Sign in to follow this  
zachenbacher

Suggestion for the failure module of the MD-11

Hello friends,just want to make a little suggestion for improving the failure module of the wonderful MD-11:For me the core of the failure simulation is the possibility to give it some randomness. I think that's the most realistic way the use the MD-11. Without there wouldn't be the need for in depth knowledge of the systems.But there's one thing that could be improved with nearly no costs but a huge effect: Give us the possibilty to set the random failure rate not in EVENTS/10 hours but in EVENTS/100 hours. See if I do a flight that lasts nearly 10 or more hours and want to use the random failure generator it's sure there WILL BE A FAILURE. That's not realistic.With a random failure logic of EVENT per 100 hours nobody would be disadvantaged and we could simulate a well maintainded ship with a more realistic failure rate of maybe 1 minor event per 100 hoursThxDenis

Most folks don't understand poisson distribution and would complain that failures don't work if they selected 1 in 100 hrs then nothing happened for 200 hours.Conversely, you can safely set it to 1 in 10 hours and there is a significant probability that you could fly 20 hrs without a failure then have two failures in the next 10 hour block. Your suggestion is a good one, but if we actually wanted to be more realistic then the failure rate should be 1 in 100,000 hrs for example.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan,thx for your fast reply.You're right - 1 event per 100 hours would not be a sign of well done maintaince in real life :( .Till now I've only done some patterns around LSZH and an short hopp LSZH LIEE LSZH for testing the systems and me. I think I'll set it to 1/10 hr and we'll see what will happen to me :( By the way I'm absolutely glad everything runs smooth and reliable on my system although it's a little bit outdated. But no OOMs, no CTD and stable FPS on a quite dense and lively sim environment.cuDenis