Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cmpbellsjc

Question For Nickn Or Oc'ing Experts - Finishing An Oc

Hi Nick. You had help me out in a few threads a while back regarding an OC that I was doing. I appreciate all the help. I have a stable 3.6 OC, but now I feel that the only thing holding be back from its true potential is the RAM settings. This is my first OC. I have been reading, researching, but when it comes to RAM setting concerning latency and speed, there are so many opinions. I read a post of your here: http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...223693603/15#15 , however I am not sure how I should apply this information to my system. Below is what I have;E8400 at 3.60 9 X 400Asus Maximus Formula2 GB Corasir TWIN2X2048-8500C5D 5-5-5-15 http://www.corsair.com/products/dominator/default.aspxEVGA 8800 GTS 512My mobo setting are below:Extreme Tweaker Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual CPU Ratio Control : 9 FSB Frequency : 400 FSB Strap to North Bridge : 400 PCI-E Frequency: 100 DRAM Frequency: DDR2- 1066 DRAM Command Rate : 2T DRAM Timing Control: Manual CAS# Latency : 5 RAS# to CAS# Delay : 5 RAS# Precharge : 5 RAS# ActivateTime : 15 RAS# to RAS# Delay : Auto Row Refresh Cycle Time : Auto Write Recovery Time : Auto Read to Precharge Time : Auto Read to Write Delay (S/D) : Auto Write to Read Delay (S) : Auto Write to Read Delay (D) : Auto Read to Read Delay (S) : Auto Read to Read Delay (D) : Auto Write to Write Delay (S) : Auto Write to Write Delay (D) : Auto DRAM Static Read Control: Auto Ai Clock Twister : Auto Transaction Booster : Auto CPU Voltage : 1.32 CPU PLL Voltage : AutoNorth Bridge Voltage : 1.49 DRAM Voltage : 2.1 FSB Termination Voltage : Auto South Bridge Voltage : Auto Loadline Calibration : Enabled CPU GTL Reference : Auto North Bridge GTL Reference : Auto DDR2 Channel A REF Voltage : Auto DDR2 Channel B REF Voltage : Auto DDR2 Controller REF Voltage : Auto SB 1.5V Voltage : Auto NB LED Selection : NB Volt SB LED Selection : SB Volt CPU LED Selection : CPU VOlt Voltiminder LED : Auto CPU Spread Spectrum : DisabledPCIE Spread Spectrum : DisabledMemset settings: th_65276_memset_settings1_122_707lo.JPGI have read so many posts about using the 333 and 400 strap, etc, but I would like to see what you would recommend with the equipment that I have. My in game FSX FPS are fine, but the RAM seems to be holding me back a little bit with texture loading. Some say the faster the better, while others say that tighter timings with less speed are the way to go. Assuming this were your system how would you proceed from here with the RAM. I would be happy to post any screen shots with CPU-Z settings or any other screens of that nature if you need more info.I understand that you are probably pretty busy with GEX Euro, but I would greatly appreciate any help you could offer. I am very eager to get this thing finished off, so that I can go back to enjoying FSX and quit fiddling with this OC.Thanks in advance,Sean

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Try manually setting your tRFC (Refresh Cycle Time) to 48 or higher. I run my 4GB G.Skill DDR2 kit @ 1GHz with 5/5/5/15 timings and tRFC @ 52, all else set to auto.

Try manually setting your tRFC (Refresh Cycle Time) to 48 or higher. I run my 4GB G.Skill DDR2 kit @ 1GHz with 5/5/5/15 timings and tRFC @ 52, all else set to auto.
My mobo only gives settings for tRFC of 20, 25, 30, 35, or 42. Did you set yours in the bios screen or using memset?

My mobo only gives settings for tRFC of 20, 25, 30, 35, or 42. Did you set yours in the bios screen or using memset?
I installed Memset and see that mine is already set at 52.

I installed Memset and see that mine is already set at 52.
Good. Likely not your memory holding you back then. Edit: I misunderstood the problem. Texture loading in FSX is a function of the CPU, not one's RAM speed. You either need to adjust your texture settings downward, or get a quad-core processor. I suspect you'll want to try the former first ;)

Hi Sean,I'm pretty sure Nick would recommend the 333 strap. Your texture loading issues could be related to your FS9.cfg and/or GPU settings too. Tighter timings won't necessarily help load times per se. They will result in sharper textures though.My settings look like this. My BIOS is set up like this:Extreme Tweaker Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual CPU Ratio Control : 8.5FSB Frequency : 450FSB Strap to North Bridge : 333 PCI-E Frequency: 100 DRAM Frequency: DDR2- 1081DRAM Command Rate : 2T DRAM Timing Control: Manual CAS# Latency : 5 RAS# to CAS# Delay : 5 RAS# Precharge : 3RAS# ActivateTime : 13 RAS# to RAS# Delay : 1 Row Refresh Cycle Time : Auto Write Recovery Time : 3Read to Precharge Time : 3 Read to Write Delay (S/D) : Auto Write to Read Delay (S) : Auto Write to Read Delay (D) : Auto Read to Read Delay (S) : Auto Read to Read Delay (D) : Auto Write to Write Delay (S) : Auto Write to Write Delay (D) : Auto DRAM Static Read Control: Enabled Ai Clock Twister : StrongTransaction Booster : Disabled Relax Level: 0 CPU Voltage : 1.40 CPU PLL Voltage : AutoNorth Bridge Voltage : 1.55 DRAM Voltage : 2.12 FSB Termination Voltage : Auto South Bridge Voltage : Auto Loadline Calibration : Enabled CPU GTL Reference : Auto North Bridge GTL Reference : Auto DDR2 Channel A REF Voltage : Auto DDR2 Channel B REF Voltage : Auto DDR2 Controller REF Voltage : Auto SB 1.5V Voltage : Auto NB LED Selection : NB Volt SB LED Selection : SB Volt CPU LED Selection : CPU VOlt Voltiminder LED : Auto CPU Spread Spectrum : DisabledPCIE Spread Spectrum : DisabledThis gets me to 3.825 GHz. These are the settings I've been using for the last couple of months now, 24/7. They've been rock solid for me. My temps are great too. Best Regards,Jeff

