out if you've enabled AA inside FS2004, uncheck AA in fs2004, and enabling AA from your prefered tweaker or your driver display setting.""TextureAGP=0 should be added to your fs9.cfg because: "By disabled the AGP Texture Acceleration, your performance will increase specialy with 2d panel and others area."
Well, in my case using both tweaks did nothing good for me. Using PSS 757 (2d only), I have FPS locked at 30, the counter is 2 seconds at 29.9 and then 2 sec at 27.6 (give or take) without the tweak, no matter if it's in KSEA, KJFK, VHHX or the middle of nowhere. With the tweak, FPS went sometimes down to 18 during that cycle. Sound does have no effect on this (verified disabling sound using the "Q" key and then reenabling it again).Still, what do you mean with TableFog=1 and MipBias=5?Best regards from Colombia,Luis Miguel

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.