Sign in to follow this  
GerdD

FSX MD-11 problem with keyboard commands

With my FSX MD-11 I can only define a keyboard commandfor a particular topic just once. After this it works.If I redefine another key for the same topic it does notfunction anymore, neither with the old command nor with thenew one. This behavior is the same if pre-defined FS commandshave been overwritten or new ones defined.In my FS9 MD-11 everything works fine.Does anybody experience something similar or do I havea handling problem?ThanksGerhard Dresch

Gerhard Dresch

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming7 | Intel Core i7-4790k@ 4.4GHz | 16GB GSkill RipjawsX DDR3-2133 | Lian Li B25F | Xigmatek Aegir | Palit GTX 980Ti | Crucial MX300  | Tagan PipeRock 800W | Eizo Foris FS2333 | W7 Pro 64bit

With my FSX MD-11 I can only define a keyboard commandfor a particular topic just once. After this it works.If I redefine another key for the same topic it does notfunction anymore, neither with the old command nor with thenew one. This behavior is the same if pre-defined FS commandshave been overwritten or new ones defined.In my FS9 MD-11 everything works fine.Does anybody experience something similar or do I havea handling problem?ThanksGerhard Dresch
Gerhard,Are you a Vista user? It could be an issue of write permissions that prevent saving the key commands to the MD11Keyboard.ini file (located in {FS}/PMDG folder).

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Gerhard,Are you a Vista user? It could be an issue of write permissions that prevent saving the key commands to the MD11Keyboard.ini file (located in {FS}/PMDG folder).
no, XP Prof. and it worked after the first definition fine, so permissionscannot be an issue. Only if I change this first definition for a particular topic. (i.e. cabin lights) I also cannot say if it

Gerhard Dresch

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming7 | Intel Core i7-4790k@ 4.4GHz | 16GB GSkill RipjawsX DDR3-2133 | Lian Li B25F | Xigmatek Aegir | Palit GTX 980Ti | Crucial MX300  | Tagan PipeRock 800W | Eizo Foris FS2333 | W7 Pro 64bit

If any of the keys you assign via the PMDG keyboard assignment procedure are also assigned in the FSX assignment interface then neither of them will work, make sure the keys really are not assigned in FSX to make sure. The way I check this for certain is to try and assign a key or combo of keys via the FSX interface to one of the command assignments that has no default key or button set (ADF 1 select is the one I tend to use I think) If when I try to add the key combo FSX informs me that the key is freely available for assignment I then hit the cancel button and proceed to use the PMDG keyboard assignment system.

Cheers, Andy.

If any of the keys you assign via the PMDG keyboard assignment procedure are also assigned in the FSX assignment interface then neither of them will work, make sure the keys really are not assigned in FSX to make sure. The way I check this for certain is to try and assign a key or combo of keys via the FSX interface to one of the command assignments that has no default key or button set (ADF 1 select is the one I tend to use I think) If when I try to add the key combo FSX informs me that the key is freely available for assignment I then hit the cancel button and proceed to use the PMDG keyboard assignment system.
Thats what I also assumed but it does not work with free assignments either.It has worked properly also with already used combinations the first time but notwith any further re-definitions, independant if they are free or not.Gerhard Dresch

Gerhard Dresch

If any of the keys you assign via the PMDG keyboard assignment procedure are also assigned in the FSX assignment interface then neither of them will work, make sure the keys really are not assigned in FSX to make sure.
This is not true. You can assign from the PMDG menu any key combination that is already used by FSX. When you assign it you will get a notice that this key combination is assigned by FSX to a particular action. If you proceed with the assignment the PMDG command will work but the FSX will not, because the PMDG keyboard monitoring system will trap this key first and not allow it to reach FSX. So there is no problem in doing so for FSX commands that you never intend use. However, if for example if you assign the "Q" as a PMDG command for incrementing flaps, then pressing "Q" will not mute the sound anymore but will extend flaps (flaps will also be extended if you use the FSX command for flaps - F7 - this is not affected).

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Oh OK thanks for the info, I may have been getting confused with keys assigned in FSUIPC where this is the case i'm pretty certain.

Cheers, Andy.

Michael,have compared the two keyboard ini files of FS9+FSX and saw a complete different method in FS9 (ASCII?).Also made some further tests and found out that problem in FSX always starts ifany part of a defined key is in foreign language. (or with special characters like the "Umlaut")In my case I have a german FSX + keyboard.Perhaps this helps to identify the problem better.Gerhard Dresch

Gerhard Dresch