Sign in to follow this  
marcom

Mini Panel possible?

As the nose attitude is quite high with flaps 35, I would like to enlarge my outside view by pressing 'W'. Doing so shows the default cessna instruments which is not very nice. Would it be possible to create a custom mini panel showing only the PFD, ND and possibly engine instruments without any panel borders?Thanks!Mark

Mark Foti

Author of aviaworx - https://www.aviaworx.com

logo_avsim.png

No. Those are presented by FS9. The addon aircraft do not change them (737/747/MD11 included).The view from the VC cockpit can be changed to suit your tastes by raising/lowering eyepoint. Have you tried it? I have found the VC cockpit in the MD11 to be my preferred view whereas I never use it in the 737 and sometimes in the 747.

Dan Downs KCRP

Actually, it is possible!Check out the Level D 763 if you have her.Basically it shouldn't be that difficult I think. Something along the lines:

window47=Mini Panel...[Window47]position=7size_mm=446, 457child_3d=1ident=MINIPANELgauge00=PMDG_MD11!DU, 0  , 0  , 446, 457,		ONE   MAIN

Resulting in something like this:(Of couse FS9!)

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png

The number of available windows is limited and the developers chose not to provide this for what ever reason.Try out the VC.

Dan Downs KCRP

I don't like VC's that much because the instruments' refresh rate is quite low and the displays aren't very clear. I much prefer the mini panel especially during the visual phase of the flight (for example a night visual approach). To tell you the truth, I'd prefer the mini over the F/O's oxygen panel :( If anyone wants to try it, open the panel.cfg, scroll down to Window43 and comment that part out (by using //)(Make a backup copy of the panel.cfg just to make sure!)Then add this:

[Window43]position=7size_mm=1200, 370child_3d=1ident=MINIPANELgauge00=PMDG_MD11!DU, 0  , 0  , 400, 400,		ONE   MAINgauge01=PMDG_MD11!DU, 400, 0  , 400, 400,		TWO   MAINgauge02=PMDG_MD11!DU, 800, 0  , 400, 400,		THREE MAIN

And save the file!Then just press 'W' and try that wonderful approach into LPMA or TNCM !Here is a quick preview:

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png

I don't like VC's that much because the instruments' refresh rate is quite low and the displays aren't very clear. I much prefer the mini panel especially during the visual phase of the flight (for example a night visual approach). To tell you the truth, I'd prefer the mini over the F/O's oxygen panel :( If anyone wants to try it, open the panel.cfg, scroll down to Window43 and comment that part out (by using //)(Make a backup copy of the panel.cfg just to make sure!)Then add this:
[Window43]position=7size_mm=1200, 370child_3d=1ident=MINIPANELgauge00=PMDG_MD11!DU, 0  , 0  , 400, 400,		ONE   MAINgauge01=PMDG_MD11!DU, 400, 0  , 400, 400,		TWO   MAINgauge02=PMDG_MD11!DU, 800, 0  , 400, 400,		THREE MAIN

And save the file!Then just press 'W' and try that wonderful approach into LPMA or TNCM !Here is a quick preview:

Marcom (please sign with your real name as this forum rules require)Be aware that PMDG strongly recommends users not to attempt to do any changes to the distributed files, and will not be able to provide support for any problems arising from these changes. What you propose looks like an easy addition, but it isn't that simple. There are several PMDG specific parameters that are included to each gauge definition line and if you don't know what exactly to use (which you can't) things might go wrong. Especially for gauges that appear more than once in the panel.cfg file. Problems could include non properly refreshing gauges, severe drops in framerates etc. What happens next is that a user reports a problem and we are trying in vain to help him, to find out after hours of wasted support effort (if we ever find it) that he is using a user edited configuration file that is causing all the trouble. The reason we didn't included custom mini-panels is that we have almost reached the FS limit of total number of windows that can be included in the panel.cfg and we wanted to leave some space for other applications (like FS2Crew) that add windows to the panel.cfg file. Sometime later when I have some time, I might consider creating an "official" modification for mini panels.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Hi Michael,being a SW developer myself I know exactly what you mean! Don't worry, should I ever have a problem with the MD11, the first thing I'll do before contacting support would be to use the default panel.cfg!I also fully understand that my mod is not supported in any way and that I am using it at my own risk. But I like it :( As you probably saw, I replaced the FO's oxy panel with my custom mini panel because I tried to make as few modifications as possible.As of now, can you think of a problem I could run into by referencing the three DU's in the panel.cfg?Anyway, should you ever create an official mini panel (which I would appreciate a lot!) feel free to use my setup. I think the three DU's display enough information to perform a visual approach and doesn't clutter the display. As you can see, I also resized the displays a bit to increase the visual area.At this point I would also like to express my gratitude for producing this amazing addon! Excellent stuff :( Cheers,Mark (sorry for not signing my replies)

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png