Sign in to follow this  
Plainplane

Need Help with Multiple Monitor Setup

Guest highflight1985

Hm. I think I like the 2-graphics card approach better. You get the wider FOV with no distortion of any kind. (Sigh) Now if only you could get 3 graphics cards into 1 computer, you could run each view on a separate card. But, I think the closest we could get to that is to network multiple computers together and use that software (forget the name of it at the moment) that Pete Dowson made...Wide something... Anyway, as if I had that kind of money. :( Thanks for the info.

Hm. I think I like the 2-graphics card approach better. You get the wider FOV with no distortion of any kind. (Sigh) Now if only you could get 3 graphics cards into 1 computer, you could run each view on a separate card. But, I think the closest we could get to that is to network multiple computers together and use that software (forget the name of it at the moment) that Pete Dowson made...Wide something... Anyway, as if I had that kind of money. :( Thanks for the info.
highflight- I believe that there are such things as triple GPU systems. But the price is lowered performance with each mon added. My ancient 6 year old system drives triple mons adequately, so a newer machine should be able to cope with 4 mons. (I speak for FS9) I don't see any difference in performance between the 2 monitors on the AGP card and the third mon on the PCI card.Alex Reid

Guest paulie

January, I have a system similar to you, I think. I am trying to run 3 monitors off of two 8900GTX graphic cards. I must turn SLI mode off to un more than two. I have found it works great for most programs, but when FSX loads, it stays on for about 3 seconds and then the display driver stops (FSX still running.) The center 26inch monitor is running at 1920x1200 and the side two 19inch monitors at 1680x1050. The drivers are Nvida's latest 182.08.Do you have to change any of the 3D settings or PhysX to make it run correctly?Any other suggestions?Thanks

I've got four monitors connected to two GTX 280 graphics cards. I run FS9 and FSX in SLI mode without any complications. I use nHancer to manage the SLI configuration, it's easy to use and so far I haven't been able to find any nVidia software which will do a better job. Every system is unique, of course, so what works for me won't necessarily work for you.Here's a shot of what you can expect when you patch your monitors directly into the cards. The wings look kind of funny pointing forward, but that is a greater than 180 degree field of view. I don't think you can do that with the TH2Go gear without considerable distortion.

Mike Beckwith

January, I have a system similar to you, I think. I am trying to run 3 monitors off of two 8900GTX graphic cards. I must turn SLI mode off to un more than two. I have found it works great for most programs, but when FSX loads, it stays on for about 3 seconds and then the display driver stops (FSX still running.) The center 26inch monitor is running at 1920x1200 and the side two 19inch monitors at 1680x1050. The drivers are Nvida's latest 182.08.Do you have to change any of the 3D settings or PhysX to make it run correctly?Any other suggestions?Thanks
paulie- your query is way beyond my level of competence!!!! My experience is really only with FS9 on a 6 year old 'puter.Anyone else care to help?Alex Reid

Guest paulie

January, thanks for your reply..Highmike, I'm impressed. I will have to look into "nHancer". Maybe that is my answer...

Paulie, try turning your resolutions down to the minimum possible both in windows and fsx, (before starting fsx) and then see if all is ok. If so then turn up the resolutions incrementally until it stops again, then return to the highest, but workable res.

Keith Sandford.

Highflight- Noel in Brisbane is using the TH2Go hardware which takes View Fwd and stretches it across 3 monitors. This method uses a single GPU and with the digital version you can compensate nicely for the bezel separation to create what seems to be a single image. The limitation is that this Field of View is only 45

----------I believe Matrox recommends identical monitors with TH2Go. If you fly Virtual cockpit, TH2Go is the solution but you get only View Fwd spread across the monitors. Zooming out can increase the Field of View from 45

Tank you Alex. Usually I use 2D panel. I'm going to try the triple monitor with sync. views. How sould I set up them in Desktop properties ? TanksAbrupto
-------------Place the monitors side by side with bezel side edges touching the whole way. The outer monitors should be angled toward you about 30-40

-------------Place the monitors side by side with bezel side edges touching the whole way. The outer monitors should be angled toward you about 30-40

Guest SimonE
-------------Synching the views into what your eyes/brain see as a very wide single view is done in Panel Config in FS9. In FSX I'm told, it is done in Config? If you are using FSX we will need some help from those folks- I have no experience with it. Synching is not that difficult but it's a topic for another day. Safe flight! Let us know when you've got this far.Alex Reid
Does anyone have any more info on how to achieve this in FSX?I have setup a high-spec machine (quad core x64, 8GB ram, 2x GTS 250) and want to drive a pair of 46" LCD TVs. Each monitor is powered by its own GTS250 (have no SLI on the motherboard) via a simple extended desktop display configuration. Configuring FSX up to the point of being able to view a 1920x1080 on each screen is fine, and the machine is capable of doing so at the required level of detail with little problem.The problem lies in the angles at which the world is viewed. The reason I have chosen the setup to include 2 46" screens is to simulate a 737 cockpit, but the views provided by default don't facilitate this. I know that they will have to be adjusted to compensate for the angle at which the TVs meet, but I've been unable to find Panel Config in FSX in order to do this.Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Guest bizybeaver
----------I believe Matrox recommends identical monitors with TH2Go. If you fly Virtual cockpit, TH2Go is the solution but you get only View Fwd spread across the monitors. Zooming out can increase the Field of View from 45

OK, I'm new to this, but I have 3 monitors. Been using it myself for work applications. Finally getting around to setting this up for FSX. I'm not using the TH2Go, can you elaborate on how to get the view to LFwd, RFwd etc? I understand on how to make a new window, undock it and slide it to the other monitor, but I can't seem to get the view to go to LFwd, etc and stick and match the Forward view. It's not really seamless, When I use the Numberpad, I get some sort of LFwd view but it doesn't seem to "sync" up to the Forward view if that makes sense?Thanks!
I'm only familiar with FS9. To "stick" or lock a secondary view you need to key Control plus the num key- otherwise the view will revert back. Check your Assignments for the keystrokes for Look Forward Left (and Right). (In FS9 Assignments, if you change Look Forward Left- "Shift +Num 7" to "Control + Num 7", you only have to hit num 7 to set and lock the view. And similar for Look Forward Right. Of course Num Lock must be on.)In FSX I believe that "synching" the views is done in Config- Camera settings. That's all I can tell you- perhaps someone else can advise. In FS9, it is done in Panel Config. There is a line- VIEW_FORWARD_RIGHT(left)_DIR=x,y,z. I would expect there is an equivalent in FSX.The x value adjusts the height of the secondary view so you can synch it to main view. (You can also drag the bottom of the view up or down to align the horizons.) y is twist which is normally not needed. z is the amount of view shift needed to adjust for width of the bezels. It is expressed in degrees and typically two narrow frame bezels requires a shift of 5-6