Sign in to follow this  
Guest snnib

I tried X Plane

New downloadhttp://www.x-scenery.com/xscontent/downloads/RV-6b1.zipNo changes to the flight model since last time that I can recall. I just tossed in some 3D stuff and some extra instruments to use as feedback for flight model testing. Some things to be aware of:
Somehow, it appears that the flight model did get changed. As I can no longer land! :( I'll pull back power, and bleed off airspeed. As soon as I start dropping to around 70, the nose pitches down, and nothing in the world will bring it back up. Even if the airspeed builds rapidly in a short dive.My real one will just abruptly drop to the runway in a nose high landing configuration if I get below 60 kias into the 55 range. The drop from 60 to 55 is very abrupt, so I make sure that I'm close to the runway...........height wise.As to the gauges, the fuel pressure gauge isn't working. The engine still needs less sound when the throttle is pulled back; and more right rudder is required on the takeoff roll and climbout. The Van's gauges are a nice touch, though. :)L.Adamson

Somehow, it appears that the flight model did get changed. As I can no longer land! :( I'll pull back power, and bleed off airspeed. As soon as I start dropping to around 70, the nose pitches down, and nothing in the world will bring it back up. Even if the airspeed builds rapidly in a short dive.My real one will just abruptly drop to the runway in a nose high landing configuration if I get below 60 kias into the 55 range. The drop from 60 to 55 is very abrupt, so I make sure that I'm close to the runway...........height wise.As to the gauges, the fuel pressure gauge isn't working. The engine still needs less sound when the throttle is pulled back; and more right rudder is required on the takeoff roll and climbout. The Van's gauges are a nice touch, though. :)L.Adamson
I second that. Once you get below a certain airspeed the nose will drop. Once you are past this point, it feels as if the cables to the elevator broke. The plane will start a nosedive, and even at 150 knots nothing will bring the nose back up...As there was no reply to Larry

Not over at all. My father has had heart surgery and my time is needed during his slow recovery, I have kids graduating high school, other kids competing in national level sports (i.e. I'm traveling) and I'll be in France for an x-plane conference in two weeks and I'm working on a very time-intensive contract for x-plane work....it just kind of all hit at once unfortunately. I'll get back to this whenever these other priorities are over. I apologize for the lack of comment since Larry's post. It seems I probably did make some changes and didn't remember them...I will certainly read over the comments and get back to where I was. Thanks so much for the input.

Not over at all. My father has had heart surgery and my time is needed during his slow recovery, I have kids graduating high school, other kids competing in national level sports (i.e. I'm traveling) and I'll be in France for an x-plane conference in two weeks and I'm working on a very time-intensive contract for x-plane work....it just kind of all hit at once unfortunately. I'll get back to this whenever these other priorities are over. I apologize for the lack of comment since Larry's post. It seems I probably did make some changes and didn't remember them...I will certainly read over the comments and get back to where I was. Thanks so much for the input.
Thanks for the update, and I wish everyone well! No hurry; I took 12 years to build the plane as it was... :( L.Adamson

Hello everyone.I want to thank the original creator, tkyler, for this bird, it's a lot of fun.Find it here:http://www.x-scenery.com/xscontent/downloads/RV-6b1.zipI had the opportunity to look at the RV-6b1.zip?, and I was able to find the reason why it tends to drop with low power input, or at least a way around it. I am not sure how this affects other flight characteristics but it will solve the landing issue. RVs are not very graceful at low power high AOAs in general, but with a bit of power you can normally get a decent landing.Here is some information that may help you enjoy this otherwise really fun model.Open your latest RV6 download, in "Plane-Maker.exe"Go to:File>Open "your .acf file"Standard>Engine specs > LocationChange Min. pitch from -XX to +10, play with the values in between, I ended up with +10, but around 0-1 may seem more realistic to some of you.I cannot be of any help beyond this modification, because I did not spend much time with XPlane lately, and I am not very familiar with details, but you can post here and I am sure others can help. If you need pics for this explanation, post here. Thanks again, to all that contributed. TV

Hello everyone.I had the opportunity to look at the RV-6b1.zip?, and I was able to find the reason why it tends to drop with low power input, or at least a way around it. I am not sure how this affects other flight characteristics but it will solve the landing issue. RVs are not very graceful at low power high AOAs in general, but with a bit of power you can normally get a decent landing.Here is some information that may help you enjoy this otherwise really fun model.
Thanks, I'll try the mod. It started with the last revision.I land this plane two ways. Either a steep approach with half flaps, and a well timed roundout/flare; or a bit of power as mentioned. It has a constant speed prop which bleeds speed fast. When the airspeed indicator gets down to 60 kias, I either need to be close to the runway, or carry some power. At the 60 kias point, it quickly drops to 55 and below. Unlike a Cessna 172, if you don't watch the airspeed, it will just drop out from underneath you. You are right................not too graceful at that point! :( L.Adamson

OK...after a viciously busy 6 weeks outside of x-plane, I have scraped together enough of the RV6 for this crew to continue flight model testing. I DO intend to continue this RV out into low-cost (15.00 or less) payware with a full 3D cockpit so this is as much as I'm going to give out to the public for free..wheels don't roll, front wheel doesn't turn, etc.That being said, there is quite a bit more here than the previous version. Moving control surfaces..some new verniers in the cockpit and an updated paint scheme including main gear fairings AND.....I had to take some liberties on your wheel pants paint scheme Larry...sorry, I just didn't know what you were going to do.Since the last version, I only adjusted the flight model to not pitch down so much with the flaps. I would like to begin soliciting input again on the flight model in an iterative manner. The 3D model will stay this way from now on; therefore, any subsequent updates will only be a single *.acf file which is to replace the existing "rv6.acf" included in the download below. Here's the linkhttp://www.x-scenery.com/xscontent/downloads/RV6-b2.zip

That being said, there is quite a bit more here than the previous version. Moving control surfaces..some new verniers in the cockpit and an updated paint scheme including main gear fairings AND.....I had to take some liberties on your wheel pants paint scheme Larry...sorry, I just didn't know what you were going to do.
It will be something along those lines...................wheelpants wise. Just have to see how much yellow paint I've got left. L.Adamson

Hi, Tkyler and everyone.Thank you, for the really fun bird.It flies / feels more like an Extra 300 Special than any sim birds I ran across. I am still trying to get a better spin with it.Lots of fun.Here is some feed back, on ver. b1, or at least some things that I changed to make it more compatible with my hardware, and I hope it helps you, and others that may want to try these mods.One thing you may want to look at is the Left bottom Elevator, it seems to be transparent when you look at it form the bottom.RV6b1 TKyler fixes / mods Using "Plane-Maker.exe"LandingStandard>Engine Specs>Location Min Pitch +10, from -4Standard>Weight & Balance, Use own Radii>Radius> Pitch 6.90, Yaw 6.20, Roll 3.50.Fix Left turning tendency, Cruise / max speed / 175 Kts Straight and Level Standard>Control Geometry>Trim &Speed> Aileron>Trim Tab adjust +0.012 Was 0.0PanelReplaced Turn and Bank with a TC and HI with the HSIIn XP9.21 RC2 SettingsRoll, Pitch response adjust.Settings>Controls/ Joystick> Center/ All to the right except Pitch at 30% Null at 40%I wanted to find out if there is an easy way to modify the Panel to fit an HSI in the location where the HI is now? Thanks again for a fun bird. TV