Sign in to follow this  
Lifter191

Should I buy a new Graphics Card for FS9 ?

Hi GuysI've had my current setup for FS9 for a few years now and thought it might benefit from a little upgrade. My current setup is an AMD Athlon 64 3700 venice cpu on an Asus A8N-E board with 2 gig of RAM and a XFX Geforce 7600 GT 256mb DDR3 factory overclocked Graphic card.I don't plan to upgrade to FSX any time soon because I don't think I could afford to build a machine that would run it at a reasonable speed...My upgrade will be to an AMD Athlon64 X2 6000 3.1ghz Asus M2N68-AM and 2 gig of 800mhz Ram... I know this is not as good as an intel C2D but it was a great deal and I'm hoping it will give my FS9 rig a bit more processing power without costing me a huge amount of moneyMy question is would I benefit from a new Graphics card?The prices on the 9800GT 512mb cards seem good value at the moment but would I be wasting my money on a card which is really too good for the rest of my system. If so what Graphics Card would the experts here suggest?Here's my setupFS2004Level D 767PMDG 737 800ATR 72-500UT EuropeFlight EnvoronmentGround Environment ProActive Sky 6.5Radar ContactFaro 2005Mega Airport Frankfurt Wonderful MadeiraCloud 9 AmsterdamFS Genesis Europe/Scandinavia 76.4 and Alps 19.1 TerrainIFSD Irish SceneryISD Project..Most of the Airports in ItalyUK2000 Birmingham Extreme/ Gatwick Extreme/Heathrow ExtremeI also have some world of AI and MRAI traffic installed which I try to run at 5%CheersSteve B

If you are going to a dual AMD, than by all means go for the 9800gt. Then you might be able to run FSX OK.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Does that motherboard have an AM2 socket for the Athlon64 X2 6000+ processor? I thought it had a 939 socket.Nevermind. I didn't see that you were including a new motherboard. What you are suggesting should even run FSX reasonably.

Art

Thanks for your comments guys... I'll buy a 9800GT Graphics Card... CheersSteve

Does that motherboard have an AM2 socket for the Athlon64 X2 6000+ processor? I thought it had a 939 socket.Nevermind. I didn't see that you were including a new motherboard. What you are suggesting should even run FSX reasonably.

Guest cuizinier

There is more chance that the processor rather than the graphic card is limiting. I would do a step by step upgrade. First upgrade the proccessor and see the result. I case you end up with your upgraded system with the GPU limiting framerate (unlikely) then upgrade itConcerning the CPU why don't you consider the X2-6400 the difference in price is not that big (at least in france) and it offer (a bit) more performanceMy rig is the X2-6400 with an ATI HD3850-256. I run FS (in virtual cockpit with track -IR) with the following addons @ 1680x1050 with AA 4x and AF 16xSkai traffic (traffic set at 30%)UT Europe/USA/CanadaFlight EnvironnementGround Environnement ProActive Sky 6.5+complex airports and airplanesall setting at the maximum except extended terrain texture disabledwhen I can't reach my 22FPS limit (sometimes drop to 18FPS with complex airport, complex airplane and overcast condition) it is still the CPU that is limiting not the GPUtry upgrading the CPU only.... My prediction is that for FS9 the GPU you have is OK. At what resolution are you running FS ? what is your target FPS setting ? (with very high res or FS count things might change )cheersJulien