Sign in to follow this  
mpw8679

Looking for md80 add on

Hey guys. I have been looking at the maddog 2008 add on for fsx. I have the cool sky super 80 right now. I was just wondering how the two planes compare and if it would be worth it to purchase the maddog. My last 2 add ons have been from Captain Sim and I dont feel they are worth the price. Is the Maddog worth the price? Thanks guys.

Matt Wilson

Hey guys. I have been looking at the maddog 2008 add on for fsx. I have the cool sky super 80 right now. I was just wondering how the two planes compare and if it would be worth it to purchase the maddog. My last 2 add ons have been from Captain Sim and I dont feel they are worth the price. Is the Maddog worth the price? Thanks guys.
I had to suck in before I purchased it, but to answer as simply as possible - a thundering great "YES". I have both, and have I have absolutely zero regrets for buying it. Download the manuals and plow through them. Dig into the forums. There are some small functions which have become broken in moving from the 2006 to the 2008 and Pro versions, but as with other developers products, these will get fixed with SP1, or a new .exe file. Most issues (it seems) are either with Vista, 32 and 64-bit, or with getting through that first flight... The user manual I've talked about elsewhere, but the aircraft works exactly per the AOM. The "training" (sic) system and User Manual both "suck" (excuse please - English not furst language you understandt).... when compared to the CoolSky/Flight1 version, but there are some very helpful r/w atp's on the forum who can provide invaluable experience and knowledge on flying the MD80. Once you're past the "hump" (of about 35 items - minimum - and necessary procedures to get airborne) it becomes a pleasure to fly. My first addon (commercial airliner) was the CaptainSim 727, and I was quite happy with it... tough to land, etc.,... until I bought the DreamFleet 727 and discovered all the bad things about the CaptainSim version. The Maddog will do that, too. Hope this helps, and Good Luck!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Speaking from FS9 user's perspective, but yes, Maddog2008 is one heck of a sim. F1 Super80 is good, but the Maddog is as great as the MD11 recently released from another developer. Zero regrets.Pat

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

i can also highly recommend the leonardo md-80. i just got it today and wow, very impressed. it took me a while just to get the engines started haha. if u like highly complex airliners, then this is one to get. one thing though, the vc is very hard on the frames. i only get like 25 in cruise, and in the pmdg md-11 i get like 35. and i fly FSXadam

Well I went ahead and purchased the maddog pro 2008. So far I have mixed reviews. I do like the complexity of the sim but so far that is it. The hit on my frame rate is unreal. Out of all of my airline addons this has the least amount of detail yet it has the lowest frame rate out of all of them. My CS 727 pro and 757 pro are just incredible as far as detail plus they have a virtual cabin and wing views, yet they have better fps. Also in the VC some of the knobs and switches dont work. U have to go to the 2d panel to activate them. As far as sound I think the super 80 sound set is way better. The super 80 sound set does a very good job at giving u the sense of speed that u are traveling by cockpit wind noise, landing gear, rattles in the cockpit on takeoff and landing. I'm going to give it a little more time but these are my first impressions. I'm going to have to give up alot of eye candy to get my frame rates up though. So far not impressed for 65 dollars. Anybody else feel my pain or maybe I'm just expecting too much. Thanks for your opinions guys. Later

Matt Wilson

Well I went ahead and purchased the maddog pro 2008. So far I have mixed reviews. I do like the complexity of the sim but so far that is it. The hit on my frame rate is unreal. Out of all of my airline addons this has the least amount of detail yet it has the lowest frame rate out of all of them. My CS 727 pro and 757 pro are just incredible as far as detail plus they have a virtual cabin and wing views, yet they have better fps. Also in the VC some of the knobs and switches dont work. U have to go to the 2d panel to activate them. As far as sound I think the super 80 sound set is way better. The super 80 sound set does a very good job at giving u the sense of speed that u are traveling by cockpit wind noise, landing gear, rattles in the cockpit on takeoff and landing. I'm going to give it a little more time but these are my first impressions. I'm going to have to give up alot of eye candy to get my frame rates up though. So far not impressed for 65 dollars. Anybody else feel my pain or maybe I'm just expecting too much. Thanks for your opinions guys. Later
Set the performance/detail sliders for the VC (in the Manager) down a notch or two. It controls the AA in the digital readouts. Hardly noticeable, visually, but it can bring the sim to a crawl if it's set too high. My pc is a C2D e6600, running at 25fps locked, Manager set to "normal", and it's perfectly smooth - at Seattle 50% Airl.Traffic, 12% road. +ASA. I run the 8900GTX, with nHancer setup as per Nick Needham. XP, SP2, FSX SP1.Only two switches need to be operated from the 2D cockpit. 1). I assigned TOGA to a control column button; 2). the auto-set click-point for the speed-bugs is not yet included in the VC, and 3). the Bank Angle control was working in the 2006 version - doesn't in the 2008 version, but is being fixed. Are these the switches you were referring to?, as I'm not aware of any others. :( I agree with you on the sound, however both vendors soundsets "are recorded from the full-size aircraft sounds", yet both sound quite different. The Maddog sounds are all individually configurable, but even so - I downloaded the set from the Avsim library - which was different again - and then I purchased the TSS DC9 and MD80 sets. ~8 and 10 Euros each, and this (the MD80 set) is what I'm using now. :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks Paul J. I will try playing with the display settings and see if I can get the FPS to my liking. I was also thinking about getting the super 80 sound set to work with the maddog. Would this work?

Matt Wilson

Thanks Paul J. I will try playing with the display settings and see if I can get the FPS to my liking. I was also thinking about getting the super 80 sound set to work with the maddog. Would this work?
Don't know, but all I did with the three sound sets I tried, was just backup the original sound file to the "downloaded stuff" folder, and then copy in each new sound folder and try it. All worked, so I don't see why not. Why don't we just try it out tonight? :(