Sign in to follow this  
Alba

FMC questions

Hello Folks.I am new to the 747-400F and I am having some issues with programming the FMC. I hope someone can give me some pointers. Here's my problem.I am using FSBuild to construct a flight plan from EGPK down to EGKK. This allows me to export the plan into FS9, FSNavigator and also the 747 in .pln format. However, I find that I cannot zoom in close enough to fully complete the STAR at Gatwick. I open the plan in FSNav and this lets me put in the finishing touches to the STAR. However, this formats in .flt format. I also have the current Airac cycle from NavData. So everything should work.Now, when I try to enter the plan into the FMC it tells me that the NGY1K SID out of EGPK is not in the database, yet I can see it in the PMDG SIDs and STARS folder. I have also tried building the plan manually in the FMC as per the manual but again it tells me that the SID waypoints are not in the database.I must not be fully understanding the operation of this. Could someone help out please as to which format the FMC recognises? That is, will the FMC recognise a plan built in FSNav? Also, I don't understand why it,s not finding SIDS and waypoints when I have the current Aiirac.Any help appreciated, thanks.Regards...Ken

FSBuild does not have the current navdata, nor does it use the same navdata as the PMDG aircraft. For this reason, I use FSBuild to create a flight plan for export to both PMDG and ActiveSky but I do not include the terminal procedures. I just put the first fix after the dp and the last fix before the arrival. Then after importing the flightplan into the FMS I add the SID and STAR, which ensures I am using current procedures.I have also found occasional problems enroute using FSBuild, but usually the outdated data only affects terminal procedures.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Dan.Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I will try building my plan again but still unsure how to enter intersections into the FMC if it keeps telling me they are not in the database. I know that is a bit obvious but I am making the assumption that the current airac should have included them in.Anyway, off topic here. Is that an elderly Irish setter in your post avatar? I have a 5 yr old setter boy.Regards...Ken

Hello Folks.I am new to the 747-400F and I am having some issues with programming the FMC. I hope someone can give me some pointers. Here's my problem.I am using FSBuild to construct a flight plan from EGPK down to EGKK. This allows me to export the plan into FS9, FSNavigator and also the 747 in .pln format. However, I find that I cannot zoom in close enough to fully complete the STAR at Gatwick. I open the plan in FSNav and this lets me put in the finishing touches to the STAR. However, this formats in .flt format. I also have the current Airac cycle from NavData. So everything should work.Now, when I try to enter the plan into the FMC it tells me that the NGY1K SID out of EGPK is not in the database, yet I can see it in the PMDG SIDs and STARS folder. I have also tried building the plan manually in the FMC as per the manual but again it tells me that the SID waypoints are not in the database.I must not be fully understanding the operation of this. Could someone help out please as to which format the FMC recognises? That is, will the FMC recognise a plan built in FSNav? Also, I don't understand why it,s not finding SIDS and waypoints when I have the current Aiirac.Any help appreciated, thanks.Regards...Ken
Hi Ken!I use to do in this way;1. Create a flightplan from Vroute [standard free ver.] only Airac (no SID or STAR)2. Export it to FsNav3. Export from FsNav to PMDG4. Choose my dep. rwy and add the proper SID5. In flight at cruise and some 100 Nm from dest. choose my appr. rwy and the proper STAR and TRANS if one.I have the same Airac version in both Vroute and FsNav.I also export the FsNav plan to FS9 because Radar Contact need that, but I then have to delete the airp nameand choose the dep and dest rwy, then it=s ok to export to FS. Radar Contact then have the info I need./ Leffe