Hey Jeff, good to hear from you. It's been a while since you helped me out, Oct I think. Yeah you were right, I am happy with the clock speed on the CPU, but now it seems like a get blurrier texture loading than I did before the OC. When I was running stock, I had pretty clear textures, but now not as much. I noticed that you had a 8.5 multiplyer x 450. One time I tried a 8 multiplier X 450 for 3.6 and the machine wouldn't boot :( , so I went back to the 9 X 400. If I go back to the 333 strap at 9 X 400 I only get 801, 961, and 1280 for the RAM speeds. I guess I could try your settings and see how they work, worst case it wont work and I could just start over. Those voltages for your CPU 1.40 and NB 1.55 seem so high that it kinda scares me, but I guess if temps are ok it's not a problem. What is the highest voltage that CPU can take? Thanks for the help, again. I will try your settings and see how it goes. Talk to you later,Sean

Hey Jeff, good to hear from you. It's been a while since you helped me out, Oct I think. Yeah you were right, I am happy with the clock speed on the CPU, but now it seems like a get blurrier texture loading than I did before the OC. When I was running stock, I had pretty clear textures, but now not as much. I noticed that you had a 8.5 multiplyer x 450. One time I tried a 8 multiplier X 450 for 3.6 and the machine wouldn't boot :( , so I went back to the 9 X 400. If I go back to the 333 strap at 9 X 400 I only get 801, 961, and 1280 for the RAM speeds. I guess I could try your settings and see how they work, worst case it wont work and I could just start over. Those voltages for your CPU 1.40 and NB 1.55 seem so high that it kinda scares me, but I guess if temps are ok it's not a problem. What is the highest voltage that CPU can take? Thanks for the help, again. I will try your settings and see how it goes. Talk to you later,Sean
Remember that the 333 strap has a bigger impact the closer you are to a FSB of 450MHz. 333 is also where you will get to a 5:6 ratio, and where the 1081 DRAM Freq will be available to you.The max on the cpu is 1.45. When you set it in the BIOS you'll see that it shows up in green. At that setting, when you factor in the droop, you'll see 1.38v in everest or PcProbe. The Nb at 1.55 is just a tad higher than the "green range" in the BIOS. I would never get that above 1.7v. The highest I've operated at is 1.61v. This is what it looks like from Everest with my current configuration. You can see my temps are all just fine. I do have a number of fans running too so, that is part of the reason. The NB temp hits the low 60's on a warm day when using FS. I would make sure to keep that under 70c. Set the NB protection on the MB for 80c. IIRC, the thermal limit for the NB is 90c. If these numbers work out for you and you are still having texture issues, I could take a look at your FS9.cfg file to see if maybe something there is askew. Like I said earlier, it could also be the settings on your GPU. Refresh my memory as to the GPU you're using, I forgot.Let me know how it goes, ok.Jeff

Well I tried your settings, all of them. Seems like a pretty good improvement in the texture loading. Temps also looked good. CPU never got above 47 degrees and NB at 54 degrees. I have 4 fans and the CPU cooler, plus its a little on the cool side here. Not as cool as where you are but cool none the less.I have about the same system as you. E8400, Asus Maximus Formula, same RAM, but I have am EVGA 8800 GTS 512. Also my case, sound card, and HD's are different. I am also just running FSX. After I got FSX I couldn't stand the look of FS9 anymore, even as good as it ran. For me the textures and overall look of FSX was enough to make me delete FS9. Since we have the same set up basically, if you ever decide to get FSX I think you will love it. The only thing I miss about FS9 was one plane, and a few sceneries that haven't been redone for FSX yet. I know I made my post sound like FSX was a terrible blurry mess. It wasn't, and it is running really well, but I knew that I could get a little more out of it by getting the RAM set up better. I will run some prime95 tests and stuff to make sure its stable, but so far it looks good. Thanks for the help. I will report back in a few days and let you know how its going. BTW, glad to see that the Broncos are winning their division, wish I could say the same about my Cowboys :( Talk to you later,Sean

