Sign in to follow this  
Randh

Keybinds do not seem to work

Hi, all,I just purchased Radar Contact for FSX and began following the steps to start a flight. I started Flight Simulator X, primed it for my short regional flight IFR from JFK to TF Green in Providence, then went into Radar Contact and loaded the same flight. I then clicked "START RC" just before clicking "Start Flight" in FSX.I have the FSUIPC Display opened as expected, and it seems to have the right info as described by the manual:

<JFK>2m/165/11590<NEWES>20m/65/01-CLR by CD on 135052-Wx Brf on 11800

My COM 1 is set to 135.050 and I tried to hit the "1" key as the manual indicated, but it doesn't do anything. In addition, I get no RC chatter; only the default FSX chatter I'm used to hearing. I tried simply using the ATC Menu as I always would, making a Clearance Delivery to JFK, but I have a feeling that doesn't deal with RC at all, from what I read in the docs.Maybe it's because I've had a long week, or maybe I'm just stupid, but how am I supposed to manipulate RC's radio?

Update:I found out it's simply extremely laggy. I hit 1 and it takes a good 10 seconds before it actually proceeds. I often feel like I have to mash the key before it responds, which is very annoying given a lot of ATC directions are quite time sensitive. My computer is an Intel Quad Core with a GeForce GTX 280 and FSX runs very smoothly with high graphics, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with the flight sim. If someone could give me some tips, I'd appreciate it.Thanks. :(

Update:I found out it's simply extremely laggy. I hit 1 and it takes a good 10 seconds before it actually proceeds. I often feel like I have to mash the key before it responds, which is very annoying given a lot of ATC directions are quite time sensitive. My computer is an Intel Quad Core with a GeForce GTX 280 and FSX runs very smoothly with high graphics, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with the flight sim. If someone could give me some tips, I'd appreciate it.Thanks. :(
i bet you have "display text" checked on the options screen in rcjd

i bet you have "display text" checked on the options screen in rcjd
I do not. In that section I have everything except Auto-Reply and Display Text checked.

I do not. In that section I have everything except Auto-Reply and Display Text checked.
why don't you make a log, instructions pinned at the top of the forum.you don't have fs running at high priority, or rc running at low priority, or something wacky like that?any other addons?sound card on the motherboard, or seperatethe log will help me see what is happening on your machine.

Guest mk182

I have the same problem. Sometimes it works but most of the time it doesn't. I press 1 or 2 and absolutely nothing happens. Tried changing the arrangement (ctrl+1, etc) and nothing. I don't know. Its pretty annoying. The only solution I've found is ctrl+shift + K to have f/o take over radio transmissions but even that only actually works maybe 20% of the time. I don't know what to do. I don't know what creating a log would do either as the program itself isn't malfunctioning. But if you think so then I can give it a shot. Its probably something simple but I'm out of ideas.

I have the same problem. Sometimes it works but most of the time it doesn't. I press 1 or 2 and absolutely nothing happens. Tried changing the arrangement (ctrl+1, etc) and nothing. I don't know. Its pretty annoying. The only solution I've found is ctrl+shift + K to have f/o take over radio transmissions but even that only actually works maybe 20% of the time. I don't know what to do. I don't know what creating a log would do either as the program itself isn't malfunctioning. But if you think so then I can give it a shot. Its probably something simple but I'm out of ideas.
if you create a .log for me, there are many things i can look at, to see what is going wrong on your machine.jd

Guest mk182

Thanks for your prompt reply jd. I discovered the solution to the problem about 15 minutes ago but could not find a "DELETE" option on my previous post. I had seen that a lot of people had problems with the first three keys 1, 2, 3... But when I discovered that every other key worked except for 1, and 2 i realized (and felt a like a total moron) that I have special windows hot keys to pre assigned to them. And this whole time I was going through other add-ons and it was windows itself grabbing my key strokes.Thanks again four your response and sorry for wasting your time!! ))) Good product by the way :)

Thanks for your prompt reply jd. I discovered the solution to the problem about 15 minutes ago but could not find a "DELETE" option on my previous post. I had seen that a lot of people had problems with the first three keys 1, 2, 3... But when I discovered that every other key worked except for 1, and 2 i realized (and felt a like a total moron) that I have special windows hot keys to pre assigned to them. And this whole time I was going through other add-ons and it was windows itself grabbing my key strokes.Thanks again four your response and sorry for wasting your time!! ))) Good product by the way :)
Hi There,Could you please explain what you mean by special window hot keys assigned to them?.......................................as I'm experiencing the same problem.NO responce when I press 1 or 2 on the Keyboard...................................or it takes a real long time to respond to me input.Running: Vista32 FSX on Dual core 4gb Ram 8800GTX cardMany Thanks Guys

Hi There,Could you please explain what you mean by special window hot keys assigned to them?.......................................as I'm experiencing the same problem.NO responce when I press 1 or 2 on the Keyboard...................................or it takes a real long time to respond to me input.Running: Vista32 FSX on Dual core 4gb Ram 8800GTX cardMany Thanks Guys
only the 1 and 2 keys? kind of odd, don't you think. i could understand if no keys worked. but just those two. sounds like something else is intercepting them.if you right mouse click any .exe, any shortcut on your machine, you can assign a shortcut key to it. so if i used notepad a lot, i could assign ctrl-alt-1 to it. then whenever i wanted to start notepad, no matter where i was, i might be in the middle of typing a response into a forum in IE (:-)), i can hit ctrl-alt-1 and notepad will launchwhat other add ons do you have?try reassigning them to ctrl-alt-1 and ctrl-alt-2. does that work?make a log, i'll take a look at a couple of other things.jd

only the 1 and 2 keys? kind of odd, don't you think. i could understand if no keys worked. but just those two. sounds like something else is intercepting them.if you right mouse click any .exe, any shortcut on your machine, you can assign a shortcut key to it. so if i used notepad a lot, i could assign ctrl-alt-1 to it. then whenever i wanted to start notepad, no matter where i was, i might be in the middle of typing a response into a forum in IE (:-)), i can hit ctrl-alt-1 and notepad will launchwhat other add ons do you have?try reassigning them to ctrl-alt-1 and ctrl-alt-2. does that work?make a log, i'll take a look at a couple of other things.jd
Hi there,Thanks for that I understand what you mean now ............ (but I've never assigned any shortcuts to any application)Anyhow I will try changing the RC assignments to Ctrl 1/2 and see what happens.. Since this thread I have assigned the Co/Pilot to deal with the Comms and the responce is now Instant.Regards John

Since this thread I have assigned the Co/Pilot to deal with the Comms and the responce is now Instant.
The problem with doing that is that you might not always want to make an instant response. For example if you are instructed to go to a new flight level or turn on a particular heading you will want to initiate that manouevre first before acknowledging, otherwise RC will very quickly tell you off for not complying. :(I have found that it is best to avoid keys used by other applications and I have re-assigned most of the defaults to do this.Iain Smith