Hi Dan.Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I will try building my plan again but still unsure how to enter intersections into the FMC if it keeps telling me they are not in the database. I know that is a bit obvious but I am making the assumption that the current airac should have included them in.Anyway, off topic here. Is that an elderly Irish setter in your post avatar? I have a 5 yr old setter boy.Regards...Ken
Intersections (fixes or waypoints) that the FMS says NOT IN DATABASE might be due to entry error. Are you entering fixes on the RTE page or LEGS page? If on the RTE page be sure VIA is on left (airway) and TO (fix is on right), also if you are trying to enter a fix that is not on an airway it will automatically enter DIRECT on the left but if you try to enter a fix with an airway you will get an error if the fix exists but not on the airway. Sure wish you gave an example, it would be easier to help.You can look in wpNavFIX.txt and do a search with any text editor to see if the fix exists at least once in the data, or you can look in wpNavRTE.txt and search on an airway string such as J80 to see all the fixes that belong to the airway.My friend is one of my golden retrievers, Grace, who is almost 11 yrs old and is loosing a battle with liver cancer. Thanks for asking, she is a very dear friend.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Ken!I use to do in this way;1. Create a flightplan from Vroute [standard free ver.] only Airac (no SID or STAR)2. Export it to FsNav3. Export from FsNav to PMDG4. Choose my dep. rwy and add the proper SID5. In flight at cruise and some 100 Nm from dest. choose my appr. rwy and the proper STAR and TRANS if one.I have the same Airac version in both Vroute and FsNav.I also export the FsNav plan to FS9 because Radar Contact need that, but I then have to delete the airp nameand choose the dep and dest rwy, then it=s ok to export to FS. Radar Contact then have the info I need./ Leffe
Hi Leffe.My version of FsNav does not have PMDG as an option in the Export drop down menu. It shows various other addons and FS2004 but not PMDG. Can you explain further how to do that?ThanksKen

Intersections (fixes or waypoints) that the FMS says NOT IN DATABASE might be due to entry error. Are you entering fixes on the RTE page or LEGS page? If on the RTE page be sure VIA is on left (airway) and TO (fix is on right), also if you are trying to enter a fix that is not on an airway it will automatically enter DIRECT on the left but if you try to enter a fix with an airway you will get an error if the fix exists but not on the airway. Sure wish you gave an example, it would be easier to help.You can look in wpNavFIX.txt and do a search with any text editor to see if the fix exists at least once in the data, or you can look in wpNavRTE.txt and search on an airway string such as J80 to see all the fixes that belong to the airway.My friend is one of my golden retrievers, Grace, who is almost 11 yrs old and is loosing a battle with liver cancer. Thanks for asking, she is a very dear friend.
Dan,here's what's happening. My FSBuild plan uses the NGY1K SID out of EGPK (Prestwick) UK and the WILLO3B STAR into EGKK (London Gatwick). However, the IAP plate shows a more detailed Non Radar Control approach using the WILLO intersection and the Mayfield VOR.I used FsNav to build this into the FSBuild plan after export from FSBuild. I could not figure out how to get it from FsNav into PMDG. I decided to programme the FMC manually but on the RTE page it did not find the NGY1K SID. I then tried to input the SID fixes that a printout from FsNav gave me but it did not find them either. These are TRN02 TRN31 TRN08 andTRN84. I have tried using the 'Find' option in both of the txt files you mention but to no avail. I must admit I have not as yet checked them in FsNav to verify them. The txt file for EGPK is in the PMDG\SIDSTARS folder. That is why I am confused that the FMC is not finding it. Perhaps I am doing something out of sequence.I will try again tomorrow, (2340Z) here<G> and let you know how I get on. I am assuming it's my fault as a newbie. Sorry to hear about Grace. Like Grace, our Bailey is a great companion to us also.Regards...Ken

The terminal procedures generally cannot be entered on the RTE page, this is what the ARR/DEP button is for. Press it, select SID and you will get a screen with SIDs on the left and RNWs on the right. This is where you select the departure, which if you are starting from a blank flight plan is the first piece of the route. Then you go back to the RTE screen and enter the rest of the route from the last fix of the departure to the first fix of the arrival.Many fixes found in terminal procedures are only "local" fixes and are not contained in the global navdata. These are defined within the sidstar file and only have meaning to the FMS when the airport is selected and the procedure is selected from the SIDS or STARS screen.The STAR arrival details that are missing might be included as a transition to the approach, when you select the ILS look for a transition from WILLO. I don't have the sim fired up right now but many locations in Europe have the information arranged such that selection of a STAR, IAP and IAP Transition work together.