Well I tried your settings, all of them. Seems like a pretty good improvement in the texture loading. Temps also looked good. CPU never got above 47 degrees and NB at 54 degrees. I have 4 fans and the CPU cooler, plus its a little on the cool side here. Not as cool as where you are but cool none the less.I have about the same system as you. E8400, Asus Maximus Formula, same RAM, but I have am EVGA 8800 GTS 512. Also my case, sound card, and HD's are different. I am also just running FSX. After I got FSX I couldn't stand the look of FS9 anymore, even as good as it ran. For me the textures and overall look of FSX was enough to make me delete FS9. Since we have the same set up basically, if you ever decide to get FSX I think you will love it. The only thing I miss about FS9 was one plane, and a few sceneries that haven't been redone for FSX yet. I know I made my post sound like FSX was a terrible blurry mess. It wasn't, and it is running really well, but I knew that I could get a little more out of it by getting the RAM set up better. I will run some prime95 tests and stuff to make sure its stable, but so far it looks good. Thanks for the help. I will report back in a few days and let you know how its going. BTW, glad to see that the Broncos are winning their division, wish I could say the same about my Cowboys :( Talk to you later,Sean
Great!! Glad to hear it worked out. So, we have the same graphics card too. All those 8 series cards were made in the same factory, re-seller notwithstanding. If you're not using it, you should take a look at nHancer for getting the most out of it. RIva Tuner too, for controlling the GPU fan and oc'ing the card.I'll check back to see how you're getting along. Too bad about dem Cowboys! :( Talk to ya later,Jeff

Hi Nick. You had help me out in a few threads a while back regarding an OC that I was doing. I appreciate all the help. I have a stable 3.6 OC, but now I feel that the only thing holding be back from its true potential is the RAM settings. This is my first OC. I have been reading, researching, but when it comes to RAM setting concerning latency and speed, there are so many opinions. I read a post of your here: http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...223693603/15#15 , however I am not sure how I should apply this information to my system. Below is what I have;E8400 at 3.60 9 X 400Asus Maximus Formula2 GB Corasir TWIN2X2048-8500C5D 5-5-5-15 http://www.corsair.com/products/dominator/default.aspxEVGA 8800 GTS 512My mobo setting are below:Extreme Tweaker Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual CPU Ratio Control : 9 FSB Frequency : 400 FSB Strap to North Bridge : 400 PCI-E Frequency: 100 DRAM Frequency: DDR2- 1066 DRAM Command Rate : 2T DRAM Timing Control: Manual CAS# Latency : 5 RAS# to CAS# Delay : 5 RAS# Precharge : 5 RAS# ActivateTime : 15 RAS# to RAS# Delay : Auto Row Refresh Cycle Time : Auto Write Recovery Time : Auto Read to Precharge Time : Auto Read to Write Delay (S/D) : Auto Write to Read Delay (S) : Auto Write to Read Delay (D) : Auto Read to Read Delay (S) : Auto Read to Read Delay (D) : Auto Write to Write Delay (S) : Auto Write to Write Delay (D) : Auto DRAM Static Read Control: Auto Ai Clock Twister : Auto Transaction Booster : Auto CPU Voltage : 1.32 CPU PLL Voltage : AutoNorth Bridge Voltage : 1.49 DRAM Voltage : 2.1 FSB Termination Voltage : Auto South Bridge Voltage : Auto Loadline Calibration : Enabled CPU GTL Reference : Auto North Bridge GTL Reference : Auto DDR2 Channel A REF Voltage : Auto DDR2 Channel B REF Voltage : Auto DDR2 Controller REF Voltage : Auto SB 1.5V Voltage : Auto NB LED Selection : NB Volt SB LED Selection : SB Volt CPU LED Selection : CPU VOlt Voltiminder LED : Auto CPU Spread Spectrum : DisabledPCIE Spread Spectrum : DisabledMemset settings: th_65276_memset_settings1_122_707lo.JPGI have read so many posts about using the 333 and 400 strap, etc, but I would like to see what you would recommend with the equipment that I have. My in game FSX FPS are fine, but the RAM seems to be holding me back a little bit with texture loading. Some say the faster the better, while others say that tighter timings with less speed are the way to go. Assuming this were your system how would you proceed from here with the RAM. I would be happy to post any screen shots with CPU-Z settings or any other screens of that nature if you need more info.I understand that you are probably pretty busy with GEX Euro, but I would greatly appreciate any help you could offer. I am very eager to get this thing finished off, so that I can go back to enjoying FSX and quit fiddling with this OC.Thanks in advance,Sean
SeanThe Corsiar DDR2 memory and maintaining the max 2.1v is going to be limited to about 1095 5-5-5 no matter what you do and it will not run 1T or lower tRD than 7The only option you have is to increase CPU speed and step up to 450MHzSTRAP is based on the CPU in use and the available memory speeds.. it will either be 333 or 400 one of the two and in your case probably 333If the CPU will not run its locked multipler by 450 then you are stuckThis is the limit of DDR2 and why I tell people once you get to a certain point, thats all you are gettingIf your proc will run 450 then that is what you should strive for. But you are not going to get 1T or PL6You may need to trim vcore and a few other things that will be as far as you can go thoughEDIT: I see you made it... nice jobIt does make a difference, doesnt it?DDR3 on a quad improves what you see by a very decent margin and i7 properly clocked on tri-channel 1600 low latency improves it much further.Try increasing your texture_Bandwidth_Multipier in the FSX.cfg file to 70 or 80 (80 max which is what I use but I also have more VC memory and faster memory buss speed cards)

