Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

HyperThread - FSX - i7 -and YOU

Guest UlfB

You may OC more without having problems with high temps. You get about 10C temp increase with HT enabled.Some applications make use of HT, for example Adobe Photoshop.

Hello,sorry for digging this thread out, but I have some serious issues with my FSX. It stutters heavily even running the default flight with the Trike at Friday Harbor. The Fps jump permanently between 4 and 1xx. Especially while panning fps drop into nearly nothing while some strange graphic errors occur. Looks like the autogen drops from the ceiling. My FSX is setup like told by Nicks guide. The strange thing is, sometimes FSX runs absolutely smooth as if the problem has never been there. The next day it stutters all over again.My SystemIntel Core i7 920@ 3,4 GhzGeforce GTX 275 2GB6 GB RAMWindows 7Help would be appreciated, as I

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest abulaafia
First. make sure you are using either 182.52 or earlier, or 191.07 or later drivers, with the correct version of nHancer for the drivers you are using. nVidia driver versions between 182.52 and 191.07 were notorious for this sort of behavior.With 2GB of VRAM, you might try setting a very high BufferPools setting, like 400000000 (400 million).
or, forget bufferpools and nhancer and try the latest drivers. they work better than nhancer ever has. Also, don't believe the " must run XP" myth. Try Win7 with the latest nvidia drivers only (NO nhancer) and you'll be surprised at the quality and fluency.

Guest Nick_N

no one ever said anyone "must" run XP x64 for FSX.. but the real myth is W7 runs FSX better I love a parade.. full of bandwagons and fanfareBufferpools can be used to smooth flight over large urban areas and thick autogen forests, especially if the user prefers to run that slider a bit high. Its not a cureall and it does not work for all systems/users. It's use, if any, is defined by testing. Nhancer is for visual quality and autogen texture shimmer control. Some people recognize and appreciate high image quality, some would not know good IQ, or OS's perf differences, if it bit them.

Win7 doesn't make FSX run better but I'm sure glad I made the switch from XP. It's simply a much better experience overall. And this is coming from someone that skipped Vista.-Alex

or, forget bufferpools and nhancer and try the latest drivers. they work better than nhancer ever has. Also, don't believe the " must run XP" myth. Try Win7 with the latest nvidia drivers only (NO nhancer) and you'll be surprised at the quality and fluency.
191.07 *is* the latest nvidia driver.I haven't seen a stock nVidia driver yet that would handle AA/AF correctly for either FS9 or FSX, because the drivers are hard-coded with settings defined by Microsoft that override changes made to the AA/AF settings in the nVidia control panel when those games run. "Quality and fluency" (fluidity?) with jaggies all over the place isn't acceptable, and that's why I use nHancer.As Nick points out, large BufferPools settings can, in some but not all cases (particularly with some i7-based systems), help smooth things out when a flood of new scenery objects are being rendered. Fast-panning can drive that kind of rendering deluge. It's trial and error, and depends on mobo, video card, and perhaps even the phase of the moon. :( Bob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest neutronium76
Use the 3GB switch and the USERVA edit in the boot.ini file for >2GB access in 32bit OS Jack.. my tuning list has the procedure in itNote than the USERVA amount may need to be lowered by 128 for the larger memory cards.. as long as no issues are seen such as OOM or graphic spikes the value is fine.. If those 2 conditions are seen then the value needs to be loweredIf you do decided to try XPx64, just a word of warning... do not apply SP2 for x64 from the web based updater... either get a XP x64 SP2 full install disk or slipstream SP2 into a disk before installing the OS. It does not upgrade the HAL correctly on some hardware when the web based installer is used.I also noticed when I took the i7 back up to 4GHz the AM=15 entry made no difference... but down @ 3.6 it did. When it did make a difference it was not like going from a hard stammer to smooth.. it just took out that last tiny amount of intermittent microstutter seen in the Tokyo flight so in that case it may have simply been the scenery complexity @ 3.6GHz. I wanted a apples to apples test between the two systems which is why I rant them both at equal speed/clocks
Hi there. How can I slipsrtem WINx64 SP2 into a multi-install WindowsXPx64 CD/DVD? The installation CD I got for windows XPx64 (could be a DVD - don't know for sure) has an option for installing 5-6 different versions of Windows and one of them is WindowsXPx64 RTM which I am using.Thanks for your response.

First is my system was build to handle 2 main tasks VMware Virtualization (vSphere 4 to be exact) and FSX (as well as some BC2 in SLI):ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 motherboardIntel Core i7 Extreme 975 with slight OC to 3.45 on air (Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler keeps CPU idle around 36C)12GB Corsair Dominator (DD3 at 1805 mHZ)2 - EVGA GTX 580 SC (Black Ops Edition) in SLI (Only one is used with FSX)1200 Watt PC Power and Cooling Power SupplyCreative Labs X-Fi Titanium750 GB Seagate drive dedicated to OS and a few apps750 WD Black Dedicated to FSK500 GB Seagate drive for storageThis system runs everything I though at it at max settings with no issues until I run FSX. FSX would struggle to produce a constant 30FPS even with all Nick_N tuning suggestions. I thought that it was odd but just lived with it and changed misc settings as needed. Over the last couple days I have been playing around with the Affinity Mask setting and HT.I found that with HT off (only 4 cores) and no Affinity Mask settings that it still performed rather horrible. I turned on the Affinity mask and played with the numbers and found that with HT on (all 8 cores) and Affinity mask of 255 that the system now could easily sustain 30 FPS in Boston Logan International and the JFK Airport in New York. I would get an occasional stutter but it was now more than acceptable. I then unlocked the FPS and chose unlimited to see what would happen. I now seen rates in the mid 50's and it on occasion would hit 140 or so, but mid 50's was the average. This was also experiencing some intermittent stutters and a bit more often.I now set the Affinity Mask setting to 15 with HT on and found that FSX would still use all 8 cores but it appeared that most of the load was on only the 4 physical cores as the 4 virtual cores had a very light work load that may have been the OS or one of the couple add ons that I am running. With these settings I experienced the high frame rates as above but the stutters were gone. This seems to have made the simulator much more enjoyable to use. I will keep these settings and play with them some more and report if anything changes.FSX itself is set to UltraHigh on most areas that can be tweaked. I have the traffic dialed down to only 20% as that is plenty of ground and water traffic for my use.Thank You for starting this topic and helping me make my sim experience more enjoyable.At some point I will be experimenting with SSD for FSX to see if I gain any other improvements other than faster load times.

I have been reading these articles for a while now and decided to carry out my own tests in order to make up my own mind as to which was best HT on or off. I have Windows 7 64 bit opereating system.I have HT set to on in the BIOS, Task manager Running with the performance tab visible and FSX running in windowed mode. I have 4 cores 8 processors. First 2 lines in FSX.cfg is[Jobscheduler]Affinitymask=XIf I change the Affintitymask to any value there is no change to core loading as seen on the performance tab. Only cores 0 & 1. Why?If I go into the processes tab of Task Manager look at the FSX process and right click Affinity it always says <All Processors> regardless of the Affinitymask setting.If I manually change the Affinity on the fsx process I get maximum frame rates if I set CPU 2 and 4 to run.I conclude that HT off probably will make sense but my question is why is Affinitymask=X having no effect?Many ThanksDavid Gunton

Edited by DavidCG

Automatically generated messageThis topic has been closed by a moderator.Reason: There is little reason for resurrecting 3 years old threads. Old threads tend to have old information, possibly even misleading. There are enough new ones and if you have a problem, open a thread please.If you disagree with this action, please report this post and a moderator or administrator will evaluate your request.