Sign in to follow this  
larshgf

What about this config for FSX

HiIm going to buy a new PC one of these days. Tried to read a little on different fora. What about this config here - will it run my FSX smootly with locked framrates around 30 and autogen to at least 50%?Intel Core i7 920Asus P6T ProfessionalOCZ Gold 3x2GB RAMNivida GTX285Best RegardsLars

If you run lots of addons, there are no sure things with any rig. I run full autogen with my system, but no addons, @ 20 to 30 fps. More away from big cities. Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest Alphahawk3
HiIm going to buy a new PC one of these days. Tried to read a little on different fora. What about this config here - will it run my FSX smootly with locked framrates around 30 and autogen to at least 50%?Intel Core i7 920Asus P6T ProfessionalOCZ Gold 3x2GB RAMNivida GTX285Best RegardsLars
I have a similar rig...Corsair DDR 3 1600 mem 6 gig...not so good GPU 9600GT. I get 30 FPS locked and I have FEX...GEX...FTX....XGraphics, and several good add-on GA aircraft that supposedly put a hit on FPS such as..Sr 22...Bush Hawk XP...and I have no problems...flights are smooth and stutter free. My video card is my bottle neck though....you will not have that problem with what you are getting. I have sliders maxed except...autogen....normal or dense....traffic 50% or close to that as how I am flying...I only fly GA so unless flying out of large airports no need for the big boys in AI. I can get mid to high teens on the ground at FTX's YMML and I think that is good as it is a very detailed complex airport....and takeoffs and landings are smooth and on departure from YMML FPS goes back to 30. I think you will be very happy with the 920 and the video card you have selected. Plus you can clock the crap out of that CPU. Hope this helps you...I am sure others will chime in. But the main thing is you should see good smooth flight and forget what the FPS says...I know we all look at it...I do too...but with the 920 I can get smooth flight at 20 FPS. Good luck. Regards

Thanks for the answers. I would like to bring up a few more issues:1) It looks like an OK configuration of my new PC. Allthough I do not know if I dare do this overclocking thing! It might spoil the computer by overheating??2) What about the importance of the harddisks. I've been reading somewhere that WD VelociRaptors on a SATAII PCIe card can give fine visual resluts. How much does the HD mean in a PC configured for FSX?3) Finally I know that there might be noise problems in the PC. Is it possible to give som advice in order to devoid this problem?/Lars

Thanks for the answers. I would like to bring up a few more issues:1) It looks like an OK configuration of my new PC. Allthough I do not know if I dare do this overclocking thing! It might spoil the computer by overheating??2) What about the importance of the harddisks. I've been reading somewhere that WD VelociRaptors on a SATAII PCIe card can give fine visual resluts. How much does the HD mean in a PC configured for FSX?3) Finally I know that there might be noise problems in the PC. Is it possible to give som advice in order to devoid this problem?/Lars
If you overclock per item 1, noise in item 3 will become more of an issue due to the added heat. 120mm fans turn slower and make less noise than smaller fans. Nick_N discusses harddisks in the "Complete FSX Install and Tuning Guide" in the FSX Forum. The HD is not a performance buster, but I would suggest 7200 rpm with 32MB cache and big enough to leave over half free.

Art

If you overclock per item 1, noise in item 3 will become more of an issue due to the added heat. 120mm fans turn slower and make less noise than smaller fans.
If I overclock I have to use fans smaller than 120 mm?

Guest Nick_N
I edited the list and added a clarification to it in the area of storage.. this is what I posted==============================What the better card and drive solutions provide is help remove the CPU and latency issues from high scenery file reads and that translates to the screen.You do not 'absolutely' need to use a SATA PCIe controller card.. a single VelociRaptor will do a very good job on motherboard ports.. the 2nd choice is the 32MB cache large platter drive which will also work but depending on the workload being requested, amount of data on the drive and the condition of the data in terms of defrag that drive can show scenery load issues under certain criteria. They do a good job for the most part and are a good trade off if money is very tightYou do not 'ABSOLUTELY' need the controller card do get good results in FSX but I would suggest the 300GB VelociRaptor on motherboard SATA as it will provide the best support for the least amount spent.The card will make ANY SATA drive run better in a system and allow CPU 'free' RAID to function. Every CPU cycle freed up goes back to FSX for other things.================================

If I overclock I have to use fans smaller than 120 mm?
No. If you overclock, the cpu fan will run faster/longer to dissipate the heat, more noise. In general, a 120mm case fan will be quieter due to running at a slower speed to move the same amount of air. You asked how to reduce noise.

Art