Well guys. Good news and bad news.1st the good news is that even with my better performance I am now getting it wasn't until tonight that I figured out what my problem was with the textures loading. Apparently it had to do with the performance hit I was experiencing after updating UTX from 1.2 to 1.3. In version 1.3 the road traffic does something different than it does in 1.2 and thus was causing my performance hit. I disabled traffic in the UTX setup tool and now I am getting 25-45 FPS and perfectly clear textures flying into KMIA with 80% AI in my LDS767 VC. Prior to turing off traffic in the UTX setup tool I was getting only 15-20 FPS with a little blurriness. I posted over at their forum to see how I can get my v1.2 road traffic back.Now for the bad news. Even though FSX is running great I ran a prime95 blend test to get a little of everything, but the test failed after only 2 minutes. It said: FATAL ERROR: rounding was .05, expected less than 0.4. Do you guys have any idea what this means and how I should proceed? I wonder if this has anything to do with the funny sound popping and crackling that I sometimes get from the default Asus sound card?Jeff I set everything exactly like you did, except for the AI clock twister. Mine is still set to Auto per what Nick said in that other post a while back. I even set my memset settings to the same thing you had. I will wait and see what you guys say before I proceed.Thanks guys,Sean

Well guys. Good news and bad news.1st the good news is that even with my better performance I am now getting it wasn't until tonight that I figured out what my problem was with the textures loading. Apparently it had to do with the performance hit I was experiencing after updating UTX from 1.2 to 1.3. In version 1.3 the road traffic does something different than it does in 1.2 and thus was causing my performance hit. I disabled traffic in the UTX setup tool and now I am getting 25-45 FPS and perfectly clear textures flying into KMIA with 80% AI in my LDS767 VC. Prior to turing off traffic in the UTX setup tool I was getting only 15-20 FPS with a little blurriness. I posted over at their forum to see how I can get my v1.2 road traffic back.Now for the bad news. Even though FSX is running great I ran a prime95 blend test to get a little of everything, but the test failed after only 2 minutes. It said: FATAL ERROR: rounding was .05, expected less than 0.4. Do you guys have any idea what this means and how I should proceed? I wonder if this has anything to do with the funny sound popping and crackling that I sometimes get from the default Asus sound card?Jeff I set everything exactly like you did, except for the AI clock twister. Mine is still set to Auto per what Nick said in that other post a while back. I even set my memset settings to the same thing you had. I will wait and see what you guys say before I proceed.Thanks guys,Sean
Yes sir.. the UTX issue with their 1.3 patch is a bugger. I do not run any higher than 8% car traffic even on my systems after that patch. My systems can run the traffic that low but many will find they must disable the UTX Moving Traffic option in the UTX tool in order to gain back that CPU and memory resource especially flying heavy metal in larger hubsThey added traffic to side streets with that patchAs for your instability, as mentioned you will most likely need to trim some settings. AI Clock twister.. set it to LIGHTEST and see if that makes a difference first. Also, if the BIOS has the setting DRAM STATIC READ CONTROL set it to DISABLEDSee if those do not trim in stabilityNB @ 1.55 is probably good however there are some that may need to increase that to 1.6.. I would however be careful above 1.55 and check NB temp. If it remains below 60c under a full load its OK. CPU PLL and FSB Termination are usually ok on AUTO with dual core procs... same with GTL voltage trim.... typcially only quads need trim on those settings and I would leave them on Auto. Sometimes a touch of Vcore helps and when clocking Load Line Calibration in the BIOS should be ENABLED which dampens the effect Vdroop has and allows what is set in the BIOS for Vcore to remain a constant. That means you do NOT overshoot Vcore in the BIOS to obtain a lower value in Windows... ENABLE LLC will help stabilize a clock but you must also make sure your Vcore setting is not going to exceed the proc max. I would need to look up the values for the proc as I do not have any clocking notes on it here.

Your CPU voltage is almost certainly too low if set to 1.32V, especially once you take vdroop and normal board variations into account. Not many Wolfdale chips will hit such high clocks on such low volts, despite what some extreme overclockers may report on some forums (not speaking about this one). I run between 1.44-1.46V on my E8400 to achieve 4GHz. I do not recommend you run this voltage, as it will definitely shorten the lifespan of your CPU. Bump your voltage up a notch and test again. 1.35V is the highest you should go to stay within Intel recommendations, 1.45V is the maximum the manufacturing process used to produce your processor is designed to handle. Also, switch to OCCT for stress-testing. It will find errors much quicker than Prime95 (unless your o/c is horribly unstable, which it does not appear to be). As an added bonus, OCCT displays the CPU voltage in real-time so you can see what the voltage is actually reading, not just what it's set to in the BIOS. On my board I have vdroop of .2-.4V which is pretty bad, but pretty normal for P35 chipset boards I've seen without any LLC feature.

