Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

State of the Hobby Survey Discussion

I just hope Flight lives up to the hype, because if it flops... what then? :(

Good morning Tom:Sure do hate to show my ignorance, but I have to tuck my tail between my legs and ask: how do I open this file? I thought the instructions said that it could be opened in notepad or other text type programs, but I have tried notepad, wordpad, word, and even Excel as a spreadsheet, but the results are not legiable relative to a survey. I am afraid the ".php" format is new to me.Respectfully:RTH

We have posted the State of the Hobby survey and the results are starting to roll in. You can view those result here:http://www.avsim.com/poll/stats.php?sid=33How do you interpret the results? What does it tell you about the future of our hobby?

Good morning Tom:Sure do hate to show my ignorance, but I have to tuck my tail between my legs and ask: how do I open this file? I thought the instructions said that it could be opened in notepad or other text type programs, but I have tried notepad, wordpad, word, and even Excel as a spreadsheet, but the results are not legiable relative to a survey. I am afraid the ".php" format is new to me.Respectfully:RTH
The server isn't running the php file like it should be... something is broken, and until its fixed we can't vote :(

The question I see here is not "which version of flight sim do you use", it's "what's the next simulator going to look like, who's going to be designing it, and for which platform."Like it or not, FSX is going to win the current "popularity contest", for the time being, anyway...that's the sim we'll all be using and designing for, but for how long? That's just the way technology works, there's no getting around it. To even have this discussion, I feel, is fruitless. How many people do you know who still run DOS games on their machines? How many people do you know who even know how to use DOS (I'm dating myself here)? You see my point here, don't you?
I would beg to differ that we'll be forced to use FSX. I have all that I need at this point to fly FS9 for however long I want. I have the few add-ons I like and use. To use an analogy. Say you have a nice 72 Porsche Carrera that you drive. It runs great ! it's in good shape and everything works. Who or how would I be forced to get the new model. I don't upgrade it with all the latest gear. It is fine the way it is it does everything I need.Oh and yes I still use DOS command lines all the time. Some simple things are just easier faster and better suited for specific purposes.

I am a dedicated FS9 user. After 7 years since the release FS9, I have a computer that can run FS9 with everything maxed out. Any FS9 payware is no match for my present computer. I would someday love to switch over to FSX or MSF but I'm afraid it will be another seven year wait.

We have posted the State of the Hobby survey and the results are starting to roll in. You can view those result here:http://www.avsim.com...tats.php?sid=33How do you interpret the results? What does it tell you about the future of our hobby?
Hi Tom,When I click to see the survey, I got a save "stats.php" dialogue. The glitch is back.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

This is an old survey that was removed. We are fixing the download issue. If you wish to see current surveys, visit:http://surveys.avsim.net/index.phpwhich is also linked from our homepage, top banner area, under "Survey's."

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

Blooper or not?

Question of Stuffed .........

Is that a slip or what????

Retired USAF FSX and not giving into buy this and That. Enjoy the hobby and skill involved..

As usual I'm late to the party, this thread seems to be about done. I'll go ahead and post just in case someone else looks in some day.

I think I am one of those who is a little pessimistic about the future of "serious" flight sims. Let's face it we've always been a niche market. I would be curious to see the numbers on how many current FSX users obtained FSX as their first flightsim versus the number who moved up from a previous version. I think if FSX was my first sim the learning curve might be so steep that I'd lose interest before I really got the hang of it. How many people with a passing interest in aviation are going to want to spend 10 minutes setting up a flight before they even start taxiing? I remember trying to show FS9 to my nephews, their eyes were glazed over before I even got in the air, and when I did their attitude was "now what?" It doesn't surprise me that MS felt the need to include adventures and missions in FSX, and now people are developing weapons for it.

I think that is why MS went the direction they did with FLIGHT. Maybe some of the new people that use FLIGHT will become interested in other sims. I just feel that there's a small market as far as "new blood" is concerned.