Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Shirrefs

How To Add To The Airline Call Sign List?

Is there a simple way to add real airlines to the FSX list of Airline Call Signs that's available when choosing a plane? I womdfered if there was a file that could be text edited to make the list look a little more realistic?Many thanksMichael

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,There is a file called airlines.cfg file that controls that list. However, ATC may or may not recognize it. For that you can use the EdidVocePAck files from FS04 or try the beta for FSX.

MichaelIf you add an aircraft from a major airline (lets say UNITED) to your airplane file, and the cfg.file for that plane is constructed properly, than ATC will call that United plane. Many major airlines will be called, whether you use them a AI or user aircraft. If you want custom callsigns, then you must go the EditVoicePak3 route. EVP for FSX will not create custom callsigns. In my sim I have replaced almost all the default textures with real major airline textures so that AI planes are real world.Bob

MichaelIf you add an aircraft from a major airline (lets say UNITED) to your airplane file, and the cfg.file for that plane is constructed properly, than ATC will call that United plane. Many major airlines will be called, whether you use them a AI or user aircraft. If you want custom callsigns, then you must go the EditVoicePak3 route. EVP for FSX will not create custom callsigns. In my sim I have replaced almost all the default textures with real major airline textures so that AI planes are real world.Bob
Bob,I just read your response to Michael's query.I have been out of the loop in FS for a while until I could get a new system that would run FSX without problems. Now I see that have been a few changes. I too want to rid my sim of the fake airlines that FS always provides, but the airline.cfg file only contains those airlines. I tried using an United Express texure for the CRJ700 and changed the aircraft.cfg file to add the livery, but ATC still only recognises my tail number when calling. I have UT for FSX and the sim recognises those aircraft, but don't know how it does it I can't find an aircraft.cfg for UT. What am I doing wrong.Thanks and have a great New Year.Tom

TomI have no add on traffic packages. Just planes I add or alter. Here is how I do it. Back up everything you change. Lets say I want to change ORBIT 737 to UNITED. There are United textures available on Avsim. I put the United texture folder in the FSX 737 folder, and name it "United". In the aircraft cfg. file, find the entry for the Orbit plane. Change the texture entry to United, UI variation to United and ATC airline to United Airlines. No more Orbit 737 at your airports. This is the same for FS9. And good luck finding a system that runs FSX with no problems. This weekend I am upgrading my system in search of that very goal. Going to Q9550 and gforce 260

TomI have no add on traffic packages. Just planes I add or alter. Here is how I do it. Back up everything you change. Lets say I want to change ORBIT 737 to UNITED. There are United textures available on Avsim. I put the United texture folder in the FSX 737 folder, and name it "United". In the aircraft cfg. file, find the entry for the Orbit plane. Change the texture entry to United, UI variation to United and ATC airline to United Airlines. No more Orbit 737 at your airports. This is the same for FS9. And good luck finding a system that runs FSX with no problems. This weekend I am upgrading my system in search of that very goal. Going to Q9550 and gforce 260Bobby thanks for the info.I already had done all that and when ATC contacts me it calls me by the aircraft manufacturer and my tail number. If I remove a tail number then it still calls me by the manufacturer and then spells out the airline name I have used. FS9 didn't have this problem that I remember.Tom

-SNIP-Bobby thanks for the info.I already had done all that and when ATC contacts me it calls me by the aircraft manufacturer and my tail number. If I remove a tail number then it still calls me by the manufacturer and then spells out the airline name I have used. FS9 didn't have this problem that I remember.Tom
What is your "atc_airline=" entry in your aircraft.cfg file?It sounds ( no pun intended ) as though you have either mis-spelled the entry or aretrying to use an entry that is not present in the FSX ATC voicepack.As someone has pointed out, there is a beta version of EditVoicePack available for FSX. Although it will not allow you to editor add callsigns, you could use it to see the lists of the callsigns that are supported.To add or edit callsigns, you would need to use the FS9 version of EditVoicePack. Just because an airline entry may exist in the airlines.cfg file doesn't necessarily mean thatit exists in the voicepack. Paul