Stick with Nicks advice Sean. You're in the home stretch now. This is where the "no two systems are the same" comes into play. You're down to the little tweaks now. I'm looking forward to seeing where you end up with your oc. I'm going to follow along and maybe tweak a little more myself.All the best,Jeff

Your CPU voltage is almost certainly too low if set to 1.32V, especially once you take vdroop and normal board variations into account. Not many Wolfdale chips will hit such high clocks on such low volts, despite what some extreme overclockers may report on some forums (not speaking about this one). I run between 1.44-1.46V on my E8400 to achieve 4GHz. I do not recommend you run this voltage, as it will definitely shorten the lifespan of your CPU. Bump your voltage up a notch and test again. 1.35V is the highest you should go to stay within Intel recommendations, 1.45V is the maximum the manufacturing process used to produce your processor is designed to handle. Also, switch to OCCT for stress-testing. It will find errors much quicker than Prime95 (unless your o/c is horribly unstable, which it does not appear to be). As an added bonus, OCCT displays the CPU voltage in real-time so you can see what the voltage is actually reading, not just what it's set to in the BIOS. On my board I have vdroop of .2-.4V which is pretty bad, but pretty normal for P35 chipset boards I've seen without any LLC feature.
Yeah I was set at 1.4 CPU Volts when I couldn't pass the test, not 1.35. I was at 1.35 when I was at 3.6 ghz. I was set to Jeff's mobo setting when I couldn't pass prime. Being set at 1.4v with LLC enabled I was running at 1.38 volts. Thanks for the link for OCCT.

Yes sir.. the UTX issue with their 1.3 patch is a bugger. I do not run any higher than 8% car traffic even on my systems after that patch. My systems can run the traffic that low but many will find they must disable the UTX Moving Traffic option in the UTX tool in order to gain back that CPU and memory resource especially flying heavy metal in larger hubsThey added traffic to side streets with that patchAs for your instability, as mentioned you will most likely need to trim some settings. AI Clock twister.. set it to LIGHTEST and see if that makes a difference first. Also, if the BIOS has the setting DRAM STATIC READ CONTROL set it to DISABLEDSee if those do not trim in stabilityNB @ 1.55 is probably good however there are some that may need to increase that to 1.6.. I would however be careful above 1.55 and check NB temp. If it remains below 60c under a full load its OK. CPU PLL and FSB Termination are usually ok on AUTO with dual core procs... same with GTL voltage trim.... typcially only quads need trim on those settings and I would leave them on Auto. Sometimes a touch of Vcore helps and when clocking Load Line Calibration in the BIOS should be ENABLED which dampens the effect Vdroop has and allows what is set in the BIOS for Vcore to remain a constant. That means you do NOT overshoot Vcore in the BIOS to obtain a lower value in Windows... ENABLE LLC will help stabilize a clock but you must also make sure your Vcore setting is not going to exceed the proc max. I would need to look up the values for the proc as I do not have any clocking notes on it here.
Last night after I posted this and before I got your reply I reset the RAM back to the stock 5-5-5-15 and went from 8.5 X 450 back to 8 X 450 for 3.6 ghz with the RAM still set to 1081. Maybe I should stick with 3.6 ghz and not try bothering with 3.85 ghz. There probably isn't much difference between 3.6 ghz and 3.85 ghz is there? Maybe 1 FPS increase? If I stay at 3.6 with the RAM at the 1081mhz and the 333 strap with 450 FSB do you think or have any recommendations of tightening the RAM settings? I will leave it alone for now until I hear back from you. Oh, one other question before I forget. If I set the RAM timings in bios do I need to fiddle with memset? I noticed that if I make a change to the settings in memset they dont seem to show up in bios.

Yeah I was set at 1.4 CPU Volts when I couldn't pass the test, not 1.35. I was at 1.35 when I was at 3.6 ghz. I was set to Jeff's mobo setting when I couldn't pass prime. Being set at 1.4v with LLC enabled I was running at 1.38 volts. Thanks for the link for OCCT.
Can you turn your GTL voltage down a notch and test again? Some 45nm chips seem to like lower than reference GTL voltage.
Last night after I posted this and before I got your reply I reset the RAM back to the stock 5-5-5-15 and went from 8.5 X 450 back to 8 X 450 for 3.6 ghz with the RAM still set to 1081. Maybe I should stick with 3.6 ghz and not try bothering with 3.85 ghz. There probably isn't much difference between 3.6 ghz and 3.85 ghz is there? Maybe 1 FPS increase? If I stay at 3.6 with the RAM at the 1081mhz and the 333 strap with 450 FSB do you think or have any recommendations of tightening the RAM settings? I will leave it alone for now until I hear back from you.
The best advice you're going to get for adjusting your RAM timings is at XtremeSystems, in this thread particularly as it deals with your RAM specifically.
Oh, one other question before I forget. If I set the RAM timings in bios do I need to fiddle with memset? I noticed that if I make a change to the settings in memset they dont seem to show up in bios.
This is by design. Memset does not adjust BIOS values because if you set something improperly and your system hangs (and restarts) it will just keep hanging at boot.edit: typo

