Sign in to follow this  
january

To Olderndirt-

Olderndirt- tried to reply to your latest post but all I get is my prior post- everything else seems to have disappeared. All I recall is you were going to look for a used P4. Don't rule out an AMD Athlon.---------------------Looks like this will be my last post- I'm totally confused by these new forums! Cheers. ...---...Alex Reid

AlexJust like my FAA years - as soon as you have it figured out, they change the book. Still looking for the SWAP forum and the box check for email notification of new messages but, what the heck, all I'm using up is retirement. Thanks for the reminder about AMD. There's a ton of cheap P4's out there so probably AMD's too.

Sorry for jumping in again, Olderndirt, but from your posts I didn't understand have you actually installed FS9 and give it a try? Because the beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so see if you are maybe satisfied before going shopping for hardware. I know many people with monster machines who do nothing but lament about visuals, stutters, bluries etc. And there are those like me who are almost ashamed to post our specifications in the signature, but are still quite happy flyers. I have and AMD Athlon64 and - like January - I can recommend it, though it is so outdated, but if a core2duo is out of your budget, you don't have many choices.Also in your first post you were asking what is the general concensus about controllers. Almost any joystick will do, but go for some mid-range (Saitek, Logitech) i.e. don't buy the cheapest. Among yokes, most popular are CH Products followed by Saitek Pro. All others are far beyond the budget - mine at least.Good luck and happy flying...Elprim

ElprimAll 'jumpers-in' are more than welcome. With Xmas only 24 days away, I'm getting the ducks lined up for my Santa requests. Ebay has provided an older P4 3.0 with 1G RAM. Whether or not I'll need more (RAM), remains to be seen. We have a 19 inch monitor so, if Santa comes through (FS2004, video card and Saitek controller), should be good to go solo. Heels on the floor and smoothly with the throttle :)