Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poncho

How to get wind direction arrow in glass panels?

I'm talking about FSX default airliners. For example the A321 panel shows the wind direction in the panel. On the 737 and 747 they just have a degree number telling you where the wind is coming from. The arrow is much better and more realistic.Is there a way or anything in the CFG file etc that will change that direction number to an arrow?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

No. You would have to edit the actual gauge script to do that. It isn't something that's particularly difficult, but it does require quite a bit of study and practice to get working...That's why there is a dedicated forum here (as well as quite a few other websites) specifically for "Aircraft and Panel Design" questions.

I'm talking about FSX default airliners. For example the A321 panel shows the wind direction in the panel. On the 737 and 747 they just have a degree number telling you where the wind is coming from. The arrow is much better and more realistic.Is there a way or anything in the CFG file etc that will change that direction number to an arrow?
Well, for those with XML gauges for the MFD, you can add code to display the speed, direction and arrow.Looking at the 737-800 I see code there already to display an arrow along with the readouts in the MFDXML code.Here is the code I used to add these functions to the CRJ-700 MFD. Note that this is the FSX XML schema.Those XML gauges using the FS9 schema would need a different format, such as the default 747-400.Along with the code, you also need to add a BMP for the arrow.
	  <Element id="Wind Direction Readout">		 <FloatPosition>175.000,71.000</FloatPosition>		<GaugeText id="Wind Direction Readout">		  <Bold>True</Bold>		  <Bright>True</Bright>		  <FontColor>0x01E00D</FontColor>		  <FontFace>Arial</FontFace>		  <FontHeight>12</FontHeight>		  <GaugeString>%((A:Ambient Wind Direction,degrees) (A:MAGVAR, degrees) - s0 (A:Ambient Wind Velocity,knots) 0 >)%{if}%(l0)%!03d!%{else}---%{end}</GaugeString>		  <HorizontalAlign>RIGHT</HorizontalAlign>		  <Size>20,14</Size>		  <Transparent>True</Transparent>		</GaugeText>	  </Element>	  <Element id="Wind Speed Readout">		<FloatPosition>195.000,71.000</FloatPosition>		<GaugeText id="Wind Speed Readout">		  <Bold>True</Bold>		  <Bright>True</Bright>		  <FontColor>0x01E00D</FontColor>		  <FontFace>Arial</FontFace>		  <FontHeight>12</FontHeight>		  <GaugeString>*/%((A:Ambient Wind Velocity,knots) s0 0 >)%{if}%(l0)%!3d!%{else}---%{end}</GaugeString>		  <HorizontalAlign>LEFT</HorizontalAlign>		  <Size>30,14</Size>		  <Transparent>True</Transparent>		</GaugeText>	  </Element>	  <Element id="Wind Direction Arrow">		<FloatPosition>250.000,80.000</FloatPosition>		<Image id="Image" Name="mfd_arrow_wind_direction.bmp">		  <Transparent>True</Transparent>		  <Bright>True</Bright>		  <Axis>14.141,13.907</Axis>		</Image>		<Rotation id="Rotation">		  <PointsTo>NORTH</PointsTo>		  <Expression id="Expression">			<script>(A:Ambient Wind Direction,degrees) (A:Plane heading degrees gyro,degrees) - (A:MAGVAR,degrees) - 180 + dgrd</Script>		  </Expression>		</Rotation>	  </Element>

I also used the above code, with different FloatPosition data to add this feature to the G1000 PFD.You really need to know how to interpret XML code and understand the particularXML gauge in question so that you insert the code changes in the appropriate place. Paul

I quite deliberately did not post any code or script in this forum, hoping that the OP would ask again in the dedicated forum... ;)BTW, you don't really need a bitmap for the arrow. In fact it's really simple to provide vector drawing points...XML: Vector Drawing and Animation http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/yabb/Y...?num=1213562472

My apologies for posting in the wrong forum. I thought it might be a FSX specific question and answer, and I'm still learning whats all available here. Tons of info for a newb to absorb.Thanks for the help.