Last night after I posted this and before I got your reply I reset the RAM back to the stock 5-5-5-15 and went from 8.5 X 450 back to 8 X 450 for 3.6 ghz with the RAM still set to 1081. Maybe I should stick with 3.6 ghz and not try bothering with 3.85 ghz. There probably isn't much difference between 3.6 ghz and 3.85 ghz is there? Maybe 1 FPS increase? If I stay at 3.6 with the RAM at the 1081mhz and the 333 strap with 450 FSB do you think or have any recommendations of tightening the RAM settings? I will leave it alone for now until I hear back from you. Oh, one other question before I forget. If I set the RAM timings in bios do I need to fiddle with memset? I noticed that if I make a change to the settings in memset they dont seem to show up in bios.
The memory you are running is pretty much locked at stock timing and probably will not go over 1093 @ 2.1v which is why I posted what I did about the corsair sticks. 1081 @ 5-5-5 is pretty much their hard limit. You wont get any more out of those.If you are stable at 3.6 call that your base for 450MHz. In order to go higher I would say it will require more vcore over any other setting but do check the 2 I posted and set them as such. The E84000 is known for hitting 4GHz and I have even seen reports of 4.2-4.4 so the process0r will do 3.8 if it is a E0 slugThe difference between 3.6 and 3.8 is what I would call a nice little bump and if its possible stable and safe I would try for it. Its not going to equate to frames and this 'more frames is better' thing everyone talks about is not what its about... its about improving the visuals and how smooth the flight flows. In that you can be at 24-27 frames and never need one frame more. I have seen 45 frames look terrible with jitters and 28 smooth as glass. FS9 was much more sensitive to higher frame rate need than FSXSo yes 200Mhz would be nice to get if its possible but it will not provide what 4-4.5 doesThere are 2 steppings in that processor... C0 and E0E0 is the high clocker/low voltage... Some C0 chips wont reach the high clocks, some will but require 1.4v+ to do 4GHz so if CPUz shows stepping as C0 that icould be why you may be limited.If this is a E0 chip it should not have any problem with 3.8GHz @ somewhere between 1.34-1.40v and do be aware I consider the hard limit on a 45nm CPU with Vcore as 1.42v and would never run one higher than that. Check your stepping in CPUz and let me know what it is.and do make sure C1E/C2E and all other CPU advanced BIOS settings ere disabled (except PECI if its listed, leave enabled)If you are not using Memset to SAVE a change for Windows boot then Memset will override the BIOS at Windows boot only... Memset is only needed for testing and do note you can not change CMD or CAS in Memset on the fly, only sub timing values. As Max mentioned anything you change in Memset will not effect the BIOS and only remain active for Windows until a reboot unless you selet to SAVE the settings which will enable them at boot. Otherwise Memset is not needed if the same settings are used in the BIOS

Sean,That thread that Max mentioned at the Xtreme Systems site is the one where I got the initial settings for this RAM when I started overclocking my system. It's a long thread but, a good read. I have a thread there as well about the specific combination we're using and, while I didn't keep updating there too long, there are a few tips that may or may not help you. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197097 . My setup is quite different now from the pics in that thread when I was starting out. Sorry it didn't stay stable for you. I ran OCCT on mine today and it performed fine. My board has the C0 stepping so I don't push beyond 1.4v. On a whim, I loosened my timings back to 5-5-5-15 and pushed the FSB to see how far I could go. I didn't touch the vCore, and bumped the NB up to 1.57. My best was 485 x 8.5 for 4.1 GHz but I couldn't run the sim there. I pulled back to a little less than 3.9 with an 8 multi and had a real nice flight. RAM ran at 1164 MHz with 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2v. I'm not saying you should do this. I'm just letting you know for reference. Nick has mentioned that these sticks should be at 2.1v. My specs say that these are rated to run 533MHZ at 2.2v so Nick, could you help me out with that one? I don't doubt your word, I'm just confused about the discrepancy. JEDEC @ 270 and 400 shows 1.8v and EPP @ 533 shows 2.2v. At any rate Sean, keep pluggin'. If you can get it stable up around 3.8 GHz, you will see an improvement. Like Nick mentioned, it's not so much faster as it is smoother. If ultimately you can't get there, 3.6 GHZ is nothing to be ashamed of. It's a nice overclock.Sorry I don't have more answers but I know Nick and Max do so, good luck!Jeff*EDIT* Incidently Nick, do you have any suggestions for improving the data transfer from the hard drives short of running my system faster? Are there any other settings, outside of OC'ing the system further, that will help maximize throughput? Any ideas you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sean,That thread that Max mentioned at the Xtreme Systems site is the one where I got the initial settings for this RAM when I started overclocking my system. It's a long thread but, a good read. I have a thread there as well about the specific combination we're using and, while I didn't keep updating there too long, there are a few tips that may or may not help you. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197097 . My setup is quite different now from the pics in that thread when I was starting out. Sorry it didn't stay stable for you. I ran OCCT on mine today and it performed fine. My board has the C0 stepping so I don't push beyond 1.4v. On a whim, I loosened my timings back to 5-5-5-15 and pushed the FSB to see how far I could go. I didn't touch the vCore, and bumped the NB up to 1.57. My best was 485 x 8.5 for 4.1 GHz but I couldn't run the sim there. I pulled back to a little less than 3.9 with an 8 multi and had a real nice flight. RAM ran at 1164 MHz with 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2v. Nick has mentioned that these sticks should be at 2.1v. My specs say that these are rated to run 533MHZ at 2.2v so Nick, could you help me out with that one? I don't doubt your word, I'm just confused about the discrepancy. JEDEC @ 270 and 400 shows 1.8v and EPP @ 533 shows 2.2v. At any rate Sean, keep pluggin'. If you can get it stable up around 3.8 GHz, you will see an improvement. Like Nick mentioned, it's not so much faster as it is smoother. If ultimately you can't get there, 3.6 GHZ is nothing to be ashamed of. It's a nice overclock.Sorry I don't have more answers but I know Nick and Max do so, good luck!Jeff
Hey Jeff. I was just getting ready to reply to Nicks remarks when I saw you posted. Yeah, I started get errors on prime, although I am going to download OOCT and start using it. I got to a funny point that after it would fail prime when I restarted the computer it would reboot, but only to a black screen. The keyboard lights would be on, but nothing on the screen. The only way I could get back into BIOS was by powering down. Needless to say, I started getting worried and set everything back to 9 X 400 with the 400 strap and 1066 ram speed. I will continue to plug away, however scary as it is. Well, really the only scary thing was that under the prime95 blend test, which I keep failing, is that the NB temps got to 55-56 degrees. for some reason, even with all the fans that NB temp seems high to me, but Nick said that as long as it stays under 60 it should be ok. The only thing is, when I am flying I can't keep exiting FSX to check temps, although I don't know that FSX generates temps like a prime95 blend test does.Well, I am going to reply to Nick now. I will keep you posted.Thanks - Sean

