Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jack C

The Future of Flightsim

Be it the day in (insert four letter word here) that I play FS through MS Live. FS will become completely dead for me that's for sure. To tell you the truth it doesn't bother me that much. As it stands right now I get up, go to work, fly a Boeing as it is and then come home. I don't need FS to be "as real as it gets". Besides I won't give MS the satisfaction of scr-wing us over. I think all the devs that we have now that have talent should get together and create a new flight sim platform. If you look at it and put all the devs together why do we need flight sim. Planes and panels? Heck we already have outstanding devs like PMDG, LDS, Digital aviation, and some up and commers like Airsimmer. Weather? Hifi sim......should I say anymore? Scenery? Take you pick. FSdreamteam for one, Imaginesim, Fly Tampa and sorry if I don't mention the other talent out there. What else more do we need? That cover just about the whole workings of flight sim doesn't it? With companes such as this working together I could imagine the product they would be able to turn out. Heck we already pay 70-80 bucks for MS piece of junk which we all use for approximately 3 years before upgrading to the next "work of art" (term used VERY loosely). Personally, IF a new platform came out that was perfected to use TODAYS high end computer systems, I would pay 150-200 bucks for it. You may all think that is high but if you think about it, how many of us spent $2000+ to run FS9 or FSX properly. So if you had to spend 150-200 on a new flightsim platform and NOT have to upgrade your system to run it silky smooth you just saved $1750+!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Be it the day in (insert four letter word here) that I play FS through MS Live. FS will become completely dead for me that's for sure. To tell you the truth it doesn't bother me that much. As it stands right now I get up, go to work, fly a Boeing as it is and then come home. I don't need FS to be "as real as it gets". Besides I won't give MS the satisfaction of scr-wing us over. I think all the devs that we have now that have talent should get together and create a new flight sim platform. If you look at it and put all the devs together why do we need flight sim. Planes and panels? Heck we already have outstanding devs like PMDG, LDS, Digital aviation, and some up and commers like Airsimmer. Weather? Hifi sim......should I say anymore? Scenery? Take you pick. FSdreamteam for one, Imaginesim, Fly Tampa and sorry if I don't mention the other talent out there. What else more do we need? That cover just about the whole workings of flight sim doesn't it? With companes such as this working together I could imagine the product they would be able to turn out. Heck we already pay 70-80 bucks for MS piece of junk which we all use for approximately 3 years before upgrading to the next "work of art" (term used VERY loosely). Personally, IF a new platform came out that was perfected to use TODAYS high end computer systems, I would pay 150-200 bucks for it. You may all think that is high but if you think about it, how many of us spent $2000+ to run FS9 or FSX properly. So if you had to spend 150-200 on a new flightsim platform and NOT have to upgrade your system to run it silky smooth you just saved $1750+!
Here here...well said. Maybe someone else will step up to the plate with all the talent we have out there. We can dream, can't we!?!?! ;)

I think I have no problem agreeing with this post. I am glad someone stood up and posted it. It needed to be said.I wish very dearly some dev would come out with a sim loosely based off the MS prototype.But, I do enjoy MS products as I have no choice and am stuck enjoying whatever I get rammed up there.I wonder what FS11 will look like.?Bird strikes maybe.?Maybe we are just MS experiments. Kinda like that big McRib wave over at McDonalds.

Personally I find it sad that Microsoft will no longer be developing Flight SImulator for the PC platform, having been an avid fan since FS version 2.0 on my trusty Commodore 64.However, if Microsoft never produce another sim will it detract from the enjoyment I still get from using FS9? I don't think so. I don't use FSX, no need to IMHO. With the plethora of excellent third-party scenery and aircraft I have in FS9, and running on one of today's top-end PC's, my FS9.9 really rocks and I love it!I believe there are many FS users who, like me, have made the decision to stay with FS9, so I assume they too must be very happy with what they have.Those who have elected to use FSX are, I guess, equally pleased with their simming experience.Now, unless I've missed something here, Microsoft have decided not to continue developing flight simulator on the PC platform... but that doesn't mean we all have to send our copies of FS back <G>. FS9 or FSX are not going to suddenly stop working!Surely, provided the many talented FS developers continue to produce and support new add-ons for both FS9 and FSX our hobby can only continue to improve for the better. At least you won't be worrying about upgrading your hardware in the next year or two simply to be able to run the next version of FS with out-of-the-box default settings. But as and when you do choose to upgrade your hardware your chosen sim will work even better than it does now.As I said previously, I am saddened about the demise of future FS developments, but I'm really happy it didn't happen years ago when we could have been left with FS2002, FS2000, FS98, etc. As good as they were what we have today is amazing in comparison.I wonder how much time each of us has spent (some may even say wasted) complaining about the latest version of FS, tweaking it in a feeble attempt to make it run as smoothly as the previous version, waiting patiently for our favourite add-ons to be upgraded to run with the new sim, etc, etc, etc. Whereas now we can just settle down and enjoy our hobby to the full.Just my two pence worth from the snowy UK

Now, unless I've missed something here, Microsoft have decided not to continue developing flight simulator on the PC platform... but that doesn't mean we all have to send our copies of FS back <G>. FS9 or FSX are not going to suddenly stop working!
FSX will eventually stop working, should Microsoft decide to shut down the FSX activation servers and cease manual activations/reactivations. That is, as long as affected people stick to the legal side of the coin...