Sign in to follow this  
Deaf Pilot

Replacing the default aircraft

How would I go about making actual replacements for the default aircraft so that when I load up a mission, the "default" aircraft is a third-party plane of the same model instead of the FSX default? (i.e. replacing the default Mooney with the Carenado Mooney)

Seems like it depends on the mission. If it points to a plane in your SimObjects folder, of course you could change it. You would add the replacement Mooney to the Mooney folder and adjust the aircraft cfg accordingly.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest kwilson

Just had a quick look at the Missions SDK. If you go to the FSX/Missions/Airline Pilot/Amsterdam folder (or whatever folder has the mission you want to change) you will see a saved flight "amsterdam.flt". Note: I've never done this before so I could be completely wrong. If you were to copy that flight to the saved flights folder for FSX, load the flight, change the aircraft to the one you want, save the flight, copy it back to the missions folder you may have changed the plane that the mission uses.If you do try this make sure you backup the original .FLT file.(if you don't understand these instructions then you probably shouldn't be messing about inside the FSX folder :) )

Guest kwilson
Just had a quick look at the Missions SDK. If you go to the FSX/Missions/Airline Pilot/Amsterdam folder (or whatever folder has the mission you want to change) you will see a saved flight "amsterdam.flt". Note: I've never done this before so I could be completely wrong. If you were to copy that flight to the saved flights folder for FSX, load the flight, change the aircraft to the one you want, save the flight, copy it back to the missions folder you may have changed the plane that the mission uses.If you do try this make sure you backup the original .FLT file.(if you don't understand these instructions then you probably shouldn't be messing about inside the FSX folder :) )
OK scratch all that as it won't work (I just tried it and it is no good).Here's what you need to do:1. Go to the FSX/Missions folder and find the folder that holds the mission you want to alter.2. Open the .FLT file with Notepad (right click on the file and select "open with...")3. Find the [sim.0] entry and change the airplane title to the title of the airplane you want to use. (The airplane "title" is found in the aircraft.cfg file which is found in the simobjects/airplanes/[your plane] folder.For example, this is the entry for the Hawaiian Checkride mission:Sim=Mooney Bravo With G1000and here I've changed it to the Cessna 172:Sim=Cessna Skyhawk 172SP Paint14. Save the file (making sure you don't use "save as" as that will add .txt to the end of the file)That's it! I've tested this on the Hawaiian Mooney Flight and changed the plane to the Cessna 172. It loads fine but I haven't flown the flight yet so I don't know whether changing the plane will cause any problems with the logic of the mission.

OK scratch all that as it won't work (I just tried it and it is no good).Here's what you need to do:1. Go to the FSX/Missions folder and find the folder that holds the mission you want to alter.2. Open the .FLT file with Notepad (right click on the file and select "open with...")3. Find the [sim.0] entry and change the airplane title to the title of the airplane you want to use. (The airplane "title" is found in the aircraft.cfg file which is found in the simobjects/airplanes/[your plane] folder.For example, this is the entry for the Hawaiian Checkride mission:Sim=Mooney Bravo With G1000and here I've changed it to the Cessna 172:Sim=Cessna Skyhawk 172SP Paint14. Save the file (making sure you don't use "save as" as that will add .txt to the end of the file)That's it! I've tested this on the Hawaiian Mooney Flight and changed the plane to the Cessna 172. It loads fine but I haven't flown the flight yet so I don't know whether changing the plane will cause any problems with the logic of the mission.
Wow that's great! Thanks - I will try that and get back to you!

When Acceleration came out, I wanted to do the carrier landing with the Piper Cub, so I opened the carrier practice.flt file, changed the[sim.0]Sim=FA-18 Hornet 12to the Piper Cub and also changed[Main]Title=Carrier Practiceto which I added Cub at the end. Saved the file with another name and now I have both the F-18 and a Cub carrier landing mission. Pretty easy to change the aircraft for any mission.Best regards.Luis

Having just done my 1st mission there are some things I would keep in mind.Many of the missions depend upon expected timing of events-changing a plane and its' expected airspeed could spoil the whole thing.With my mission-I sent betas to about 7 people. Two had troubles-turned out they had replaced the default fm with another-changing expected climb rates, airspeeds etc.Some missions probably will be fine-but if any are expecting a certain aircraft performance just a heads up that it could spoil everything.

Having just done my 1st mission there are some things I would keep in mind.Many of the missions depend upon expected timing of events-changing a plane and its' expected airspeed could spoil the whole thing.With my mission-I sent betas to about 7 people. Two had troubles-turned out they had replaced the default fm with another-changing expected climb rates, airspeeds etc.Some missions probably will be fine-but if any are expecting a certain aircraft performance just a heads up that it could spoil everything.
Geofa,I have thought of that and that's why I am only trying to replace the defaults with the same types of aircraft - just third party ones. My main one is the Mooney - can't stand the flight model of it. I am actually going to fire up the sim right now and try out my changes.

Geofa - I tried the San Juan mission with the Beaver X and the Hawaiian Mission with the Carenado Mooney - happy to say they both work perfectly. I think You will be fine as long as you stay within the paremeters of the type of aircraft flown. Next I am going to be trying a couple of King Air missions exchanged with the DA Cheyenne, and the Baron missions swapped to the Eaglesoft Twin Commander. I also cheated and changed out the Learjet in Jet City for the F-14... ;)Thanks for all your help guys!