Hey Jeff. I was just getting ready to reply to Nicks remarks when I saw you posted. Yeah, I started get errors on prime, although I am going to download OOCT and start using it. I got to a funny point that after it would fail prime when I restarted the computer it would reboot, but only to a black screen. The keyboard lights would be on, but nothing on the screen. The only way I could get back into BIOS was by powering down. Needless to say, I started getting worried and set everything back to 9 X 400 with the 400 strap and 1066 ram speed. I will continue to plug away, however scary as it is. Well, really the only scary thing was that under the prime95 blend test, which I keep failing, is that the NB temps got to 55-56 degrees. for some reason, even with all the fans that NB temp seems high to me, but Nick said that as long as it stays under 60 it should be ok. The only thing is, when I am flying I can't keep exiting FSX to check temps, although I don't know that FSX generates temps like a prime95 blend test does.Well, I am going to reply to Nick now. I will keep you posted.Thanks - Sean
I've found that when the system posts fine but won't boot to Windows, a notch of vCore will solve the problem. Don't go beyond 1.4v though. As for the NB temps, I've seen mine as high as 65c on a really warm day with no adverse effects but, yeah, keep it as cool as you can.Talk to ya later,Jeff

The memory you are running is pretty much locked at stock timing and probably will not go over 1093 @ 2.1v which is why I posted what I did about the corsair sticks. 1081 @ 5-5-5 is pretty much their hard limit. You wont get any more out of those.If you are stable at 3.6 call that your base for 450MHz. In order to go higher I would say it will require more vcore over any other setting but do check the 2 I posted and set them as such. The E84000 is known for hitting 4GHz and I have even seen reports of 4.2-4.4 so the process0r will do 3.8 if it is a E0 slugThe difference between 3.6 and 3.8 is what I would call a nice little bump and if its possible stable and safe I would try for it. Its not going to equate to frames and this 'more frames is better' thing everyone talks about is not what its about... its about improving the visuals and how smooth the flight flows. In that you can be at 24-27 frames and never need one frame more. I have seen 45 frames look terrible with jitters and 28 smooth as glass. FS9 was much more sensitive to higher frame rate need than FSXSo yes 200Mhz would be nice to get if its possible but it will not provide what 4-4.5 doesThere are 2 steppings in that processor... C0 and E0E0 is the high clocker/low voltage... Some C0 chips wont reach the high clocks, some will but require 1.4v+ to do 4GHz so if CPUz shows stepping as C0 that icould be why you may be limited.If this is a E0 chip it should not have any problem with 3.8GHz @ somewhere between 1.34-1.40v and do be aware I consider the hard limit on a 45nm CPU with Vcore as 1.42v and would never run one higher than that. Check your stepping in CPUz and let me know what it is.and do make sure C1E/C2E and all other CPU advanced BIOS settings ere disabled (except PECI if its listed, leave enabled)If you are not using Memset to SAVE a change for Windows boot then Memset will override the BIOS at Windows boot only... Memset is only needed for testing and do note you can not change CMD or CAS in Memset on the fly, only sub timing values. As Max mentioned anything you change in Memset will not effect the BIOS and only remain active for Windows until a reboot unless you selet to SAVE the settings which will enable them at boot. Otherwise Memset is not needed if the same settings are used in the BIOS
Hi Nick. I went into CPU-z and checked the box under the box titled "stepping" that said "revision" and it says C0. In my advanced bios settings I have these options and this is how they are set:C1E Support - DisbaledCPU TM Fuction - EnabledVanderpool tech - EnabledExecute Disable Bit - EnabledMAX CPUID value Limit - DisabledSo I should disable all these settings? And if so, should these always remain disabled regardless of the clock that I am going for?Ok, assuming I dont touch any of the RAM settings, I can go back to 8.5 X 450 and try to get that stable. If I leave the RAM untouched at 5-5-5-15 should I go for the 333 strap with either DRAM 901 mhz or 1081 OR the 400 strap at DRAM 900? Which ever one you recommend I try what limit should I use on the NB voltage considering that mine seems to run hotter than most even with 4 fans?Another thing that had happened was that after runing the prime95 blend test I noticed that the NB temps would get to around 55-56 degrees pretty fast, but not any higher than it failed. But the weird thing was that when I would restart the computer it would hang in a black screen after Windows shut down with the key board lights still on. I would have to power off then restart. Upon restart the message would come on about the failed OC.Lastly before I go to bed, should I always leave DRAM STATIC READ CONTROL set to DISABLED and the AI Clock Twister on Auto or on light, if I keep the 5-5-51 timings?Thanks in advance, off to bed. I will check back tomorrow night when I get home.

