Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tim W

Is flight in VC mode different (in its' nature) to 2D m

Over the last 18 months or so since FS2002 came out ,I have flown mostly in 2D mode as it is what I used to do in FS98 and 3D mode just didn't feel the same to me somehow. Now, I have been trying to fly some aircraft which have reasonably decent VC's and am finding that , although I can nail a landing perfectly in 2D mode, I seem to frequenly do them badly in VC mode. Particularly on late final, the VC mode seems to me to react to control input much more slowly - so that if I find myself off centreline , I find it quite difficult to get back onto the correct approach line while in VC.Am I dreaming this? - or do others notice it? I have a P3/1000.Barry

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You have to learn your reference points all over again (i.e. where the center of the panel is, which way the nose is really pointing etc.)which will make lining up an adventure for a while. Also, map the "center viewpoint" to a joystick button, so you know that you are looking straight ahead after panning left, right etc.

If you feel that the plane reacts slower , it may be your frame rates not being high enough. I fly 2d when i'm in a jet and I make sure I have my computer set to 32 bit true color and high resolution. When I want to fly say the 172 ... I do it in the Virtual cockpit, and to speed and smooth things... I set the color to 16 bit and resolution (in your control panel for windows) down lower ... the difference scenery wise isn't much ...and my vc is very smooth. and the main advantage to VC is you get a better feel for being in the airplanel.You'll find that just as in the real airplane, you will hold altitude by referencing the horizon. Something I do, is the up and down arrows on my keyboard are set to move the eye point up and down and the left and right arrows move the eyepoint right and left. During take off , I move the eyepoint up so I can see over the cowling better. then during level flight I move it down so I can see out the sid windows better (to look for traffic as in the real plane).Try it out ...once you get used to it ...you'll use it alot...although it's only really good for taxiing when used with jets in my opinion.

I'm not sure if it's because you are loosing preformance in VC mode or not. Try setting your gauge quality to low. I have a new love for virtual cockpits. I fly RealAir's Sai Marchetti 260 with Anticyclone's Active Camera 1.3 and truely nothing compares. You can mover to either side on the cockpit and in VC mode your seat height really raises the seat not the horizon and with your middle mouse you can zoom in just right. Not to mention the fact that when you turn your head will turn slightly in that direction or bounce down the runway. With the new clickable types out and comming standard in FS9, everyone will be using them.Best Wishes, Randy J. Smith[h5]San Jose Ca[/h5][h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3]AMD XP 2100 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

Hi cw1011,Relearning reference points I believe is what is required here. As someone who used FS before migrating to being a real-world pilot, I can tell you that re-learning those reference points is as much (if not more) of a problem when in a real cockpit. Bruce.

>>>I'm not sure if it's because you are loosing preformance in >VC mode or not. Try setting your gauge quality to low. >I have a new love for virtual cockpits. Yes - I am suspecting that the difference in "feel" between the 2D cockpit and the VC has something to do with the computer system ie framerates. I don't feel that it is a matter of the different perspective -- but more of a matter of the aircraft not doing what I want it to do or not doing it in a manner that I am used to. In other words, I am convinced that flying in the VC mode is different to the 2D mode and requires a different flying "style".I am surprised that there have not been more comments about this - it could be that those who have faster, more powerful computer systems do not experience this difference.Barry

From what I've seen on my system, the difference in feel is not related to the overall fps as such, but to the gauge refresh rates. While frame rates in VC mode are usually better than in 2D mode, the gauge refresh rates are much slower, therefore you'll see a delayed reaction to any controller input.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

i "fly" only in VC and can't say i've noticed what you mentioned. i've recently started using active camera, and it adds a bit of reality also. i don't know if you've tried it, but the posky crj has about the best vc i've seen[freeware]. since i "stay" inside 98% of the flight, the "look" and "feel" is of great importance. happy simming, tt

BarryThere is a delay on some instruments in the VC, especially the VSI. However for best results and if your joystick/column has enough buttons you must go into the assignments under VIEWS and set buttons for the eyepoint commands, When you have this set you can move your eyepoint up, down, left right, and in and out in the VC, It makes a BIG difference. I use a Saitek stick/throttle and use the hat switches for this. Believe me it's invaluable. That combined with Active Camera makes all the difference.RegardsTim