Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest steve31000

Your thoughts please on a 'near miss' video I filmed yesterday

Yesterday I went down to London City Airport to take a look at planes taking off and landing. I was particularly curious after last weeks crash landing by a British Airways flight which you may have read about in the news. Apparantly pilots generally make a particularly hard landing as the runway is short and surrounded by water. Anyway, I had my video camera with me and was filming a British Airways BAE-146 on the runway ready to take off. The pilot waited a moment and then powered up the engines to initiate a take-off when suddenly he seems to hit the breaks and pulls off the runway narrowly escaping a Swiss Air BAE-146 landing on top of him. Very dodgy looking.It seemed a very close call and an error I imagine on the part of air traffic control. Have you seen anything like this before? Does this happen often? Let me know what you think. The link to my video is

or search for steve31000 on youtube.CheersSteve

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Fortunately, the BA pilot was able to turn off onto the taxiway to get out of the way of the Swiss Air plane. I would think it would be just as likely that the pilot could be in error in this situation. I wouldn't assume it was just the tower's fault. Fortunately, it all ended well.

The pilot waited a moment and then powered up the engines to initiate a take-off when suddenly he seems to hit the breaks and pulls off the runway narrowly escaping a Swiss Air BAE-146 landing on top of him. Very dodgy looking.
Nice video. It's hard to tell though whether he was actually initiating a takeoff roll, or if he was hastily responding to ATC telling him to get the h*ll off the runway.Either way I reckon the Swissair plane would have had time for a go-around if the BA plane hadn't made it off in time. Probably not without violating the noise restrictions at the airport though. :)Colin

I see things like that happen at KDCA (Washington Reagan National) all the time... a plane will be cleared for take-off, taxi into position, then immediately taxi off because of an incoming aircraft on final. With the rapid pace of arrivals at DCA, it happens very frequently.I'm surprised that in this situation, the Swiss aircraft wasn't told to go around (what happens most of the time) rather than to continue the approach. What was the traffic situation like at LCY at the time? Was it a high-volume traffic period?Most of the time, in these types of instances, it boils down to bad tower control because the controller thinks that there is sufficient time for the departing aircraft to become airborne before the incoming aircraft lands. Sometimes, though, it is the pilot's fault... they are told "no delay on the take-off roll", but they drag their heels.In this situation, it looks to be the tower controller's responsibility.

I'm surprised that in this situation, the Swiss aircraft wasn't told to go around (what happens most of the time) rather than to continue the approach. What was the traffic situation like at LCY at the time? Was it a high-volume traffic period?
Thank you for your comments. LCY was quite busy at the time this happened with aircraft taking off and landing every few minutes.Steve

Near Miss? It was more expensive than it was dangerous . I've had closer calls at uncontrolled fields! It was very interesting, however. Controller needs to keep drinking that free coffee.