Sign in to follow this  
--Randy--

Hopping Around The Pacific Islands?

I am wanting to put together some hops around the Pacific for the flying club I belong to. We are wanting to get in some old WW2 war birds and do some island hopping and I was wondering if anyone out there has done this and has any routes they liked? Any ideas would be helpful and appreciated. If you know of any good scenery to go along with it, that would be fantastic. ThanksRandy

Randy

The problem with these routes is there is not much to see besides the few minutes before you come into the airport.I would suggest routes through Asia and up and down the west coast of South America and North America. There is a lot of interesting terrain to fly through and approaches in the mountains.

We usually fly through some of the Pacific Islands every year in the MSFS Around the World Race.It can be pretty boring at times because the rules call for two hour time limits for each flight - and we try to get as much distance as possible in that time - normally 550-650 nm.The guys at Sim Out-House have done a couple multi-player events through the Solomon Islands - which are close enough for relatively short flights. But many of the runways can be a challenge for the P-47 or P-51 many of the guys like.Another pretty good area is New Caledonia.The French Polynesia islands are in three different groups of good flights. Short runways might be an issue for some war birds.If you are in FS2004 - watch out for Norfolk Island - YSNF - between New Caledonia and New Zealand and Australia. A land / water class error makes the runways floating in a lake. There is a fix around, or a scenery for FS2004 in the library - norfolk_island_ysnf_2007.zip

Thanks a lot.....those are really good suggestions. I was afraid that one flight after another over the water would be pretty boring.

Randy