Hi Nick. I went into CPU-z and checked the box under the box titled "stepping" that said "revision" and it says C0. In my advanced bios settings I have these options and this is how they are set:C1E Support - DisbaledCPU TM Fuction - EnabledVanderpool tech - EnabledExecute Disable Bit - EnabledMAX CPUID value Limit - DisabledSo I should disable all these settings? And if so, should these always remain disabled regardless of the clock that I am going for?
TM = Thermal Monitoring, a feature you definitely do not want to disable unless running colder-than-ambient (i.e. water or phase-change) cooling. Vanderpool is the codename for Intel's Virtualization technology. If you don't run any virtual machine software, you don't need it. Execute disable bit is a technology supported since XP SP2 which allows the OS to stop execution of a thread if it is flagged as malicious. I suggest you leave this enabled. The Max CPUID limit is to limit the amount of CPU cores the OS sees. Definitely leave that disabled.
Ok, assuming I dont touch any of the RAM settings, I can go back to 8.5 X 450 and try to get that stable. If I leave the RAM untouched at 5-5-5-15 should I go for the 333 strap with either DRAM 901 mhz or 1081 OR the 400 strap at DRAM 900?
If you want to continue to attempt to overclock, go for the lowest base memory speed and start to slowly adjust the FSB upwards.
Which ever one you recommend I try what limit should I use on the NB voltage considering that mine seems to run hotter than most even with 4 fans?
This is because you're running more voltage on the NB than is likely necessary. Default NB voltage for Intel 3/4 series chipsets is only 1.1V. I only need 1.3-1.4V on my Gigabyte P35 board to reach a 2GHz FSB (same with the Abit P35 board I had previously). No way do you need the 1.49-1.55V you've been running to hit 1.8GHz.
Another thing that had happened was that after runing the prime95 blend test I noticed that the NB temps would get to around 55-56 degrees pretty fast, but not any higher than it failed.
Again, too much voltage. The chip is leaking like crazy right now because it wasn't designed to handle the voltage being pumped through it. All that extra power has to go somewhere and that ends up being heat.
But the weird thing was that when I would restart the computer it would hang in a black screen after Windows shut down with the key board lights still on. I would have to power off then restart. Upon restart the message would come on about the failed OC.
As Jeff said, likely need more CPU voltage.
Lastly before I go to bed, should I always leave DRAM STATIC READ CONTROL set to DISABLED and the AI Clock Twister on Auto or on light, if I keep the 5-5-51 timings?
The answers you seek are at XtremeSystems. Definitely leave the Static Read Control disabled. AI Clock Twister could go either way. Enabling it could help extract better RAM performance, especially if running your RAM below its rated speed. Hope this helps,Max

Sean,That thread that Max mentioned at the Xtreme Systems site is the one where I got the initial settings for this RAM when I started overclocking my system. It's a long thread but, a good read. I have a thread there as well about the specific combination we're using and, while I didn't keep updating there too long, there are a few tips that may or may not help you. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197097 . My setup is quite different now from the pics in that thread when I was starting out. Sorry it didn't stay stable for you. I ran OCCT on mine today and it performed fine. My board has the C0 stepping so I don't push beyond 1.4v. On a whim, I loosened my timings back to 5-5-5-15 and pushed the FSB to see how far I could go. I didn't touch the vCore, and bumped the NB up to 1.57. My best was 485 x 8.5 for 4.1 GHz but I couldn't run the sim there. I pulled back to a little less than 3.9 with an 8 multi and had a real nice flight. RAM ran at 1164 MHz with 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2v. I'm not saying you should do this. I'm just letting you know for reference. Nick has mentioned that these sticks should be at 2.1v. My specs say that these are rated to run 533MHZ at 2.2v so Nick, could you help me out with that one? I don't doubt your word, I'm just confused about the discrepancy. JEDEC @ 270 and 400 shows 1.8v and EPP @ 533 shows 2.2v. At any rate Sean, keep pluggin'. If you can get it stable up around 3.8 GHz, you will see an improvement. Like Nick mentioned, it's not so much faster as it is smoother. If ultimately you can't get there, 3.6 GHZ is nothing to be ashamed of. It's a nice overclock.Sorry I don't have more answers but I know Nick and Max do so, good luck!Jeff*EDIT* Incidently Nick, do you have any suggestions for improving the data transfer from the hard drives short of running my system faster? Are there any other settings, outside of OC'ing the system further, that will help maximize throughput? Any ideas you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks.
If the sticks are rated for 2.2v and the manufacture posts they are safe up to 2.2v, then use 2.2vNo matter what the JEDEC spec is the manufacture of the sticks makes that call, not JEDEC They design circuits on the PCB layer which define what they will allow and warranteeSome manufactures do not specify a higher voltage even though sticks may be able to run that voltage... typically that comes with the standard memory products which the manufacture does not expect the user to clock. High performance memory will usually come with the correct max spec from the manufacture. Storage performance is based on the drive/controller/driver. Other than making sure you are using the best drive, the right controller and a good driver/firmware defrag stradegy with no partitions is the only other way to obtain perf. There are reg changes that can be made for network systems and SCSI RAID however those will not help with any typical home or gaming storage system