Sign in to follow this  
jfri

I Don't Like The Default Water

I use UTX and GEX with FSX and one remaining thing still feels as unreal as it gets. That is the water and I'm particulary refering tp the color of the water. It's light blue and outside the tropics I think that's unreal. For now I like the water I get in FS9 with real environment pro to be far better than what I have in FSX. So what is the best cure for FSX? Keep in mind that performence is important for me considering my system AMD 64 4000+ OC 2.6 GHz 2 Gb 400 MHz RAM XFX 7950GT 512M DDR3 AGP WD Raptor 150 Gb 10000 rpm Win XP Home FSX + SP1

I use UTX and GEX with FSX and one remaining thing still feels as unreal as it gets. That is the water and I'm particulary refering tp the color of the water. It's light blue and outside the tropics I think that's unreal. For now I like the water I get in FS9 with real environment pro to be far better than what I have in FSX.
I'm confused. I use UTX and find that it does a good job at correcting the FSX waterclass outside the tropics (north-central Florida). Do you have the WC Waterclass Layer active in the UTX setup?Art

Art

Guest Nick_N
I use UTX and GEX with FSX and one remaining thing still feels as unreal as it gets. That is the water and I'm particulary refering tp the color of the water. It's light blue and outside the tropics I think that's unreal. For now I like the water I get in FS9 with real environment pro to be far better than what I have in FSX. So what is the best cure for FSX? Keep in mind that performence is important for me considering my system AMD 64 4000+ OC 2.6 GHz 2 Gb 400 MHz RAM XFX 7950GT 512M DDR3 AGP WD Raptor 150 Gb 10000 rpm Win XP Home FSX + SP1
all I can tell you is what I useFEX with the following themes which are downloaded through the interface:Clouds: Realistically DenseSky: Misty SkysWater: Your choice.. I use a special profile I made for FSWC: Nicks Natural Wonder or Depths of Tropics 2 both available on the FEX server for download through the interfaceWaves: Medium Pacific or Choppy XI only use 1024 and DXt5 for all selections in the FEX configuration settings for the textures FSWC is a water shader tweaker and its free http://www.fswaterconfigurator.com/Water must be set to at least 2xLOW ... FSWC will not help 1x water however there are 1x water reflections I made posted at the FSWC download page Right now I use a specail edited theme with settings not available for the current FSWC interface yet but will be soon with an upcoming update FSWC+ with DX10 support as well.With FSWC as it is currently designed and the FEX themes I posted, try these settingsOpen notepad, put below in it and save the notepad file as NickN1.pfl[profile]class = userimage = noneslider1value =27slider2value =14slider3value =6slider4value =80slider5value =75slider6value =50slider7value =15slider8value =10Drop it into the FS Water Configurator\Profiles folderI like this one for overcast and windy daysmake notepad put below in it and save as NickN2.pflDrop it into the FS Water Configurator\Profiles folder[profile]class = userimage = noneslider1value =50slider2value =25slider3value =4slider4value =34slider5value =87slider6value =60slider7value =10slider8value =10Open FSWC and select one of the profiles.. the interface will automatically change and simply apply the settings.. launch FSXYou can change FSWC and water shaders while FSX is running but you must drop to desktop to do so You can tweak and play with the sliders to learn how it works and trim water to you likingThere are more predefined profiles in the FSWC interface so you can play around with them and see what you like

I'm confused. I use UTX and find that it does a good job at correcting the FSX waterclass outside the tropics (north-central Florida). Do you have the WC Waterclass Layer active in the UTX setup?Art
Yes I have but I read in the UTX info window that it is best suited for al least 2X water effects and I have only water setting at 1.high. I have so since from what I understand the higher settings only add reflections. And that shouldn't affect the watercolor or?

I use the 2x low water setting. While the water isn't very good at 1x high, it is not that FSX default blue found in the tropics when using UTX USA outside the tropics. Of course you may be flying in another part of the world not affected by UTX USA.Art

Art

Guest RonB49
Yes I have but I read in the UTX info window that it is best suited for al least 2X water effects and I have only water setting at 1.high. I have so since from what I understand the higher settings only add reflections. And that shouldn't affect the watercolor or?
2X water adds more than just reflections. It does, in fact, change the colors and is MUCH MORE realistic, IMO. Try it. What have you got to lose? R-

I use the 2x low water setting. While the water isn't very good at 1x high, it is not that FSX default blue found in the tropics when using UTX USA outside the tropics. Of course you may be flying in another part of the world not affected by UTX USA.Art
No it's inside USA i.e around Manhattan. At 1x high I had a distinct light blue color but of course it could still be different in the tropics.
2X water adds more than just reflections. It does, in fact, change the colors and is MUCH MORE realistic, IMO. Try it. What have you got to lose? R-
I have tried it and I agree the colors got a bit more realistically dark blue. But I still think the water in FS9+Real environment pro is better. And the main thing I could loose would be performence but I didn't notice any significant inpact by raising the slider one notch to 2x low. But raising it even more is another thing.

No it's inside USA i.e around Manhattan. At 1x high I had a distinct light blue color but of course it could still be different in the tropics.
The "Ultimate Terrain" drop down menu in the UTX setup tool includes a "Change Water Color Tint (Waterclass)" item under Local Modifications. You might check it out. It includes yucky options named Algae/Plankton Tint, Muddy Water Tint and Muddy and Algae/Plankton Tint in addition to the default Clear Water Coloring (blue tint). I havn't tried to make any deviations from the UTX default since the water is clear where I live.Art

Art