Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Earl_Buice

System Trade Off's? Help!

Hi guys,I have been flight simming since the beginnings of FS2000. I have a 800MHz P3 w/ 512 SDRAM. Yes, I know. I couldn't do better until now.Anyway, I have been trying to narrow down what to buy. It seems I can get a pretty good I7 940 w/ GTX260 and 3G RAM for around 1800.00. The best I could do with a QX9650 system was around 1600 and Q6600 for around 13-1500.I'm trying to get a system which will last through FS11 while running FSX/FS9 well. So, I'm also assuming I need to stay with the quad cores and at least 3GHz from what I've read here in the forums.$1800.00 I7 specs:CS_FAN: Extra Case Cooling Fan [+3] (3 x Fans [+6]) CPU: Intel

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi guys,I have been flight simming since the beginnings of FS2000. I have a 800MHz P3 w/ 512 SDRAM. Yes, I know. I couldn't do better until now.Anyway, I have been trying to narrow down what to buy. It seems I can get a pretty good I7 940 w/ GTX260 and 3G RAM for around 1800.00. The best I could do with a QX9650 system was around 1600 and Q6600 for around 13-1500.
Sounds about right, and congrats on the upgrade! You definitely need it :(
I'm trying to get a system which will last through FS11 while running FSX/FS9 well. So, I'm also assuming I need to stay with the quad cores and at least 3GHz from what I've read here in the forums.
Do not buy a system with the intention of using it for the next version of MSFS as you will only disappoint yourself. Other than point releases (i.e. FS 5->5.1), no one has ever done this and likely never will. In fact, there's not a stock system in existence that can yet run FSX with all detail settings maxed out, let alone with add-ons and maxed image quality enhancements (AA, AF).
$1800.00 I7 specs:CS_FAN: Extra Case Cooling Fan [+3] (3 x Fans [+6]) CPU: Intel