Sign in to follow this  
ABE

Scenery.cfg Dilemma

I am very familiar with Scenery.cfg. I am aware of the locations of the file within FSX folder and C:\docs...\Users\app..\Ms\FSX.I began getting an error :Local scenery directory(scenery\cities\reno\scenery) in scenery Area 115 not found. Click ok to contiue.... The thing is I do not have such thing in that LOCATION which is true, BUT Reno is displayed in the Scenery setup within the booted FSX menu, checked off. When I try to UNcheck it, it would not allow me saying, it is NEEDED.Appreciate any help. Thanks.Abe

I am very familiar with Scenery.cfg. I am aware of the locations of the file within FSX folder and C:\docs...\Users\app..\Ms\FSX.I began getting an error :Local scenery directory(scenery\cities\reno\scenery) in scenery Area 115 not found. Click ok to contiue.... The thing is I do not have such thing in that LOCATION which is true, BUT Reno is displayed in the Scenery setup within the booted FSX menu, checked off. When I try to UNcheck it, it would not allow me saying, it is NEEDED.Appreciate any help. Thanks.Abe
That's an odd fault you have there. Did you try to go to the scenery library ingame and delete a Reno entry there?Have you taken a look at the folder where FS says it expects

Guest firehawk44
Reno is a default airport required by FSX. It looks like you somehow deleted Reno. I would insert your FSX disk and do a repair (ugh!).Jim

Reno is a default airport required by FSX. It looks like you somehow deleted Reno. I would insert your FSX disk and do a repair (ugh!).Jim
Beware! Doing a 'repair' will require you to reinstall SP2 or Acceleration as well as the SDK's, I believe.I would leave that option for the last step, all elase failed.Someone else had the same problem a week or so ago. I don't recall if I saw theposts here or on another forum ( SimViation? ) but it was resolved I believe.A long time back I had a similar problem buy forget exactly how I resolved it. I doknow that I did NOT resort to a 'repair' or re-install.Try renaming your scenery.cfg file and let FSX build a new one.Worst case is you will have to go through the 'activate' scenery processagain for any addon scenery you have installed. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Beware! Doing a 'repair' will require you to reinstall SP2 or Acceleration as well as the SDK's, I believe.//// - //Try renaming your scenery.cfg file and let FSX build a new one.Worst case is you will have to go through the 'activate' scenery processagain for any addon scenery you have installed. Paul
If I remember correctly uou will get the version back you had (SP2 or Acceleration) when you reinstall. Because you only get a new CFG not new dll's nor the FS core. It will return to the default state. As FS did after installing SP2 or Acceleration. What you "lose"is your settings, like I realism settings, sound etc. It's not so dramatic as it looks. :( But indeed trying to change the scenery cfg could be the solution, thats why I suggest to alter or remove the entry there. (who wants to fly to Reno anayway :( )

I don't have acceleration, but I think maybe that Reno scenery is added with Accel?Haven't tried this, but it might be work to simply create the folders (including the scenery subfolder) without any files in it and then you could remove it using the scenery library function in FSX.Maybe some one can confirm that the cities\reno is part of accel and you could just try to reinstall that, not the whole FSX.AFAIK, all the scenery within "cities" is photoscenery and landmark objects that MS designed for certain airports. scott s..

Guest firehawk44
Beware! Doing a 'repair' will require you to reinstall SP2 or Acceleration as well as the SDK's, I believe.I would leave that option for the last step, all elase failed.Someone else had the same problem a week or so ago. I don't recall if I saw theposts here or on another forum ( SimViation? ) but it was resolved I believe.A long time back I had a similar problem buy forget exactly how I resolved it. I doknow that I did NOT resort to a 'repair' or re-install.Try renaming your scenery.cfg file and let FSX build a new one.Worst case is you will have to go through the 'activate' scenery processagain for any addon scenery you have installed. Paul
Paul, You cannot rebuild a scenery.cfg by deleting or renaming it and restarting FSX. You can only delete the FSX.cfg and let it rebuild itself. You can check the scenery.cfg for area/layers corruption (i.e., not in sequence) but that's about it. Doing a "repair" as I suggested above is really not that difficult and time-consuming. I mean, uninstalling and reinstalling is the worst option. If he has to reinstall SP1/SP2, sobeit. At least he won't have to reinstall any addons.Jim

Thanks guys for ALL the responses.Last night, I did what I thought would fix the annoying reminderof FSX. Since nothing was affected running FSX smoothly. It was more like a COSMETIC fixing.Joost, my idea was like yours almost. I use ADDON SCENERY and SCENERY\CITIES\....to put my addon scenery files. So I created 2 DUMMY folders Reno and Berlin, stuffed them with empty SCENERY and TEXTURE folders. Now I have peace and quiet booting up FSX. :( I know I should dig deeper and fix what really is the cause. You guys have great ideas, I'll try them later. Meanwhile, since no harm is done and no more annoying ERRORS from FSX, I'll live with it.Thanks again, guys. Appreciate the help as always.Abe

Abe,I don't know if this plays a factor (apologizes to the file's author if I am wrong), but I think I started having this same error message appear after I used the file "AGExcl_5x" to clear trees around airport runways. Since, the issue doesn't see to affect FSX or the areas I fly in (around New England), I haven't really worried about it. Did you by chance use this file?John

10850K, MSI Unify Z490, 32gb G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 CL16, MSI 5700 XT 8gb, Nochua NH-U12a, WD 500gb Black SSD (OS- Windows 10 Pro), Samsung 2tb Evo plus SSD (games), Superflower 850 watts power supply

Abe,I don't know if this plays a factor (apologizes to the file's author if I am wrong), but I think I started having this same error message appear after I used the file "AGExcl_5x" to clear trees around airport runways. Since, the issue doesn't see to affect FSX or the areas I fly in (around New England), I haven't really worried about it. Did you by chance use this file?John
John,Even though I used an 'EXCL' file a long time ago, mostly in FS2004, I do not remember ever using "AGExcl_5x" specifically. The way FSX is built with all those idiosincrasies, I wouldn't be surprised THAT would affect some scenery files. Even though I FAKED overcoming the annoyance of FSX error prompt, the solution was not entirely completed. Maybe somebody would address that in the future.Abe