Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Fsx Crashing With Dep Kills Key Commands

Whenever FSX crashes a little box comes up and yacks about Data Execution Prevention blah blah blah, and then I'm returned to Windows. Well, everytime this happens apparently my keyboard keys and controls are all set back to default settingsl GRRRRRRRRRR ARRRGGHHHG GRRRRR!!! Upsetting...I tried to turn off DEP for FSX but it said it needed to be on.What can I do to stop this? I'm getting the crashes from a known issue with the Citation Mustang. The crashes themsevles are annoying but not as annoying as my keyboard keys and stuff getting reset EVERYTIME this happens....What do the gurus recommend regarding DEP?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ryan,Unfortunately you cannot disable DEP for FSX. I would recommend you get on the Mustang support forum to see if they can find a solution. At present, if it keeps causing you crashes, and is a pain in ther arse to deal with....the only interim solution I can recommend is to not use the Mustang.

Why would it delete my keyboard/controls configs though?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Why would it delete my keyboard/controls configs though?
Out of spite perhaps? :( But as for the aftermath... next time you get the controls configured, make a copy of the standard.xml (that records those assignments) and then overwrite the (potentially damaged) default version with your copy anytime you suspect it may have changed - then fly.Loyd

Ryan, right click on your FSX Desktop Shortcut, and click the "Compatibility" tab.Make certain to put a check mark on these two items:Disable visual themesDisable desktop compositionThat might eliminate your CTD problem.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator