Sign in to follow this  
betelgeuse

Placing object

I'm using Rwy12 to place objects for a new FS9 scenery. It uses libraries to source files. However, I have a .bgl file which is not in any of the libraries. I know how to make an .xml from this .bgl and I can adjust the lat/lon values using xml code but I cannot find a way of placing the object. Do I just whack the .xml file into Addon Scenery/scenery or must I compile first? I'm using SBuilder for VTP/LWM polys but for object placement it wants rwy12 or library objects. As I say, these I have not got - just a .bgl and an .xml file. I'd prefer not to have to learn another program :(

Supporter.png

John

I'm using Rwy12 to place object on a new FS9 scenery but have a .bgl file which is not in any of the libraries I know how to make an .xml from this .bgl and adjust the lat/lon but I cannot find a way of placing the object. I'm using SBuilder for VTP/LWM polys but for object placement it wants rwy12 or library objects. These I have not got - just a .bgl and an .xml file. I'd prefer not to have to learn another program :(
Just to understand. Are you saying that you have a bgl file that contains some objects but it does not have the xml file that is needed to use RWY12 to place it in FS9?

Just to understand. Are you saying that you have a bgl file that contains some objects but it does not have the xml file that is needed to use RWY12 to place it in FS9?
I have a .bgl file which contains a single object - a 140 ft war memorial from the 1860s. It is going to be placed on a hill near an airfield. I know how to make an .xml file from this .bgl and if necessary I might manage to use cooktop 2.5 to adjust the lat/lon in xml code. If I did this, what then? Alternatively, and preferably, I would just like to provide the lat/lon and altitude and get some object placing program to place this little .bgl! Thanks!

Supporter.png

John

I have a .bgl file which contains a single object - a 140 ft war memorial from the 1860s. It is going to be placed on a hill near an airfield. I know how to make an .xml file from this .bgl and if necessary I might manage to use cooktop 2.5 to adjust the lat/lon in xml code. If I did this, what then? Alternatively, and preferably, I would just like to provide the lat/lon and altitude and get some object placing program to place this little .bgl! Thanks!
Out of curiosity, is the BGL from anothers scenery? Is your scenery one you plan to share? Keep in mind that unless an author has granted permission for the use of their objects for others sceneries, it's a big no no to upload them or use them outside of your own computer.

Best, Michael

KDFW

Well you should just be able to refer to the guid of the object in a small xml placement code. The placement xml code needs to be compiled using BglComp. Sometimes objects like this have placement code in the bgl file with them. This might lock it into a geographical location. You would just need to try it out. Based on your comments above I think you are saying that you would decompile it and change the lat/lon data in the xml. I guess that means you have already looked at it and it contains placement code. If you create a modified xml file then you would compile it with BglComp. The problem comes where there is a model in the bgl file. That does not come out in the xml but some decompilers might create an mdl file as well as the xml. The best thing would be to use an object placement program and use the guid of the object to define the object and your own co-ordinates. If this works fine, if not then you would have to deal with the geo-locking of the object in the original bgl file

Out of curiosity, is the BGL from anothers scenery? Is your scenery one you plan to share? Keep in mind that unless an author has granted permission for the use of their objects for others sceneries, it's a big no no to upload them or use them outside of your own computer.
I know this, but thanks anyway. The .bgl was very kindly made for me by a well known scenery designer. We cooperated on it - I took on site photos etc. He made the object in gmax. Problems now are that he made the original version for use with FSG mesh but I would also like to have a version for use with default FS9 mesh. The designer chap has gone to ground but hopefully will answer my emails/PMs before too long. I left a message on his forum also.

Supporter.png

John