Using the method I discribed above will cause ATC to call AI by major airline names. But I forgot that ATC will not call the user aircraft that way. I have just reinstalled FSX. In my old installation I used the FS9 voicepak which I believe would work for the user aircraft. I haven't gotten that far yet so I don't remember. I usually flew airliners from my own airline so I created a callsign in Editvoicepak3 and used the entire voicepak in FSX.Bob

What is your "atc_airline=" entry in your aircraft.cfg file?It sounds ( no pun intended ) as though you have either mis-spelled the entry or aretrying to use an entry that is not present in the FSX ATC voicepack.As someone has pointed out, there is a beta version of EditVoicePack available for FSX. Although it will not allow you to editor add callsigns, you could use it to see the lists of the callsigns that are supported.To add or edit callsigns, you would need to use the FS9 version of EditVoicePack. Just because an airline entry may exist in the airlines.cfg file doesn't necessarily mean thatit exists in the voicepack. Paul
I've been using the EVP 4.0 CTP...the one that the author has NO PLANS to update, allowing importation of third party EVP files. I've tried to use EVP 3.1 or whatever version is current and when I import the new EVP files, go through all of the rest of the stuff like I used to in FS2004, compile the updated voicepack, and then import it into FSX, it crashes FSX. Any tips as to how to get it to actually work? I've noticed some callsigns in FSX are completely unavailable in FS2004. For example, the ABEX callsign comes standard in FSX, while AB EX must be imported in FS2004 and there is no ABEX callsign in FS2004.Is there a step that I'm missing here? I've even copied the updated airlines.cfg over to FSX and still no dice. -Brad

I've been using the EVP 4.0 CTP...the one that the author has NO PLANS to update, allowing importation of third party EVP files. I've tried to use EVP 3.1 or whatever version is current and when I import the new EVP files, go through all of the rest of the stuff like I used to in FS2004, compile the updated voicepack, and then import it into FSX, it crashes FSX. Any tips as to how to get it to actually work? I've noticed some callsigns in FSX are completely unavailable in FS2004. For example, the ABEX callsign comes standard in FSX, while AB EX must be imported in FS2004 and there is no ABEX callsign in FS2004.Is there a step that I'm missing here? I've even copied the updated airlines.cfg over to FSX and still no dice. -Brad
How are you "importing" the voicepack from the FS9 version of EditVoicePack?I simply copy the file "USEnglishBig.gvp" file into the FSX "Sound\ATC" folder.Note the .gvp extension. I THINK the FSX original voicepack had a ".evp" extensionbut I'm not certain.I do not use the beta version of EditVoicePack for anything..... Paul
How are you "importing" the voicepack from the FS9 version of EditVoicePack?I simply copy the file "USEnglishBig.gvp" file into the FSX "Sound\ATC" folder.Note the .gvp extension. I THINK the FSX original voicepack had a ".evp" extensionbut I'm not certain.I do not use the beta version of EditVoicePack for anything.....As for callsigns that are in FSX but not FS9, you can create them using the FS9 versionof EditVoicePack. I'm not sure if the beta version allows one to 'export' a call sign.If it does, then you could import it into the FS9 version. Paul

I think I found my problem. 'United Express' is not recognised by FSX ATC as a valid airline. Once I changed the ATC airline to United it worked fine. I am going to try using EVP as suggested. Thanks for all the help, and Michael thanks for letting me tag my request onto yours. I hope your problem has reached a satisfactory conclusionTom :(

Just for the sake of general information...The "airlines.cfg" file in both FS9 and FSX has one -and only one - purpose......it is the source file for the drop-down box in the aircraft selection user interface. Period.Of course, just because a particular name is in the list doesn't mean it will work! You have to have the exact same name in the sim's voicepack file: USEnglishBig.gvp-or-EvpAccelerated3.gvp (if you have EditVoicepack installed)airlinescfgfileug9.jpg