Sign in to follow this  
Guest shefer

autopilot problems

uninstall??? do you think its a hardware problem??
No I don

Guest Hawg One

I notice this topic drifted off the "climbing stall / VNAV" issue... so let's get back to it:I am having the same problem with VNAV issues. While I did enjoy about 5 of the climbing stalls previously described, I worked my way through that with some practice, good timing, and a keen eye on the flight director.HOWEVER, the VNAV function does not appear to be working at all. Following the tutorial to the letter, several times, the pitch will adjust for airspeed hold no problem, but does not perform an altitude capture or hold. Is there anyone in here who has been SUCCESSFUL with VNAV?Brad K.

Back to the pictures, in fact the last : your airplane is NOT following the flight director (i.e. the visual depiction of autoflight commands).The difference between commanded pitch and actual pitch is ENORMOUS.Check that your controls are NOT overidding the flight control centre which in turn is driven by the autmatic flight director system. In simple English the flight director says "ELEVATOR DOWN" but this is NOT happening. Make sure that under PMDG Options / General / Joystick the elevator/aileron overide tick boxes are empty and the active option is NEVER!Vangelis

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================

Guest ashwath

hi,for all of you having these autopilot problems. try this. i had the same problem, i.e. as soon as i hit autopilot the plane would go into a steep climb, but then low speed protection would kick in and save my plane. i have never stalled. but to prevent this from happening i have found a work around (may not be a solution). arm autothrottle, NAV and PROF while lining up on the runway before takeoff. proceed with your take of as normal and after u start climbing retract flaps and slats as per the flap/slat indicator on the PFD. remember that u are still hand flying the plane. watch the speed bug on the PFD it will show something like 180. keep climbing and at 1500 ft. AGL, the climb thrust will kick in. never mind still hand fly the plane and maintain runway heading. keep climbing. as soon as you reach 3000 ft. AGL, i.e. acceleration altitude, watch your speed bug on the PFD, it would have jumped to 250. now hit autoflight and enjoy!!!!! your plane will never stall.regards,

Guest Hawg One

And what's your experience on altitude capture and hold?

Guest ashwath
And what's your experience on altitude capture and hold?
hi,well...i just set the altitude on the MCP to my cruise altitude. once i hit autoflight after setting up everything as mentioned in my previous post, the plane climbs gradually to the cruise altitude and stays there. give it a try...it works (atleast for me though)...regards,

guys! thx for the detailed overview.i did everything you said: i didnt retract the flaos untill 3000 AGL kept the speed V2=10,after the magenta dot jumped up to the exceleration speed i hit autoflight again and there he goes! up and right into stall!
Had the same problem. Easy solution. You are over rotating on takeoff. When you press autoflight and PROF, in my plane, it is following the degree climb and angle the plane was in when the buttons were pushed. This info can be found in the review on AVSIM, tutorial and in the manual where they clearly state you can not rotate more than 2.5 degrees. If you have set your Vspeeds correctly when you rotate to the proper angle you have to wait and let the plane takeoff. This is one bird you donot yake on the yoke and jump into flight. PMDG MD11 must be flown into flight just like the real thing. Carl Perry

you can rotate more than 2.5 degrees, but it says ROTATE 2.5 DEGREES PER SECOND. Roar

Guest shefer

ok guys!i did evrything you just offered!when i takeoff i try to hand fly the plane following the FD which is set to keep the V2+20.the plane is climbing and evrything is magenta as you see and the ALT on the MCP is set to 6000 acording to the tutrial for example. when i hit autoflight again and the nice lady says "autoflight", the planes leaves the FD and starts to climb even more than 25 degrees! and do not stop at 6000feet! just keep climbing,loosing speed, low speed alerts etc...even when i just hand fly the plane, dial a HDG, pull the ALT knob, it says climb thrust to, lets say, 35000, it flys the heading alright but the speed is very low, in all altitudes, and when it reaches 35000 it keeps climbing like it doesnt obay the VNAV commands. i reinstalled the plane 2 times but that is not the problem. if any1 has abetter idea about what im doing wrong, im be more than delighted to know!

No I don

Guest ashwath
ok guys!i did evrything you just offered!when i takeoff i try to hand fly the plane following the FD which is set to keep the V2+20.the plane is climbing and evrything is magenta as you see and the ALT on the MCP is set to 6000 acording to the tutrial for example. when i hit autoflight again and the nice lady says "autoflight", the planes leaves the FD and starts to climb even more than 25 degrees! and do not stop at 6000feet! just keep climbing,loosing speed, low speed alerts etc...even when i just hand fly the plane, dial a HDG, pull the ALT knob, it says climb thrust to, lets say, 35000, it flys the heading alright but the speed is very low, in all altitudes, and when it reaches 35000 it keeps climbing like it doesnt obay the VNAV commands. i reinstalled the plane 2 times but that is not the problem. if any1 has abetter idea about what im doing wrong, im be more than delighted to know!BTW, my name is Shefer as stated :(
hi,i previously posted on the same thread, in detail, as how you should engage the autoflight with the MD-11. try it out first, since u've tried every other method.regards,

Guest shefer
hi,i previously posted on the same thread, in detail, as how you should engage the autoflight with the MD-11. try it out first, since u've tried every other method.regards,
i did it too. no help.

Guest shefer
Back to the pictures, in fact the last : your airplane is NOT following the flight director (i.e. the visual depiction of autoflight commands).The difference between commanded pitch and actual pitch is ENORMOUS.Check that your controls are NOT overidding the flight control centre which in turn is driven by the autmatic flight director system. In simple English the flight director says "ELEVATOR DOWN" but this is NOT happening. Make sure that under PMDG Options / General / Joystick the elevator/aileron overide tick boxes are empty and the active option is NEVER!Vangelis
THAT DID IT!!!!!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH EMVAOS!!! THAT WAS THE PROBLEM!! NOW EVRYTHING IS OK!!!

Don't no if this is mentioned before, but I think if you use a "saved panel" the weight at that time is also memorised. If you used the load manager you get differend CG settings and you could easyly over rotate. You'll notice this also in the climb even when you put the A/P on and later Profile. When I use the panel setup from start up FS9 and use the load master I never have problems.Gr,John

Don't no if this is mentioned before, but I think if you use a "saved panel" the weight at that time is also memorised. If you used the load manager you get differend CG settings and you could easyly over rotate. You'll notice this also in the climb even when you put the A/P on and later Profile. When I use the panel setup from start up FS9 and use the load master I never have problems.Gr,John
I might be wrong, but (as stated on Tutorial 1), loading a saved panel state doesn

Iñigo Bildarratz