Sign in to follow this  
Guest jacojaco

MD-11 P&W 4462

Guest jacojaco

Hello everyone,i'm actually using the amazing and fantastic PMDG MD-11 with PW model. I know that it's a really powerful plane with a very high weight ratio but takeoffs and climb outs rates at weights around 200/220 tons seemed a little bit excessive, for example takeoff weight 220 tons, power settin t/o flex 50 C, it tooks less than 1500 meters to get airborne and the initial climb rate was roughly 4000 fpm...isn't too excessive?or it's just the real plane? :(

The real aircraft doesnt really use a lot of runway or need a shallow inital rate of climb. The original design of the MD-11 includes a "fast wing" consisting of a high wing sweep and as you can see, it is set back far on the fuselage. With that being said, MD/Boeing didnt allow a derate of too much from full thrust, so if you ever see one of these things takeoff in real life, you can see a short takeoff roll and high rate of initial climb.

The real aircraft doesnt really use a lot of runway or need a shallow inital rate of climb. The original design of the MD-11 includes a "fast wing" consisting of a high wing sweep and as you can see, it is set back far on the fuselage. With that being said, MD/Boeing didnt allow a derate of too much from full thrust, so if you ever see one of these things takeoff in real life, you can see a short takeoff roll and high rate of initial climb.
Well I am surprised that the md-11 has such a good performance. Look at the t7- It has a 200ft wing wing with about 168000 of thrust while the md-11 has a 165ft wing with 189000 of thrust and even at cruise I don't understand how it can fly with such a small wing. Just look at the comparison of aircraft- they're about the same size, so whats the difference- how does it have such a great t/o performance- are the flaps and slats that good?

Hello everyone,i'm actually using the amazing and fantastic PMDG MD-11 with PW model. I know that it's a really powerful plane with a very high weight ratio but takeoffs and climb outs rates at weights around 200/220 tons seemed a little bit excessive, for example takeoff weight 220 tons, power settin t/o flex 50 C, it tooks less than 1500 meters to get airborne and the initial climb rate was roughly 4000 fpm...isn't too excessive?or it's just the real plane? :(
Hello,I know you're looking for a technical answer to your question......well I don't have one,but take a look at this MD-11 takeoff.
/Patrick/

Hello,I know you're looking for a technical answer to your question......well I don't have one,but take a look at this MD-11 takeoff.
/Patrick/
Patrick,We tried to recreate the entire flight envelope within 2% or less. I am very happy (from a technical point of view) with the result, although some issues with the base platform (FS9/FSX) drive you crazy. With respect to take off we focused also on V1 engine cuts and available runway. We used under license and covered by non-disclosure real data for FLEX, derate, balanced takeoff performance etc. I wish there was an open policy so that you guys could compare with the "book" yourselves.Best,Vangelis

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================

Vangelis,Thanks for your attention to detail. It is well appreciated. I noticed you mentioned derate data, but I did not notice any of the available derates in the FMC. TO1, GA1 etc... Was this intentionally left out?Paul

We used under license and covered by non-disclosure real data for FLEX, derate, balanced takeoff performance etc. I wish there was an open policy so that you guys could compare with the "book" yourselves.Best,Vangelis
Any idea why Boeing is so secretive about this plane when few airlines even use them, yet they were open with the 737NG and 744? It seems odd to me.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Vangelis,Thanks for your attention to detail. It is well appreciated. I noticed you mentioned derate data, but I did not notice any of the available derates in the FMC. TO1, GA1 etc... Was this intentionally left out?Paul
You can Derate thrust for takeoff by inputting a FLEX temp and you can adjust the thrust limits as you wish during flight in the 'thrust limits' page. unlike the Boeing there is on TO1, TO2 etc presets.Jay V.