Dan Downs KCRP

Okay Dan,I see how it works now. I have printed off the FMC manual so I will have a good read through that today. The tutorials that I have all use ready made routes, so to speak. I will try it again this evening and post back to let you know how I get on.Regards...Ken

Hi Leffe.My version of FsNav does not have PMDG as an option in the Export drop down menu. It shows various other addons and FS2004 but not PMDG. Can you explain further how to do that?ThanksKen
Hi Ken!You

Hi Leffe.Thanks for the link. I will try it out. I'll keep yourself and Dan posted as to my efforts.Regards...Ken

Hello:I use FSBuild to process a plan and then export to the PMDG 737NG FMC and FS9 (for AS6.5 and RC). Here are some techniques I use:In FSB I enter the SID and STAR labels I expect to use. The latest FSB AIRAC for free download is 1308 from fsbuild.com. Sometimes it might be necessary to change the SID or STAR label from xxxx2 to xxxx1 to match FSB's data base. You can see the current database for your airport by selecting your expected runway and using the dropdown in the departure and destination airport boxes to see what is available and then change if necessary the procedure name. Build your plan without exporting to the FMC. In Build Options check build from route-grid table. (This has to be selected for each FSB session.)Look at your route grid table and delete or modify the individual items. As an example if only part of a procedure is runway specific and you do not know which runways you are using until flight time you can delete the procedure runway specific waypoints from the table keeping only the common ones. Now turn on your export options for the PMDG and FS version. Build again and your exports will now come from your edited route grid.In the FMC to load your plan it is best to use index/nav_data/flightplans. You'll get a list of available plans that you can scroll through with next and prev. Use the soft key next to the name you want and it will go into the scratch pad. Now go to RTE page 1. Click on CO_Route and that plan can be loaded,activated, and executed. When you verify these waypoints on the LEGS pages you see whatever procedure waypoints exported. These waypoints do not have to be in the PMDG FMC database because the coordinates are exported with them and they should show up.Don't use the SID/STAR FMC database once you have done this so you do not negate this information. In DEP/ARR you can choose the runway procedure. As an example during arrival I may be taking vectors using the MCP. I'll enter the IAP (right side) from the ARR database and either engage it at some time (moving the entry point to the top of LEGS1) or just use it as situational awareness displayed on the ND to navigate to the intercept course of localizer capture or VOR/NDB procedure.By using this method I insure ATC and the FMC agree on the route even for those portions I use MCP or manual flying. It should also keep any conflicts between the PMDG FMC and FSB databases from conflicting regarding missing waypoints.

Hello Ronzie.Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Sorry for the delay in replying, I have only just gotten back to the Forum. I will re-read and digest all your advice. However, I have another question re. the IRS system not initialising but I will make that another post.Regards...Kenny

FSBuild does not have the current navdata, nor does it use the same navdata as the PMDG aircraft.
Dan, you do realize that you can always get the newest navdata at the FSBuild homepage?Karsten

FSBuild does not have the current navdata, nor does it use the same navdata as the PMDG aircraft.
Dan, you do realize that you can always get the newest navdata at the FSBuild homepage?Karsten
FSBuild does not have the current navdata, nor does it use the same navdata as the PMDG aircraft. For this reason, I use FSBuild to create a flight plan for export to both PMDG and ActiveSky but I do not include the terminal procedures. I just put the first fix after the dp and the last fix before the arrival. Then after importing the flightplan into the FMS I add the SID and STAR, which ensures I am using current procedures.I have also found occasional problems enroute using FSBuild, but usually the outdated data only affects terminal procedures.